iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying hard not to swear - guy cutting great trees for posts :( (photo heavy)

Started by asy, October 03, 2005, 07:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Well, we are on the prowl for a block of dirt again. Found one we both really like, unfortunately no house this time, but that's fixable :D

Went there on the weekend to have a looksee again, and try to drive over it, although it's a bit big at 2000 acres to drive the whole thing, as it's thick bush mostly.

Now, while we were there, the owner, who's an elderly greek merchant, and knows nothing about bush, and his son who lives there, who knows less about bush than the father...  told us that there's a guy named Bob who comes and takes fallen trees and cuts them up as fence posts. "He only takes the old crappy trees and cleans the block up" or so bob tells them, and they don't really know better.

Well, we found the cut sites old bob uses. we were NOT amused.

Here are just a few photos of what we found...

This is his abandoned site, he's moved on from here, presumably what's left is rubbish.

This is the middle of the logs that obviously get left behind, they are littered everywhere.

More of the logs he's left at his last cutting site.

Leftovers again...

And another left over...  Now, don't tell me they are cutting FENCE POSTS out of this...

Andy and the owner's son looking over the site...

THis is the log at his new site, next to his tractor.

Shot for size comparison.

More...  at the same site

And more.

We followed the tractor tracks through the woods to this stump.  Yup, totally obvious he's only taking fallen trees, don't you think???

One of the mid sized trees on the property, just FYI!

Now, back to Bob...

He's supposed to be paying the owners $1 per post. Now, my estimate is that he gets about 90 posts from a tree, so the owners get about $90. Theoretically. However in the last month or so, the owner reckons he's only got about $50. Guess how fast this guy's going to be off the property if we take it over?

WHat makes me most cross is that there are literally DOZENS of trees this same size laying on the ground around the site, he hasn't taken any of these. And he's cutting magnificent timber that's absolutely stunning, up into FENCE POSTS!!!

Now I've finished fuming. THanks for listening guys.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

That is heartbreaking seeing the landowner being victimized by his own ignorance >:(.  Happens all too often.  I hope you get the land and give this vulture the bum's rush. That is beautiful timber . You call 2000 acres "a block of dirt'" WOW :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Doncha know, trees are free? I mean, they grew by themselves so shouldn't the person get them for almost nothing?

Yes, I am being sarcastic but I swear that seems to be the attitude of so many.

Fred
So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Funny you should mention that, Fred, while we were there another couple of guys in a ute (pickup) pulled up and started loading stuff into it. Nice stuff.

AParrently the locals have been using this site as their own backyard for far too long. They're gonna get a rude shock if we take it over.

We'll probably be looking for someone to manage the site, and take trees of responsibly. Look after the internal roads, and the Gravel Quarry on site. Should be interesting, and I gotta tellya, not sure I'm looking forward to looking for someone who's gonna be able to do it. Still, there's more than a full time job on site, and enough lumber to build a city, let alone a house or three... 

woodbowl

Asy, I am trying to visulize the cutting technique used. Are those chainsaw marks, or is he using a swinger? Are the cuts beeing made around part of the log as in peeling a big carrot?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Kirk_Allen

DanG

Looks like he might have been quarter-sawing with a swinger.  Strange technique, though.  Sure don't look like he was making fenceposts.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Well, there's one log that's been quartersawn, and it was chocked up on rails and everything. But it had been abandoned and he's moved on to the next site. This was the only log we saw that had been sawn like this.

Most of the others have been sawn radially with a Chain saw. The saw marks were not straight, and the middle of the tree has been left as rubbish. I didn't see any evidence of any sort of milling equipment, and the owner's son says he hears the guy using a chain saw...  But they really don't understand the value of the timber.

I am still shaking my head at what kind of moron would use such beautiful timber as fence posts. And what sort of man he'd have to be to lie to the owner...

Anyone wanna come manage it for us? lol

Frank_Pender

Asy, I am tempted to buy the land to keep all of the jerk form ripping off the logs and lumber. >:(

What is the asking price?
Frank Pender

Paul_H

I might be missing something but most of those logs appear to have some serious shake issues and other defects.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Corley5

Looks like a lot of work to make fence posts.  I'd be cutting the smaller trees that are just the right size ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

I was looking for a stump, but didn't see one. Thought maybe the duplicate picture was to be the stump, so looked in the gallery - but didn't find any of the pics?  Are the pics not there? 

