iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 201c needs a bigger brother

Started by ECSScott, August 04, 2018, 11:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSScott

I currently use a Stihl 201c rear handle with 14" bar for cutting and clearing most tree on my dad's farm.  My dad has a Husqvarna Rancher 55 I use for any cuts i cant make with 201c.  Weight on saws is an issue because of health reasons which is why i use 201c as much possible.  I am currently looking at purchasing a Stihl ms-261cm.  I am torn between the 18" and 20" bar on this saw.  I just dont want to go to the Stihl ms-362cm for cost and weight.  I cut hardwood and softwood but not for firewood.  Most of cutting is cleaning and clearing.  I have read of posts here and other places but they were not exactly based on my specific issues.  Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Ianab

The 261 is a good little saw, go with an 18" bar though. It will be better balanced and generally nicer to use. It should cut at least as well as a 55 Rancher, and be lighter. 20" bars generally better suited to a 60cc saw like the 361

18" bar is good for the occasional tree up to around 36" if necessary, you are patient, and know what you are doing.  ;) Means walking around the other side of the tree, and getting cuts to line up etc, so it takes longer, but it can be done safely. 

There are other options for that size saw that may be cheaper, but still a decent saw, like Dolmar or Echo. But if you have a good local dealer that sells Stihl, that's a point in their favour already. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ECSScott

I was concerned that the 20" bar would be too much for 261.  The dealer said he know several people that use a 20" bar.  I do not care for the 55 rancher at all.  Very slow to cut with.  Thanks for info.

olcowhand

Welcome ECSScott,
If you search for "MS 261" above, you'll find plenty of discussion regarding the B/C combos folks are running on their MS 261s (HolmenTree is a good authority.......).
I love mine, and I run a 16" 3/8" Chain (I had the sprocket, Bar & Chain swapped out when I bought it), so I can use common sharpening Tools. I've been admonished by more knowledgeable people here that that is too much chain for that saw, but it does alright.
As a lighter 50cc saw, a 20'' Bar may be a little heavy, and affect the balance.
There's my $0.02 worth (don't try to pay me, I'm not smart enough to calculate the commission, although I'd gladly pay it  :D).
Steve  
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

ECSScott

Since i use my 201 so much i wonder if i need to just bite the bullet and go with 362 with 20".  I concerned a little bit about the weight but like i said i use 201 for anything i can cut with 14" bar. 

Thank You Sponsors!