iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodland HM 126 vs Harbor Freight sawmill

Started by Shaggy, December 10, 2014, 07:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidaster

Quote from: dukecrazy on November 12, 2015, 11:04:04 AM
I realize I'm reviving an old thread from the dead but I'm now in the same situation as shaggy. Instead of making a brand new thread about the same thing I was actually wanting to get with the guys close to me(shaggy and pidaster) and see if I can check out their mills. What say you gentlemen?

You're more than welcome to come put your eyes on the mill. I may not have anything to run through it at the time but at least you could see what it looks like in person. There were a few things about the mill that needed some attention but for $1600 I'm perfectly happy. If I had access to a Woodland Mill then I could honestly tell you if it's worth it or not. Since I only saw maybe once a month, this will do. Maybe one day when I'm able to saw more and can justify the cost, I'll get a Woodmizer.

dukecrazy

I'd love to come by today even though I know is short notice. If not today, maybe tomorrow?
G3033 LS tractor w/FEL, multiple chainsaws, and Central machinery sawmill.

dukecrazy

It was great getting to meet you pidaster. I gained a good bit of knowledge about the mill just from seeing yours today.  Thanks again. 

seadawg

I have a harbor freight mill and love it. I just wish my health would let me use it more.

pidaster

Quote from: dukecrazy on November 14, 2015, 03:46:57 PM
It was great getting to meet you pidaster. I gained a good bit of knowledge about the mill just from seeing yours today.  Thanks again.
Ditto on the meeting. If you have any questions or need some pictures, just let me know.

breederman

Welcome to the forum seadawg ! A couple of us live very close to Bainbridge .
Together we got this !

dukecrazy

For you guys with the HF mill, have you given thought to upgrading to the 13hp engine at HF? I was in the store tonight shopping for some woodworking items and I walked over and eyeballed the two engines (the 301cc and 420cc) side by side and they look identical with the exception of the 420cc having a key start. It would stand to reason that it would be a direct replacement upgrade for us and at $359 I'm considering it. What are ya'lls thoughts on it?

KirkD

Are they the same shaft sizes as the motor that comes on it? If not you will have to change clutches.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

dukecrazy

I haven't checked out full specs yet to find out but I'm about to go to the site and find out bc I got an email that the engine I want is on sale for 299 which is hard to pass up. 

dukecrazy

PTO shaft diameter, length, height, keyway on the two engines are both the exact same, however, the difference is the shaft end tapped which on the 420cc it's 3/8" 24UNF and on 301cc it's 7/16" 20UNF.

Nomad

Quote from: dukecrazy on November 24, 2015, 01:00:17 PM
PTO shaft diameter, length, height, keyway on the two engines are both the exact same, however, the difference is the shaft end tapped which on the 420cc it's 3/8" 24UNF and on 301cc it's 7/16" 20UNF.
That makes no sense at all.  The bigger engine uses a smaller connection?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

dukecrazy

KirkD

With HF I would question it I bet you will find out it is metric.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

dukecrazy

I wonder how hard it would be to find a new clutch to fit if the one I have won't fit the new engine....hmmm

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

dukecrazy

Will definitely do that then!  For 300+bushings to double my power seems like a no brainer

starmac

It would probably be easy enough to drill and tap the shaft if it was needed.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

dukecrazy

It seems there are a few good options on the table for it. Thanks guys

DelawhereJoe

Dragging this up from the depths, are any of the original posters out there and are you mills still up and running ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

StimW

I still have my HF mill, it still works great.
I haven't had much time to use it because I closed my business, retired, bought 10 acres and moved 50 miles from where I was living and have been remodeling a 4 bedroom house.
I got some pine logs a year ago but they were poor quality, too many limbs but I cut them up just for fun.  :)
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

coyotebait

Thank You Sponsors!