iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st Day of Revenue

Started by boonesyard, March 09, 2019, 07:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

Well, it's been a great 1st year of learning. We've learned so much here on the form, cut our own logs, made some good moves and made my share of mistakes (I still thinks thats the best way to learn  ;D). We finally made the leap and took on our first portable sawing job for a customer. 

The project is sawing 5/4 and 9/4 (mostly elm) from salvaged urban logs for a large, reputable customer. I knew it would be a difficult job due to the not-so-perfect logs and plenty of trash metal to deal with, but we made a reasonable deal that should work for both of us. I'm fortunate in that this is not our sole source of income and I can give it a try without breaking the bank. I've got a lot to learn and this job allows me the freedom (and some income) to do that. It's been crazy cold and snowy up here (we're in another winter storm as I wirte this up) but yesterday got to 25, so we decided to spend the day on site cutting. 

We set up here for the day, but in the future, we'll move to a different area on the property. There was a slight uphill pitch to the loading arms, I need a bigger cant hook (or maybe level ground) stupid_smiley. Lesson 1 

We cut 9/4 all day. They wanted one live edge on most, these were some of what we did.

We've got a few left  :). Most of what you see were delivered by side dump, so the owner sorts through them, cleans, bucks and ques them up. Many more loads on the way. 

I've got the sawing bug BAD! We did OK for our first official day. About 2,200 bf while dealing with frozen elm, 8 blades (5 ruined to metal strikes), heavy slabs and
our newbie experience. All-in-all it was a good day. I look forward to getting a lot better at this with all of your expertise.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

GAB

In the logs that you hit metal was there blue stain on the stump side of the log?
I'm curious if elm shows stain from metal like some other species of trees do.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

boonesyard

Not that we could see at all. I can't get over how deep some of the wire, nails and screw are under the bark and how deep it can go, crazy.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Mike W

Boonesyard,

congratulations on your first "paying" sawing job.  Sounds like you have a good working partnership with the log owners and expectations to get you up and going without too much stress on the customers "over expectations" from the lumber out of said logs.

You got that right, the 'saw bug' is vicious, I think its one of the worst addictions out there "sawdust addiction"  with all the horrible news out there on the masses OD'ing on this and that, keeps the media busy, just hope they don't get wind of the horrid "sawdust addiction"  then you'll start seeing news stories of those peeking over wooden yard fences at that big ole oak tree with a useless tire swing hanging from it, or the guy who suddenly comes to a screeching halt on a major highway to gawk at a tree stand off in the distance, while an eight car pileup builds behind them. ::)

best of luck to you, keep the posts and photos coming, we all like the pictures ;D 

boonesyard

Mike,

You're exactly right! Since I bought the saw, it's changed my persepctive on on how long the road trip really takes. A guy really does need to slow down or take the long route to look at shelter belts, wood lots, downed trees, big trees, small trees (and the beat goes on). I'm hooked 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

GAB

Quote from: boonesyard on March 09, 2019, 07:19:21 PM
Not that we could see at all. I can't get over how deep some of the wire, nails and screw are under the bark and how deep it can go, crazy.
Thanks for the reply.
Cutting 1 inch boards one day on the third or fourth pass I sawed a square head 1/2" lag bolt in a pine log.
Blade went into the customer's metal dumpster.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: boonesyard on March 09, 2019, 07:04:37 PMWe set up here for the day, but in the future, we'll move to a different area on the property. There was a slight uphill pitch to the loading arms, I need a bigger cant hook (or maybe level ground) stupid_smiley. Lesson 1
Congratulations. I understand sawdust is only slightly less addictive than cocaine and there are debates in some quarters about that.

On the larger cant hook look down below on the sponsor's areas at the LogRite special offers. May be a great time to upgrade/add to your equipment list.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

boonesyard

GAB
I've reshaped my share of blades during this past year, but I hit a lag bolt yesterday that reshaped it like I haven't seen. Every tooth was severely bent down at the same angle. I'll try to remeber to take a pic tomorrow, interesting to the tune of $25.

WV Sawmiller
I'll check out the cant hook specials. I've got a 48", but we moved some big ones yesterday that we had a 48" and two 60" on to move (again, the slight uphill thing). Even with th right setup, I think I want something I could move the world with, maybe the 78"er.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

WV Sawmiller

Boonesyard,

I think each of us need a 78" Logrite in our kit. 

BTW/FWIW - do you have a MagicMan special? Take the hook off a cant hook or make one if you have the skills and equipment, attach it to a short length of chain (I think I have about 30" of 1/4" chain on mine) with a chain hook on the opposite end. I take 1-2 6' pieces of 1/4" chain with hooks on each end. On those big ones especially if they don't want to roll over because of sweep or a stub or such I drive the cant hook into the top of the log, open my movable hydraulic clamp wide open, raise it a couple of inches and hook the chain to the clamp then adjust the chain as tightly as I can. Then I close the clamp moving the log about 2' at a time. I may have to repeat a time or two but usually one pull is enough to roll the log over onto the arms. 

Also sometimes the claw alone is not enough to turn a really big heavy log and you may have get an assist from movable clamp.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mossy Chariot

Boonesyard,
Looks to me like you had a great first payday!!
Mine was the day after Christmas and only 250 bf of Tupelo. 
My customer did send a picture of a table he made. 

