iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to put a chainsaw outside the cab on a 440D

Started by jdatwood, April 17, 2012, 09:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdatwood

Looking for ideas or photos where to put a chainsaw on a 440D john deere skidder.

MJD

In my 440c I always put it in the hollow below the arch, I did see one where a guy made a bracket and mounted it on the side of the cab/cage just back from the opening, bar pointing down.

jdatwood

Thanks MJD that's an idea. I usually store my gas and tools there. I was thinking of building a bracket on the backside of the cab so limbs wouldn't take out my saw but it's a bit high to reach comfortably all day. For now I have a piece of wood dropped between the two pieces of steel that run at a 45 degree angle beside the winch and the arch. The bar on the saw wedges in there pretty well. I was hoping someone out there has photos of a bracket they built behind the winch or other creative ideas. Taking the 372 in and out from the cab all day is not the answer.

PAFaller

The mill I work for has a 540D and they took some 1x8s and built a framework for the back end. Its trimmed to fit up past the winch and is kind of pinched in there. I dont run that machine much but its pretty handy having that there for saws. I have seen other guys build a box and then use U-bolts to fasten it to the screen in the front windshield. If you check out the Northern Maine loggers facebook page I think there is a pic of that setup somewhere.
It ain't easy...

Tramp Bushler

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to pack a saw on my loader .. finally came up with sideways behind the cab rope thru the handlebar .
On a skidder with no doors or windshield I would build a bracket to set the saw in on the hood/ engine cover . Bar foward. Sweeps should protect it
If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

MJD

Quote from: jdatwood on April 17, 2012, 09:44:59 PM
Thanks MJD that's an idea. I usually store my gas and tools there. I was thinking of building a bracket on the backside of the cab so limbs wouldn't take out my saw but it's a bit high to reach comfortably all day. For now I have a piece of wood dropped between the two pieces of steel that run at a 45 degree angle beside the winch and the arch. The bar on the saw wedges in there pretty well. I was hoping someone out there has photos of a bracket they built behind the winch or other creative ideas. Taking the 372 in and out from the cab all day is not the answer.
I put my gas/oil in the cab and saw in the back under the arch. Gas can on one side of steering counsel oil on the other. 1 gallon gas can and gallon oil jugs fit nice, a bungie cord from one side of the cage to the other if I was in hills to keep them from sliding out into my lap.

UN Hooker

I don't know how the 440 is setup, but this is how I carry a saw on the C-4 TF.

I used two oak boards with two narrow strips of polycarb between them, bolted them together and attached them to the side of the cab. I can remove or replace the saw while standing on the ground. It also makes a handy hand hold when bouncing over rough ground!
                                  UN
Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

acl2

We have a 540b and there is enough room to put your saw between the winch and the arch, with the bar under the arch. I believe the 440d should have about the same amount of room, if im not mistaken. 

jdatwood

I'll give that a try. The 540B rear frame is supposed to be identical to the 440D. I may build a box out of 1x8 PT as also suggested to hold the saw in that area.
Thanks for the idea's.

JJWorker

I made metal hooks that hang from the cage and place my saw handles in them cross ways on the back side above the winch. Works well is a bit of a reach getting on and off but saws are protected well. I always take two!! Larger felling saw and limping saw. I have a third hook that is inside the cage beside the seat that holds my bag with hammer, wedges,water and misc. 

BargeMonkey

I will throw 2 saws on my 440D and take a picture. used to put them under the arch and had ties for them, a 20-24" bar fits nice right straight up and down by the fuel tank, how I carry my saws now on it. fuel, oil and wedges go in the arch. 

mike_belben

shopping carts and pallet racking make real good donor material for window screens and custom gear baskets. 
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

killamplanes

I put 2 660 stihls with 25in bars below my arch in basket. Pointed out so cable doesn't catch them. It works not ideal but that's logging.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

mike_belben

Quote from: Puffergas on July 15, 2018, 12:43:14 PM
Mike, where do you find shopping carts?
Dumped all over the place in any slum USA.  I used to lived on a dead end road with a trail to the projects.  Walmart wasnt far.  Theyd get left in front of my house.
Praise The Lord

AlexHart

I have a 440D but it has a grapple and the saw goes in the back.  The cylinders and a little bracket I made hold it in there pretty well.    When hauling your other stuff I've learned that bungie cords are your friend.   With savy (well... I'm not sure how "savy" it is but its a constant wip) placement you can get a lot of stuff in those little areas on each side of the dash.   I never liked having the saw in the cab with you either for what its worth.  I had a friend get hurt pretty bad doing that.  

Been running a 518C lately and I think I've been forever ruined now.   The cab on that thing is so much bigger you can practically fit a fridge and wet bar in there in addition to all your other stuff.  Wrenches don't even fall out.     

jdatwood

Hahaha, funny I stumbled onto this thread the other day I started years ago. I no longer have that machine and my new one has ZERO issues with storage. I'm sure others will still find it helpful though!

Pclem

Quote from: BargeMonkey on July 14, 2018, 10:04:54 PM
I will throw 2 saws on my 440D and take a picture. used to put them under the arch and had ties for them, a 20-24" bar fits nice right straight up and down by the fuel tank, how I carry my saws now on it. fuel, oil and wedges go in the arch.
Haven't seen the pics, but I was able to fit 2 saws side x side under the arch too. The bars went in more at a 45 degree angle toward the back though, not straight up and down. Couple bungees across the top to keep from sliding out
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Thank You Sponsors!