iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Cedar anyone?

Started by Haytrader, February 25, 2004, 06:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

Anyone here interested in red cedar to saw?
A young rancher that is cutting cedar off his dads ranch in south central Kansas asked if I knew anyone that would buy some cedar logs. I said I would ask.
The way he talks, there are some 2'  in diameter and bigger.
If anyone has an interest that is close enough, let me know.

Thanks
Haytrader

PatrickG

I'd love to have some over a foot in diameter at the 10-12 ft point (after cutting) but intend to try to fil my needs more locally.  I want some RUSTIC window trim for a sun porch. There are problems with these red cedar.  Many of the larger ones are rotten/hollow in the center for many feet up the trunk, often with no externally visible indication.

A side note is that the Eastern Red Cedar Plague is being responded to by the various state governments, federal government, associated soil conservation districts, and extension services offices.  The 2002 farm bill (largest in nations history) has been signed into law and is finally getting close to being funded. One priority in the midwest is correction of cedar infestation.  Last year the local soil conservation district paid me a thousand dollars to clear some cedars from my pasture land.  I was reimbursed 75% of cost not to exceed $140/acre or $1000 and I went for the max.  I hope to get some of the Federal money this year or next (2002 bill will run for about 7 years).

Cedars in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and some neighboring states are weeds and are in OVERSUPPLY.

I wish the lad all the luck in the world selling his weeds but it will take some creative marketing, like selling bags of ice to eskimos in the winter.

I am surrounded by farmers/ranchers with cedar infestations.  Virtually any of them would be thrilled to have someone remove cedars from their land for free.  Several I know have taken me out to show me their largest cedars in hopes I would take them.

Right now in Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Texas, selling eastern red cedar doesn't seem like a growth business.  With thousands and thousands of acres being overrun in plague proportions and folks paying $140/acre to have them bullldozed and piled for burning it might be hard to sell what everyone around is paying to get rid of.

If there was a reasonable commercial value to eastern red cedar we wouldn't be paying $140/acre to push them out and pile them up for burning.

:)   Pat    :)

redpowerd

there weeds here too. eastern red, and i aint got a one of em, sucks when i need to do fence. everyone has em but me!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Corley5

I didn't know they were problem.  That's interesting but not cool if they're taking over your land.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

redpowerd

suppose their good for dryin and chokin out your feilds. they spread from rhizomes and the billion or so tiny cones they produce. ive noticed theyre not very shade resistant.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

DanG

Sounds to me like somebody needs to get a mill fired up and take advantage of all those "weeds." Have you priced a ERC board at Home Depot, lately?  The wood is in high demand around here, and will get more valuable as controls on pressure treating get tighter.  
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Percy

In the 50's and 60 's and somewhat in the 70's, Western Red Cedar was considered a weed here in Northern B.C as well. There were huge piles of it at landings everywhere and they were either burnt or buried to make great big landings for log sorts/whatever. Nowadays, with the exception of Alaskan Yellow cedar(Very cool stuff) and uptown Sitka Sruce(tonewood), its the most expensive log around here. I would suggest that, if there is any way possible, to stock pile these logs somwhere. If Ida done that 30 years ago, Id be rich right now ;D.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

redpowerd

the largest one ive sawed was 13'DBH. had about 2' rot.
get one of those big pencil sharpners and make posts. i wonder where the trees come from to make all that lumber?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

DanG

So what's wrong with posts? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

redpowerd

besides the fact i have none, nothin. id like to try one of those sharpners
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

dail_h

Now what would happen if a coupla enterprising YOUNG fellows with chainsaws,and a good sized farm tractor and loader was ta cut and split say a tractor trailer load pf posts, and then take them sayto NY or WI,or somewhere they had lots of cows but not many posts. Maybe a dollar to be made
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

raycon

Lot of stuff..

lord_kenwolf

you guys call it a weed ?  we are paying 250.00 a thousand for it right now. i guess its just a northern thing.
  is the cedar sound with no rot ?  wish we could get it that cheap up here in maine.

redpowerd

up here, a dollar exactly. per post.
you could drive farm to farm. get lucky. i know a few fellers that do that round here. a buck a post, all straight and uniform.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Bro. Noble

There's a place close to us that buys cedar logs and makes cedar closet lining.   They pay well for it.   www.aromaticcedar.com. You might do a search on cedar closet lining to see if there is a closer manafacturer.

Hey Haytrader,  why not haul a trailer load for the guy and visit with Arky and me while you're here 8)

Their headquarters is in Alabama,  but they also have a facility in Gainesville,  Mo.------right close to the blinkin' light ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Haytrader

Patrick,

The "weeds" are everywhere but it does take some effort to get them out of the canyons. There are very few big uns out on the flat. I can saw by myself but it is not wise to go down in a canyon where the cel phone does not work with a chain saw by ones self. It is for sure a two man job and three is better.

I have a load coming Monday for .30 bdft. delivered to my mill.

Noble,

Don't think I haven't already thought of that. Duke wants some of the guys cedar and then we just may see about comeing over your way with a semi load. Have truck will travel.

;)
Haytrader

Thank You Sponsors!