Keep that sawdust flying!!!!

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

boonesyard

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 09, 2019, 09:00:47 PM
Boonesyard,

I think each of us need a 78" Logrite in our kit.

BTW/FWIW - do you have a MagicMan special? Take the hook off a cant hook or make one if you have the skills and equipment, attach it to a short length of chain (I think I have about 30" of 1/4" chain on mine) with a chain hook on the opposite end. I take 1-2 6' pieces of 1/4" chain with hooks on each end. On those big ones especially if they don't want to roll over because of sweep or a stub or such I drive the cant hook into the top of the log, open my movable hydraulic clamp wide open, raise it a couple of inches and hook the chain to the clamp then adjust the chain as tightly as I can. Then I close the clamp moving the log about 2' at a time. I may have to repeat a time or two but usually one pull is enough to roll the log over onto the arms.

Also sometimes the claw alone is not enough to turn a really big heavy log and you may have get an assist from movable clamp.
WOW! As I read this post, I could see it working in my head, genius. I'm taking a week of vacation in a couple weeks to work on this customers logs and I guarantee I'll have an MM special ready to go. Thanks
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

boonesyard

Mossy,

Never been around any Tupelo, but it sure looks like a keeper. I'm a little jealous of the species variety some of you guys get to play with.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

WV Sawmiller

Here is my MM special in use with John turning a really gnarly walnut crotch. If you own a hydraulic mill you need one of these.

Howard Green

boonesyard

I think I've got something in the shop that will work well for the hook. After I move all of this snow today (probably take 6-8 hours), I'll be putting one together. Thanks for the pic.

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

GAB

Quote from: boonesyard on March 09, 2019, 08:43:43 PM
GAB
I've reshaped my share of blades during this past year, but I hit a lag bolt yesterday that reshaped it like I haven't seen. Every tooth was severely bent down at the same angle. I'll try to remeber to take a pic tomorrow, interesting to the tune of $25.
The lag bolt I sawed I hit almost perpendicular to the shank in both directions and I made it through.
The last 2 feet of log beyond it the blade was diving bad.
What you charge for a damaged or destroyed blade is your business.  
I charge what the last blades I bought cost each (including freight) and $10.00 for lost production.
Try and stay away from ceramics I hear that is bad.  So far I have not tangled with any.
Wish you some Happppy Sawwwing.
Gerald

Southside

Quote from: GAB on March 10, 2019, 11:13:08 AMTry and stay away from ceramics I hear that is bad

Ceramic insulators make sawing a lag bolt seem like cutting cedar.... and just in case you are curious a chainsaw striking the same invisible insulator will make the same noise as the bandsaw made...>:(
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

boonesyard

This is the band I talked about in my original post. We hit a lag and it bent all of the teeth in the same direction at almost a 90 degree angle. I think Woodmizer resharp would have their hands full trying to reset this one   :o

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Stephen1

I gave up trying to fix foreign object hit blades. I fold them and step on them in front of the customer. I then charge $35 a blade. I only saw by the hr so the customer looses the production not me.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

:o  That blade is a total wreck!!  :-X

Here are my Magic Hooks.  I made both of them from broken logging tongs.  The hook from a discarded wooden handled cant hook/peavey would work.

The hooks are also available from Logrite: Replacement Hooks - LogRite Tools LLC
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

That blade reminds me of a blackfish (tautog). Teeth sticking out sideways. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

I made my Magic hook from an old headless cant hook from a flea market, 3' of 1/4" chain, a cold shut to connect the two and a chain hook on the other end. It works fine but if you make one from a LogRite hook I assure you it will work better as their hooks are much sharper and probably stronger. Mine was dirt cheap.
Howard Green

GAB

Quote from: boonesyard on March 10, 2019, 11:54:20 AM
This is the band I talked about in my original post. We hit a lag and it bent all of the teeth in the same direction at almost a 90 degree angle. I think Woodmizer resharp would have their hands full trying to reset this one   :o.  

I've never bent or seen teeth bent like that.  You might want to consider saving that one for the day you want to start a band saw destroyed sawing blade museum.  That one is definitely a conversation piece.
The blade that terrifictimbersllc removed from his mill at Bruno's in September '18 would be another museum or conversion piece.
In my opinion both of those blades are not remanufacturable to original specifications.
Gerald

OffGrid973

If you haven't already spend the money on a metal detector and catch up those items before the sparks if possibles.

Sometimes it's just easier to save the bad one for the end and discuss firewood option vs blade costs :)

Keep up the sawdust and post pics, congrats on the successful day.b
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

terrifictimbersllc

This is the blade GAB is referring to that was "re-manufactured" at Bruno's. Haven't found out what did it. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom the Sawyer

I have had one blade that hit something and turned all the teeth the same direction.  It was a bundle of 3/8" chain that someone had 'stored' in the crotch of pecan tree many years ago.  No stain, stopped immediately, didn't cut through a single link and had to chainsaw the plank, couldn't back out when all the teeth were turned almost 90° to the same side.

Ceramic insulators don't turn the teeth, was able to resharpen this one but it only cut about 1/8" into the surface before I got it shut down.

This one stripped the teeth off the blade (didn't get a photo of the blade), and stopped it dead in its tracks.  Armor piercing round (no where near a firing range).

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!