iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grass lawn people?

Started by Firewoodjoe, May 18, 2015, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Ok my wife is after me to get the yard nice. I planted Scott's seed about 5 years ago. Never really took good. We have very sandy soil and no irrigation. I don't want to start all over if I don't have too. Could I put small amounts of top soil and seed over the current yard? Or what should I do?

customsawyer

Keep in mind grass don't grow till the soil temp gets up. Scott's is good at telling people to seed and fertilize with their product long before it is time to.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

luvmexfood

First thing would to be to get a soil sample from your lawn to see what type of nutrients your soil needs and if needs any lime etc. You can usually get these done for a low cost from your county extension office or what ever they are called in your state.

Second would be to either call the Scott's toll free number or use there interactive web site to get specific information that is geared for your area. Best time to seed, what products are recommended for your area etc.

Scott's does have a product called Turf Builder LawnSoil that you can apply and then seed directly on top of it. If you have a large lawn the cost of this can add up quickly.

If your grass is fairly thick you may get by with just a Weed & Feed application followed up by an application of lawn fertilize later in the summer.

Hope this helps some.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

clearcut

Artificial Grass? Hose it down a couple of times a year. No weeding, feeding, mowing or other maintenance. Some of the new products look very good.

I agree with the soil sample, include organic material in the assessment.

Otherwise, the solution to sandy soil is compost, compost, and more compost. Till it in, rake it smooth, and seed. Then water lightly but often until the seed germinates. After it roots, water it deep.

If you really don't want to start over, broadcast compost, rake it in, reseed bare spots, and water. Repeat until it looks good, or as good as it can using this method.

Hose end timers are an inexpensive option to permanent irrigation.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

straw, seed, fertilizer, and water,  then fuel for the mower ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gspren

Scrape all the top soil off, spread 4-6 inches of crusher run stones, spray regularly with Roundup, now watch the grass grow, that's how my driveway works.  >:(
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

sandhills

Quote from: gspren on May 19, 2015, 08:51:46 AM
   Scrape all the top soil off, spread 4-6 inches of crusher run stones, spray regularly with Roundup, now watch the grass grow, that's how my driveway works.  >:(
:D :D :D :D :D I am laughing with you, not at you  ;).  I might have to try your method in my cornfields  ;D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Get a grass seed that grows in sandy soil. Call a local Golf Course and find out what kind of seed they use on their fairways.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Firewoodjoe

Calling a golf course is a great idea. I have one about two miles from me. You wouldn't think they brought in good top soil for all that. And there's red pine planted around it haha must be sand. But they'll prolly not want to waste there time with some goof asking about grass seed:/

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 19, 2015, 08:14:52 PM
But they'll prolly not want to waste there time with some goof asking about grass seed:/

Why not? They let a goof like me play golf on a golf course.  :D :D :D

jueston

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 19, 2015, 09:02:22 PM
Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 19, 2015, 08:14:52 PM
But they'll prolly not want to waste there time with some goof asking about grass seed:/

Why not? They let a goof like me play golf on a golf course.  :D :D :D

letting you walk around down range at the driving range while they try to hit you isn't what most people call "playing golf"  :D :)

but i'd give the golf course a call and just ask for whoever is in charge of there grounds keeping, chances are he will waste 15 minutes on the phone talking you. he probably doesn't get much chance to brag on his hard work, and this gives him a chance... maybe start out with some compliments about his work....

there are entire degrees focused around grass and how to keep it looking good, the really big really expensive golf courses have teams of these college educated grass experts....

sandhills

Firewood Joe the golf coarse would be a great place to start but you may have to put on a dress though, I'll let Poston handle the fashion side of this  :)

beenthere

Maybe just contact the Turfgrass Science dept. Mich State Univ. for some "local" help.  ;D

http://turf.msu.edu/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandhills on May 20, 2015, 03:21:05 PM
Firewood Joe the golf coarse would be a great place to start but you may have to put on a dress though, I'll let Poston handle the fashion side of this  :)

You had to say it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Firewoodjoe

sandhills

Sorry David, I did  ;D.  Just so ya know I can take it as well as I can dish it out  :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandhills on May 20, 2015, 09:37:56 PM
Sorry David, I did  ;D.  Just so ya know I can take it as well as I can dish it out  :)

I don't like to pick on people.  smiley_curtain_peek

;D

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!