iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Late yesterday I got my Saw Mill delivered

Started by MRowsh, December 02, 2013, 09:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDinMaine

If you don't have a tractor the best thing you could do is to rent/hire and excavator.  It will make very quick work of pulling out stumps and leveling ground.  Then buy gravel as needed to fill in the areas where mill, truck, trailer and other equipment might go.  I would suggest to leave enough room on both sides for moving logs/lumber/slabs.  You will quickly run out of room anyway and will think of expanding the area. 

This first picture was taken in October of 2012 before I started clearing for my mill site.
Luckily there were no big trees in the area and the one you still see in second picture I wanted to keep.

The photo below was taken in October of 2013. 
I have about 8" of gravel under the mill and where you can see the trailer on the left.  There is a lane of gravel under the area where the tractor is, so a truck and trailer can come down there with logs, unload and back out.  There is no gravel between the tractor and the mill, just skids under the the logs.  All the work was done with the tractor you see in the pictures. I don't take on large jobs at my house, so this is big enough for me.  A shed is coming in the next couple of years. 

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

rmack

Fine looking machine  8)

how many horsepower?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

m wood

if that is your deere i see in the pictures, it will do the job for ya
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

MRowsh

Thanks much for all the good wishes and good comments.

Engine =  38 HP Kohler 2 cylinder air cooled gas engine.

Yes, the backhoe will do the job.

Gravel or washed stone #5 is what I have to use. Possibly about 5 truck loads of it. $350 per truck load delivered.
LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

JSwigga

Whats the throat size between the guides on the LM2?  I'm in the market for a mill
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

MRowsh

JSwigga
I have to measure it tomorrow, but it is about 29 inches if I recall correctly.
Retired US Army.

JSwigga

It's a fine looking mill. 8)  I'm going to call Logmaster tomorrow.
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

Dad2FourWI

Very nice looking mill!!!!

As for the size of the clearing for the mill, etc..... you are far better with too big of a space than too tight!!!

I keep going back and making my working area larger and larger!!!! LOL!!!

I look forward to seeing your progress!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

MRowsh

This morning before heading out, I took 3 feet straight edge and measured the maximum cutting width, it is 30 inches wide. But it can handle 36 inch logs. So, biggest possible cant should possible be 30 inches wide.

Dad2four :  Yes, I will make as big an area as my land allows me. I am thinking of 50 feet by 70 feet area. Have to drop about 20 trees first. Taking the pine stumps out is not that fast. I took one out, and I had to ding around it at least 5 feet deep to break it off. The tap root was so deep in there!!  I had no idea.
Retired US Army.

MRowsh

I measured between the saw blade rollers for maximum possible cut width. It is 29.5 inches.

And the arm can be moved all the way to 15 inches as seen here.

Retired US Army.

Dave Shepard

Being able to cut long stuff without having to squeeze it on just right will be nice.  :) Until someone asks you to cut something 27' long. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Delawhere Jack

I'm a fan of the Orange mills myself.......... but that is one Mack Daddy of a sawmill!  ;D

Happy Milling!

LaneC

Congrats on the new mill. Is this your first one? That looks like one mean machine.
Man makes plans and God smiles

MRowsh

I am color blind !! Just an old school engineer who says bigger and stronger will do just fine.  I am one of those that when few have asked why I carry 45ACP, my answer is = because there is no 46ACP!!
If I could have dished another $5k, this would include a Diesel engine on it too.

And yes, this is my first saw mill. Hope to finish my projects within 5 years and also make few Dollars with it too.
Retired US Army.

beenthere

We'll hope that it handles what it looks like it ought to handle. Time will tell, and hope you keep us posted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

reswire

Awesome mill!  Hope you have many fun filled days ahead! 8) 8)
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

MAI

MRowsh,
Nice looking mill.  Herman is a great guy and always a phone call away.
Have fun!

manoverboard

Awesome! Many happy years of sawing ahead!!! 8)
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

MRowsh

Could not work on land to start clearing a flat area for the saw work area due to weather conditions, but I did started it up without a log on it and worked with levers for a while to get the hang of it. Did the best I could with the clip here one handed. It is better than nothing for those of you who are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJD5CxP7v3g&feature=youtu.be
Retired US Army.

kensfarm

Hope Santa brings you some nice logs to go w/ it!  Very nice!

backwoods sawyer

The only thing I see wrong ??? is that the log supply will run out about the time you get the feel for it :-\
Looks like a good solid machine caplable of having some good production days 8) Once you get the first ding in it  :snowball: you will have quite a work horse ;D and then the logging begins :new_year:
Enjoy your sawmill 8) 8) 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Migal

8) MRowsh I'm a proud fellow owner of a LM 2 LogMaster as well. I love mine. Herman is a great guy as well. I visited Him in at the factory in Nacogdoches Texas. 1/2 day I was sold. Migal
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

MRowsh

Glad to see I am not the only one with LM2!!

How long have you have been using your LM2?  How long is your rig?
Any issues?
Retired US Army.

Migal

Next Feb will be 2 yr.'s It will saw a 24' pretty easy it will go more but why LOL I did get the 34 CAT upgrade You follow what Herman and Ed have taught You and just start out slow and steady speed will come. I use ear plugs and can hear the saw let that be a good judge as how its doing took me 6 band's to find out when they got dull LOL but they will let you know some times real fast and yes the breaking sound LOL but you'll learn watching the saw dust coming off the blade. No major issues I bought some wheel scrapper's because I didn't like how they were wearing but then I learned not to adjust them till the blade has the 6000 psi applied and the In is In and Out is Out is correct. That will be a LM owner thing. I could go on but heck just ask I'm here often.
        Migal
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!