iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Urban Pine

Started by Tom, February 23, 2004, 06:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

If the weather holds, I'll be starting this pine tomorrow.  It came from the yard of an old upscale neighborhood.  The pine from a hundred years ago has nothing on this. :)

chet

Them boys sure are purty. Can't say as I'd mind one bit if them boys where lined up on my log deck in the morning.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Corley5

I like sawing nice pine logs too.  Good way to spend a day.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

Nope, came from over there close to where Rusty lives.  Off of 17 at the Cedar River North of Orange Park. :)

Texas Ranger

Looks like a little red heart in that one you'r leaning agin.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

woodhaven

Tom
 Could you float a few up the intercostal waterway for me. I need some 2 X 's and they look solid.
Richard

Tom

Didn't take any pictures today because of the misty rain that kept coming and going.  I did saw some really pretty lumber though.  Quite a few 16 and 20 inch 1x''s and some 6/4 20" wide for table tops (maybe a conference room table for his business). Got a few 2x6's and 2x8's from the trim boards.

Today was a training day as well as mill setup and fighting rain so we didn't cut a tremendous amount.  We did get the bed built to dry it upon.

That Red Heart goes 16 feet up the 20 foot log, Frank.  We stuck a piece of trim up there and it hit nothing until we had nothing to hang onto.  I found metal with the detector about 2 feet up from the bottom.  It was a big screw eye that someone probably put in there for a hammock once upon a time.  We cut it out with plunge cuts from the chainsaw and an axe. He's going to mount it in his office for a converesation piece.

This is beautiful wood. Nary a knot until the very center of the tree.  I was peeling board after board of absolutely clear brilliant yellow pine and admiring every inch. :)

Tracy

I love it when I get to saw NICE pine like those. This weather would make me worry about blueing though.

Tom

I sawed that pine with the Red Heart cavity in it today.  It was 21 1/2 ft long and the cavity ran almost the full length of the log.   I whittled and whittled, cutting 1x12's, 10's, 8's and 2x10's, 2x6's,2x4's  and some shorter 8-12 foot long 2x4's and 2x6's.  What a surprise to find, when we had finished that we produced 357 board feet and there was some stuff in the slab pile that the off-bearer thought he could use, so there was more produced than the 357 feet.   I'll have to admit that it was pretty labor intensive though and took 2 hour to saw.

We were both ready for lunch when it was done and I'm looking for some aspirin tonight. :D

Tom

My neighbor, KW, accepted a job as off-bearer.  He is newly retired and I am enjoying having him around.  We sawed almost 1800 feet today amongst stories of hunting, fishing, an episode of digging lag bolts and a hasp out of a log and visiting with one of the log owners and his son for a couple of hours.

Under the mill is a box containing a new pump sprayer, two bottles of chlorine from the pool supply place and a jig I made for cutting short logs.

The logs on the deck are in the 30 inch range.  Two that we will cut tomorrow are over 46 inches in diameter.
In the background is a stack of lumber getting started and to the right, the backhoe with home-made forks awaits a load of slabs.

I have been so happy to have the hoe.  It has moved these logs where-as we wouldn't have been able to without it.  Hydraulics are wonderful.

etat

I just came in the house.  Been working on the staircase from hades.Super duper compound curve and every stair tread is different.  Starts out in a slow curve, goes up a against a wall a  ways and then it makes a hard left against another wall and curves on up to the top.  Wide at the bottom, narrows some as it goes up, and then widens out again in the hard left, and then narrows some as it goes on to the top. .  I've got a BIG problem with your pine logs mister! !    I know you've heard of the green eyed monster!  Well, that's me right now!!!!  I'm going to put a pine floor upstairs in my house, Got the walls painted upstairs, should finish the stairs  in the next few days, and just about got that bridge built.  I like trimming around one window, and putting the floor down along with the afore mentioned, and then I'll put the floor down and be finished upstairs.  Betcha what I go buy won't be near as nice as what you're cutting!!!!!! :) :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

You wouldn't believe this stuff. I'm cutting 22 inch boards, 16 feet log that don't have a single flaw.  I cut some up into vertical grain flooring 8" wide and was getting two and a flat-sawn 6 inch board out of the middle of the tree. The rest of the tree produced 6" vertical grain with the trim ends producing 5 and 4 inch.  Three of these logs would floor a big room. They are squaring 16 to 18 inches or better.  I wish they were mine. :)

EZ

Nice logs Tom.
Sorry about being a da, but what is a flaw.
EZ

Tom

There are no knots, woodpecker holes, pitch pockets, worms, cracks, shake,................nothing.   Just pure, beautiful, yellow pine.

EZ

woodbeard

EZ, a "flaw" is what the 6" boards will be made into. Tom lives in Flawda, ya know. ;D

Tom

:D That was funny!  :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!