iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fix'in fence, irrelavent pics

Started by sandhills, May 21, 2011, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I was fixing fence at one of our pastures today, one of the fences runs right through a tree line with a lot of old cottonwoods so a chainsaw is pretty standard equiptment for the job.  Anyway I found this close to the end of the fence line and thought it was kind of neat.

Don't think I could have split that cedar any better with a saw. :)  There was a small crotch in the cedar right where the top of the old cottonwood hit and split it almost perfectly right to the ground.

WDH

Looks a lot like some trees that I have felled  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Whats the chance that would happen again  :D Very unusual for sure.
Bill

isawlogs

Split rail fencing o'naturel !!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WildDog

It looks like awkward going through there Sandhills, do you get many trees across your fence?
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

fishpharmer

The original "log" "splitter." ;D     Thanks for sharing sandhills, I find those things interesting too.

A similar, but different, thing happened during hurricane Katrina.   An ~eight inch dbh loblolly pine blew over onto the top of a metal T post.  The post stayed upright. The tree was impaled by the post, which stuck in it several inches, suspending the tree at an angle.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Norm

Cool picture, thanks for sharing.  :)

sandhills

Quote from: WildDog on May 22, 2011, 03:03:21 AM
It looks like awkward going through there Sandhills, do you get many trees across your fence?

Only when the wind blows  :).  Actually about the only trouble we have is with the older cottonwoods, there's not much left holding them up, I cut one off the fence in a field I farm and everything was rotten except about a 2" rim around 2/3s of a 30" diameter log.

Magicman

Very neat indeed.  Barber chaired by another tree and still standing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!