iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Glad You are Leaving

Started by Magicman, June 26, 2012, 11:00:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Offering a portable sawmilling service, I see different customers in different locations with varied saw jobs.  Most times, the customer is the off bearer.  I give a few instructions beforehand, but mostly it is a hand signal communication situation.  Oftentimes the customer is unaccustomed to work, or particularly handling logs, lumber, and slab work.

I have heard comments like; "not many to go, or that's the last one, or I'll be glad to see those taillights go out of the gate".   Last week one said "I know why Sawyer Brown sold his sawmill and started singing".

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

:D :D  nice mm.  i have some neighbors like that who are always asking me for help.  it's like the old joke they're not afraid of hard work, they'll stand next to it all day!   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Woodsrover

I work best alone no matter what the task but sometimes having help is worth the extra time.

I've been sawing some logs for my next door neighbor and he and is son have been helping me off-load.  His son is a young man with cerebral palsy, but is pretty high-functioning (if that's the right way to put it).  They've fallen these trees together themselves and brought them down on their trailer.  Watching him see this pretty lumber come off the mill and off-loading it and stacking it on his trailer is worth any extra time I could save doing it all myself.  He's never complained even when it was hot out last week.  In fact, they brought the beer and we all had a couple after the job we done.

giant splinter

I would never let any comment bother me,when it comes to hard work there are many people that just don't get it ..... or more like maybe they don't want to get it.
So many others are happy to have someone help cut a beam they would have to wait three weeks to get from a lumber yard or an off sized run of dimensional lumber cut from their trees.  ( at a cost that is normally less than a retailer )
There are still a great deal of individuals who know how to be nice and they overshadow the others that can't figure it out.
roll with it

Kansas

I always thought that far more mills were bought, and people discovered they were hard work, than ever got sold for serious use. Take a look at the number of hours on a lot of mills advertised for sale. I realize a number of factors can play into that, from other work, and everything else. But sawmilling is hard work. You can't get around it.

Magicman

I really did not intend for the thread tone to be negative.  Most are wiping sweat and admiring their stacks of lumber.  Many will want to figure how much it would have cost them at the box store.  But they are still glad that we have finished. 

I'll sometimes ask if they want to go with me to another saw job.  They will reply Nnooooo.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

Unless they have worked in construction or the lumber business, most people don't know how to carry lumber efficiently. I learned very early on to carry loads on my shoulder rather than hold them with my arms. Some people catch on quickly, others have aching arms for a week.....  :-\

Yes, it is still hard work....

steamsawyer

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on June 26, 2012, 03:40:51 PM
Unless they have worked in construction or the lumber business, most people don't know how to carry lumber efficiently. I learned very early on to carry loads on my shoulder rather than hold them with my arms. Some people catch on quickly, others have aching arms for a week.....  :-\

Yes, it is still hard work....

I agree. I'd like to have a dollar for every ton of steel I've carried over the years.

One trick to the heavy stuff is find a helper that is about your size and takes the same stride. It takes practice to get everyone on the same pace to pick up and go at the same time.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

terrifictimbersllc

Last Fall I worked for 2 days with a young man provided by my customer.  Customer said I could expect him (the helper) to be 2 hours late.  With respect to this expectation the young man showed up exactly on time each day. In shorts and sneakers with no socks.  I pulled boards off the front with the board return for him.  There was about a 10-20 foot walk to set the board down.  After a few boards I showed him how it would be easier if he got on the other side of the board from the stack, that way he wouldn't have to turn around with a long board each time.  After reminding him of this cheerfully several times I just gave up and watched him turn around each time, for most of 2 days.  The second day it rained and worked in some of it.  At the end of the day he had on my extra rain jacket, my socks, and my sweat pants.  But it seemed we had a good time. I didn't ask him if he wanted to go with me to the next job though.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

I like to go to saw jobs and let the customer watch my (small framed) wife handle the lumber. They will then start to feel guilty and jump into help. They try to take over and realize how heavy the lumber is. They will then look at my wife and wonder where she is getting the strength to handle their lumber. All I can tell them is that she has handled so much that she knows the tricks to make the lumber easy to handle. The worst thing you can do is pick up both ends of the board at the same time. It took me a while to teach WDH  this trick but I think he is now starting to catch on. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

Several years ago I chided a helper telling him that he was 40 and I was 60.  He replied, "yes sir Mr. Lynn, but you don't understand".  "You are in much better shape than I am in."  I still love to work the young bucks down.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 26, 2012, 09:22:06 PM
  I still love to work the young bucks down.   :)

Slave driver!    smiley_whip
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

As Jake indicated above.  It's all about working smarter, not harder.

