iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberLok predrilling required?

Started by Clover, February 01, 2018, 04:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

I'm building a timber/post beam addition again that won't be using traditional joinery. I'm using TimberLok screws but this will be in hardwood, very hard as it's dried a bit. The beams and posts will be red and white oak with a sprinkling of scotch pine. These things have grown in hard clay so they have very dense growth rings. Will a TimberLok pull itself though an 8" beam without predrilling? I will be using an impact driver dewalt. I used different 8" screw before and broke some trying to drive them. Probably 20% of them. Regular screws would all break half way in, even self tapping deck screws. Nails? Forget about it.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Don P

Sometimes. Ledgerlocks or log hogs are a little heavier. Just gotta 'speriment. In dense hardwood you can predrill up to 90% of root diameter. I've hung quite a few in white oak. Wax helps.

ChugiakTinkerer

I've driven them through pressure treated 6x6, probably hem/fir.  No drilling required in that instance, they were frozen too.  Did have to make sure my batteries were topped off for the impact driver.
Woodland Mills HM130

Dave Shepard

I built a cattle corral from fresh black locust usung TimberLoks. I seem to remember having a drill for predrillng and another with a driver bit on it. Dried oak I think would need predrilling. It would think it would certainly make the driving go better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Clover

I did some more research on the TimberLok screws and they appear to be good quality with a self tapping end on them.

Does anyone know of comparable screws from competitors?
Thanks for the help.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Dave Shepard

GRK RSS have more threads, and usually are cheaper. They have a 5/8" head like a HeadLok.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Clover

Thank you that's what I'm looking for. Cheaper is a relative term when it come to using components outside the norm. That and the fact I live in Canada so add 50 to100% to your costs and you will get mine.

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!