Hope Asy can get the 'dirt' and then the mill so then the house.  Interesting 'bush'.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

2000 acres is a lot of land to patrol when there are already people who think it is their's.

The pictures aren't being stored on the Forestry Forum Gallery, Frank.  She's linking to an off-site storage facility.

Roxie

Well now, I wondered how your weekend turned out, and here ya are!  I agree with Tom, and I told ya that 2000 acres is not a farm, it's a small country!   :D
I'd be real curious to hear Bob's side of the story, because somewhere between what the owner is saying and what Bob has to say would be closer to the truth.
If this goes through, how long would it take to build a house on the property?
Say when

Furby

asy

THanks guys, didn't notice the duplicate, it's fixed now.

Rox, it is like a small country! it's amazing!!

pigman

asy said    "Yup, totally obvious he's only taking fallen trees, don't you think???"

He's right. After he cut the tree down it was a fallen tree. ::)

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ernie

Asy

Jan and I are coming over to Brisbane at the end of the month for  about 4 days to see daughter, SIL and most importantly our grand daughter, It'd be nice to meet up and have a gekko at your bit of dirt if it's convenient.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

It was like that on this place before I bought it.  The previous owner hadn't done anything with it for 10 years, so the neighbors was all usin' it like it was their own.  They were running cows on it and cutting the hay for themselves, storing hay in the barns, picking up the pecans, etc.  I locked'r down when I bought it.  Told'em I had plans for all the barns, and needed the pasture for my horses.  I was like a turd in the punch bowl around here for quite a while. ::)  Know what, though?  All but one of'em are either dead or moved away, and the one that's left has always been cool about the whole thing.  He doesn't live here, anyway, but comes to check his cows every couple of days.  I guess I'm the "old guy" around here, now and it's only been 12 years. 

If you get the place, just be friendly but firm with all the locals.  Let them know that the place is private.  They'll grumble a bit, but will respect you more in the long run. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

asy

Quote from: DanG on October 03, 2005, 11:26:22 PM
If you get the place, just be friendly but firm with all the locals.  Let them know that the place is private.  They'll grumble a bit, but will respect you more in the long run. ;)

THat's exactly what we'd planned. A simple sign at the gate saying the property is privately owned, and is patrolled, and anyone with any business best make themselves known.

Also we will be very serious with anyone who still comes on and uses the resources. That should get around. And although I'll not set out to put anyone offside, if I have to do so to protect my dirt, I will.

Ernie, the block isn't near Brissie, it's about 3 hours away. ALthough if you're around, let us know maybe we can meet up for a cuppa!!!

Quartlow

Quote from: asy on October 03, 2005, 09:57:43 AM

Anyone wanna come manage it for us? (I typed lol instead of using a Forestry Forum smiley, whats wrong with me?)

You buying the sawmill? wonder what it would cost to ship a container full of tools to asy. I could just bring my poor old breezewood mill, you gonna pay my moving expenses?
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Jeff

Quote from: Tom on October 03, 2005, 11:41:21 AM
The pictures aren't being stored on the Forestry Forum Gallery, Frank.  She's linking to an off-site storage facility.

I didnt notice that before Tom with my fast connection.

Asy, your photo file size is way to large for the forestry forums dial up members. That size is simply not allowed. They woun't even be able to see this thread it will take so long to load. In fairness to all the other members tha do, please learn to use the forum gallery, until then I am changing the photos to links so the page will load in a reasonable time.

Here is the link to get you started using the Forestry Forum Gallery:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=12416.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

Quote from: Jeff B on October 04, 2005, 07:33:31 AM

They woun't even be able to see this thread it will take so long to load.
Now Jeff, It loaded up fine on my slow dialup. I started the download, went out and sawed  two  thousand bdft of lumber and got back just as it was finishing the down load. :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

BW_Williams

Asy, I see alot of fencing in your future :D Or 1 redneck, a lawn chair and a shotgun :D
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Thank You Sponsors!