iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally got my mill runnin

Started by Dugsaws, February 28, 2004, 04:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugsaws

Last November my 24 hp onan gas blew up and it was going to cost more than half the price of a new engine, so Idecided to chech on a diesel engine, well to make a long story short, I talked to Timber Harvester and found out what diesel engine they used, found the exact same engine which is Deutz 25hp, and  :o Dang, I do not regret it.
   It feels like this motor has 2 times more power, only uses about 4 gal of fuel in 8 hours compared to 10 gal of gas before for the same 8 hrs 8)
Doug

shopteacher

Glad to hear it worked out for you and your back up and running. What the new engine cost?  Never know when ya might be in the market for one. I like the fuel reduction also.  Buying diesel for off road use will also save you some bucks over gas.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

BW_Williams

Great news, Doug.  They rate diesels differently that gas motors, so you will have noticably more power.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

redpowerd

i havent had much luck with onans either, i swear theyre made by john deere. deutz make DanG reliable diesels.
where did you find the new one?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dugsaws

I found the new engine about an hour east of Harrisburg,I ended up paying 2500 for the new one, but that was through a broker, and talked to the person they got it from and he said it would be 10-15 percent less than that if I would have dealt with him directly.
   If anyone is intereseted I still have the info, but not sure if he has that engine but he should have something very similar.

Doug
Doug

Corley5

SHHHH!! about diesels ;)  Don't tell everybody how much better they are than a gas engine or everybody's gonna start buying diesel cars and the price of fuel will end as high as gas :o. ;D ;D :D :D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dugsaws

:D :D :D that is a good one corley we have a tractor here that will use about 25-30 gallon in 6or 7 hours  :o so not all diesels are that fuel efficeint :D
Doug

VA-Sawyer

Dugsaws,

How heavy is the new engine?  I know that on the older WM saws they are worried about the weight of the head. I talked to my engineer friend at WM about going to a larger engine. He suggested I try to keep the weight in the same ballpark as original.
Mine has two single strands of #40 chain. On later ones they went to a #50-2 chain which is stronger.
How about some close up pictures of the new engine?
VA-Sawyer

Dugsaws

Va-Sawyer
 the engine weighs 212 lbs, I was in the same situatioun with the 2 single #40 chain, but I was able to make new brackets that was setup for a double #40 chain, I talked with Timber Harvester and they said it would support that I will try to post pics the first part of next week

Doug
Doug

Norm

Glad to hear your up and running Dugsaws. I don't understand why every farmer around here doesn't drive a diesel pickup.

I think onan is made by CIH. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!