iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

out with the old in with the new

Started by Dana Stanley, August 18, 2019, 07:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana Stanley

I Ordered a Husky 455 w a 20" bar and chain, plus 3 extra chains on Amazon for $400.00. It turns out that Baileys is the vendor! The reviews say something about it being a Swedish model? Seems like a good deal for me. I just need it for occasional cutting realy. I have a small hobby mill and want to be able to cut a tree here and there when needed, but mostly trim logs, and buck to length. So did I make a good choice? Is this a good deal?

I just sold the saw this is replacing, a Homelite 45cc Timberman. I never like it. I don't think I could get it to cut straight from day one. I think it had a bad bar, the chain seemed to have too much side play. I told the guy that bought it it needed a bar,or sharpen chains. I had an extra chain for it that went with it. I let it go for $75.00. I think he got a good deal. He said he wanted it for a chainsaw mill, and he already had chain for it. Not sure 45cc is enough for a mill?
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

sawguy21

The 455 is a good saw for your intended use, you did well at the price. I hope the guy that bought the Homelite doesn't intend to mill with it, it will be fine for trimming and occasinal bucking the smaller stuff (as long as it runs).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DelawhereJoe

A buddy of mine has had one for years now and it hasn't given him any troubles, its a great farm/ranch saw and has cut truck loads of wood for him. He does very little maintenance to it, possibly still on its original spark plug and air filter. He doesn't sharpen the chain either just purchases a new one when the old one only makes dust.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

lxskllr

Wow! I couldn't imagine never sharpening a chain. That's ~$14/day, and assuming I could tolerate the second half the day's lame cutting(and the mediocre second quarter as far as that goes).

DelawhereJoe

You gotta think of Lowes prices $24 - $26 a chain

lxskllr

He doesn't even want to give sharpening a try, eh? Even a terrible job will better than a duster, and certainly cheaper.

sawguy21

Certainly a waste from our point of view but if it works for him...
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DelawhereJoe

I'm just saying that the saw works good even when neglected, not trying to hijack this thread.

Old Greenhorn

II just put in a few hours yesterday and the day before working on a large blow down. I did all the bucking up to 20" diameter with my 450 and an 18" bar (the 450 i Like better than the 455, but they are similar). It's a great saw. I ran 3 tanks through it each day at least and sharpened with every tank working on green Red Oak. I used the 372 on the bigger stuff, it's faster.
 Dull chains put a lot more load on the saw and the operator. I quit each day when I ran out of sweat and went on the other tasks. The better the saw cuts, the easier and faster the work goes. To each his own, that's just the way I do it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dana Stanley

The new saw came in yesterday, looks great! Lots of features, like adjustable oil flow, screw from the side to adjust the chain. A lot heavier than the other one was. What I don't like is the angle of the handle. The top handle near the brake.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

lxskllr

I've heard people preferring Jonsered due to the angle of the handlebar. Basically a Husky, but a little different shape.

Thank You Sponsors!