iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building decks for bandmills

Started by ex-Engineer Wannabe, June 27, 2006, 12:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Howdy, All!

I'd like to hear from the homemade bandmill crowd.  Specifically, I'd like to read about how some folks went about developing and building the log decks for their mills. 

Has anyone out there added hydraulics -- perhaps at a later time -- to their mills in the form of log clamps, stops, turners or toe boards?

Perhaps there are manufacturers out there that market these types of hydraulic add-ons?

I've read about a couple of manufacturers that sell powerhead parts and powerhead sub-assemblies, and even complete powerhead/carriages, but I haven't [as yet] been able to find much information relating to the design, construction or modification of bandmill log decks.

As always, thanks so much for your thoughts and suggestions...
Bill  :)

"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

mike_van

Bill, I did my own mill, all electric, not portable. I added hydraulics to it with a small unit I made up. A 5 gal tank, a 2 hp 3phase motor & 2 gal/min pump. There's 5 valves banked together. I have 2 valves for log stops that go up/down about 14",  to turn a log, I bring them up. The log turner I built used the other 3 valves, it's being "redesigned" right now to a bar/chain type turner. The unit only runs when I need it, a start/stop button for the 2 hp motor. Some 15 years ago when I made this up, I got a hydraulics lesson, one of the valves I had didn't have a relief valve, split the pump right in half. Talk about power.  With this open center system, you can keep adding valves as you want or need,  fluid goes in one side, out the other. Even on this small scale,  i'm always impressed by the labor saving power of hydraulics.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Bibbyman

I asked the same question a couple of years back and got a couple of pages of replies.  Maybe it'll be a start.

Looking for suggestions on logdecks

You can do a search on "logdecks" and find a bunch of other posts also.

As for hydraulic units,  I had this one custom built to run power the hydraulics on our WM LT40.  It sould handle a log deck when and if we get one.  It's got a 7-1/2 hp 3ph motor and pumps 6gpm at 2000psi.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Norwiscutter

How has that been working for you? I have been wanting to add a log deck and was thinking of using the log loader hydrolics to run run the motor on the chain infeed. Did you find that there were drabacks to this type of configuration? I would think that the GPM might be an issue with such a set up.  How did you resolve the issues you had with the ultra fast clamping/turning/ etc. that you have with the faster setup or did you just get use to it?
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

ex-Engineer Wannabe

Thanks for the replies folks, but I'm wondering if my choice of words may have confused things somewhat.  By using the term "log deck," I'm referring to the structure the log rests on and, more importantly, on which the powerhead/carriage [the saw itself] rides on.  I'm not, on the other hand, referring to an addition to an existing band mill for handling larger logs [perhaps?].

Nevertheless, that looks like a very impressive hydraulic pump system you've got there, Bibbyman.   Your setup also sounds impressive, Mike.  Do you happen to have any pictures you could post?

Please keep the posts comin,'
Bill  :)

"Measure twice, cut once" -- Don't know who coined this one, but he was pretty wise.

tomboysawyer

I had a https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=18875.0thread%20going%20about%20all%20the%20hydraulics%20added%20to%20my%20mill. This coming weekend we are rebuilding nearly all the structure of Frankenmizer and rechristening him "Buzz".

I do have some pretty good descriptions and larger photos on my blog site (linked here from under my profile).

I didn't do this hydraulic add-on, but it is impressive and I will be modifying it.

I believe this entire machine was mostly homemade with some Woodmizer parts. What he's starting with this weekend is a complete replacement of 20' of his monorail. Since we're doing that we're going to modify and fix other stuff too. I'll be sure to post pics.

jpad_mi

Bill,

I used 3x6x3/16 tubing for the perimeter of the frame (4ft x 20ft) and 2x4x3/16 cross bunks at 24 and 30inch spacing (varies).  On top of the cross bunks I have elevated bunks that are made of another piece of 2x4 tubing atop an inverted piece of 2inch channel with jam screw at each end to adjust the height. The elevated bunks have 2 1/2"x3/8" flat bar welded at both ends that sandwich and through-bolt to the cross bunks. I required the elevated bunks to get a 1inch last cut. The head assembly has the standard v-groove casters riding on 1x1/4" inverted angle that is welded to the top of the outer rails.

Roller toe boards/tapers :  I started with four grade 8, 1inch nuts and drilled them out with a 1inch hole saw. I ground the ODs down until they fit inside 1 1/2inch sch40 steel pipe and welded them in place. A piece of 1inch solid bar was used for the shaft, which and I gun- and cross-drilled at both ends to grease the make-shift bushings.  The ends were laboriously cut out of 3/4x4inch bar and welded to the shaft. The eBay cylinders that I used are 1.5 bore x 4inch stroke.

My hydraulic posts are functional so far, but are not a good design, and aren't worth discussing. We've got manual clamping and turning.
Jeff P. in Michigan

eamassey

Hello,
I have a log table (deck?) drawn up, but have not worked on hydraulics yet.  My general plan is (1) hydaulic cylinder control of cant backers via linkage rods, (2) two chains with attachments, powered by hydraulic motors, supported by two each hydaulic cylinders, and (3) cylinder powered toe board rollers on each end.  I think air cylinder is the best way to do a clamp.  Does this cover all the functions and is this over complicated?  This plan would take 7 hydaulic cylinders, two hydraulic motors, one air cylinder, lots of valves and tubing/hoses.
EAMassey

Thank You Sponsors!