WDH

Jake says, "We don't tote boards."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on June 26, 2012, 09:41:38 PM
Jake says, "We don't tote boards."
One of the many good things I have learned on the forum. I saw alone and I have figured out ways to not tote boards...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

Magic, you reminded me of a guy I work with. I started this factory job right out of high school and my trainer was a 60 year old man that had been here over 30 years. I wasn't used to standing on concrete all day and he never hesitated to point out our age difference when I wanted to sit down.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Migal

I would have replied earlier but when I started reading MM's post I told wife think i will resaw those boards from last weekend and fuel everything after greasing yes I still have a day job too! it was only 102 today whats the deal the humidity drops out at around 97  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

morgoon

Quote from: Woodsrover on June 26, 2012, 11:42:02 AM
I work best alone no matter what the task but sometimes having help is worth the extra time.

I've been sawing some logs for my next door neighbor and he and is son have been helping me off-load.  His son is a young man with cerebral palsy, but is pretty high-functioning (if that's the right way to put it).  They've fallen these trees together themselves and brought them down on their trailer.  Watching him see this pretty lumber come off the mill and off-loading it and stacking it on his trailer is worth any extra time I could save doing it all myself.  He's never complained even when it was hot out last week.  In fact, they brought the beer and we all had a couple after the job we done.

Having CP myself and being hooked on sawing, sometimes it is a little more challenging.

However taking time out to sit on the last board of the day before it comes off the mill, and smelling the fresh lumber...well maybe it is a little sweeter :)

I'm stationary right now but looking to do a bit of mobile milling for friends in the near future
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Okrafarmer

Quote from: customsawyer on June 26, 2012, 07:45:17 PM
The worst thing you can do is pick up both ends of the board at the same time. It took me a while to teach WDH  this trick but I think he is now starting to catch on. ;D

:o
I didn't know it was possible to pick up both ends of the board at the same time. My arms aren't that long.  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

I've been doing some milling the last few work days, and have been my own offbearer, as usual. It gets irksome after a while with the 2X12 hardwoods and so on. I went and got the Bobcat to offbear the Tupelo bowl blank slab, though.  8)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Bibbyman

Well before we got a mill, there was a guy south of us doing mobile custom sawing with a Wood-Mizer mill.  He covered a good part of the center of the state with his services. He only ran the mill and required the customer to do all the other labor.

After getting established with our mill, we picked up a couple of his former customers.  One family had five husky young brothers that had all but one built their own homes framed their homes from lumber sawn by him.  They brought us the logs to saw out the major frame parts for the last son's home.  They said the old guy like to have worked them to death offbearing and were glad to just drop off the logs and haul back the lumber.

We take another attitude towards help around the mill.  We allow no customers to help -finding people without experience more of a handicap than a help.  We work in somewhat cramped area with our own way of doing things.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Migal

it's ale good in the hood Love your post's now stay out of the woods lol its ale good lol
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

WDH

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 26, 2012, 11:55:23 PM
I didn't know it was possible to pick up both ends of the board at the same time. My arms aren't that long.  ???

You grab it, alone, and pick it in the middle.  That picks it up on both ends  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I once worked a 6'+ husky guy into the ground sawing framing lumber.  My next saw job for him was again framing lumber, except this time he had his two Sons to do the off bearing.  Both were "body builders", and both of them were completely whipped when we finished.  They worked hard, but never smart.  They worked themselves down.

I just sat in the operator's seat, sawed, watched, and chuckled at their bumbling.

Papa1stuff

Your just mean MM.just mean ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Thank You Sponsors!