iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

White oak acorns question

Started by ant888nsmb2, October 04, 2018, 06:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ant888nsmb2

Hi, what position should I put newly planted Quercus Alba (White Oak) Acorns? I read that there's a higher success rate if you put them half in the soil and half out? I always thought they should go under the soil?

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot.

DelawhereJoe

If you do plant them half in half out you will be giving the squirrels an easy meal, right now the acorns at my house are starting to sprout and they just well from the trees.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ant888nsmb2

So you think they'll still grow if I plant them under right?

WDH

That is how the squirrels do it ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ant888nsmb2

ant888nsmb2

So I planted the acorn in a container, it's sprouted the root a little, should I keep the container in the sun or is that bad for the acorn?

GullyBog

Sunlight is fine but make sure your container drains.  The acorn will probably have a little root and a little stem.  The root is better off in the dark but it can get good and warm.  Too wet and warm and things might get moldy.  If you decide to repot it or plant it be careful not to break the root.  The stem is more likely to grow back if it is damaged. After a while the seedling will have used up the energy stored in the acorn and the squirrels will be less interested in it.  Then its the deer that become a problem.  Good luck with a great tree species.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

ant888nsmb2

Normally how long does the stem take to become visible?

GullyBog

The acorn will split in half and the stem will grow up from in between the halves.  It be white and flimsy at first, a lot like a root.  It might take a few weeks.  There are some cool time lapse videos of this on the internet.  If you're really into it find some more acorns and peel the hard thin shell off them then place them up against the side of a clear container or even a big ziplock bag.  You can have a sort of oak tree ant farm where you can see everything. 
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Thank You Sponsors!