iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on Tree Farmer C5D with welded serial number plates

Started by jdatwood, July 26, 2018, 07:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdatwood

Good evening members,
I recently purchased another skidder after going without my old one. I wasn't in the market to spend as much as I did on my John Deere 440D. Anyhow, I settled on a very, very, unique 1989 Tree Farmer C5D. I feel like I got stupid lucky to stumble onto a machine like this so quickly, it has exactly everything I want.  It's an extended frame, Deutz F59L12 air cooled 5 cyl diesel, Dual steering cylinder, Steering wheel equipped, C6 Centrax axles, Spicer ES42-5A transmission, Extra 3/4" armor plated belly, rear end cover, Reinforced blade. Point of all of that is every place has a serialized badge on it. I've spoken to DAVCO as they are experts on Tree Farmers and confirmed those were all factory upgrades installed while the machine was new. When the owner saw the machine his jaw hit the floor, apparently they were in his opinion the best variation one could get. He in fact had a small fleet identical to it (mine was confirmed not to be one of his) However......they didn't seem like they'd heard of the badge thing before nor have I ever seen another one with them or one with all the exact same modifications. Does anyone know what those badges mean? What they signify? Why they're there? Were they Tree Farmer factory or some sort of custom shop? I'm super impressed with this machine, I thought I'd miss my 440D but honestly other than the fact I cannot run the blade and steer simultaneously I don't miss my Deere at all. I cannot find a single mention of those plates anywhere on the net... I'm really hoping someone on here may be a former dealer, distributor, or employee and knows exactly what the story is. I like to learn about this sort of stuff. Can you guys help me learn?

Oliver05262

I've seen those plates on a machine near here, and I think it's a C5 also. I'll go visit and post sumpin' in a day or so.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

jdatwood

Southside

Give Kieth at Forestry Construction a call 540-586-6814, he can probably tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your machine, and can help with parts should you need any.  Where abouts in Maine are you?  I am from The County back in the day.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Id bet you can get simultaneous blade and steer by adding a flow control valve.  Id set priority to the steering. 
Praise The Lord

jdatwood

Quote from: mike_belben on July 27, 2018, 09:00:33 AM
Id bet you can get simultaneous blade and steer by adding a flow control valve.  Id set priority to the steering.

I'd like that very much, unfortunately not that easy to my knowledge. The Deere manifold has one, this one does not. Do you have a part number for the kit? If not I'm SOL as it's a tree piece manifold. I'd have to re-invent the wheel for a small nuance. I looked into adding the block from the same manufacturer as it's a modular assembly that is simply built out in components in a manifold. Like anything it can be done if you have enough money. Maybe there's a cheap solution I'm not aware of?

jdatwood

Quote from: Southside logger on July 26, 2018, 11:48:38 PM
Give Kieth at Forestry Construction a call 540-586-6814, he can probably tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your machine, and can help with parts should you need any.  Where abouts in Maine are you?  I am from The County back in the day. 

Thanks, will do! I actually need a part now that's hard to find. I'll see if he has it. I'm from Albion, small town outside Waterville. I'm very familiar with "the county" you know your from Maine when "the county" tells you all you need to know about which "county" the person is referring too LOL. Beautiful up there!

mike_belben

Ive never even drove a skidder much less got part numbers.  

:D

But in general if it can only do one or the other they shared a pump section for the two functions and if space/design allows, a flow divider would make it so both actually get fluid, not just the upstream spool.  May not be practical to do on your machine but id have to be looking at it to even guess. 
Praise The Lord

jdatwood

Quote from: mike_belben on July 27, 2018, 12:52:19 PM
Ive never even drove a skidder much less got part numbers. 

:D

But in general if it can only do one or the other they shared a pump section for the two functions and if space/design allows, a flow divider would make it so both actually get fluid, not just the upstream spool.  May not be practical to do on your machine but id have to be looking at it to even guess.

Well that's a tragedy, driving a skidder is the most fun ATV there is! I agree on the hydros. Deere has a priority valve stacked right in there between the spools.

mike_belben

I am however the proud owner of a currently broken dozer and a host of other highly valuable walnut junk
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Mike, i just like you positive thinking forward pushing personality/attitude and wish you all the best. Better times will come!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Autocar

My C-7 grapple has all welded  serial numbers like that also
Bill

Corley5

My C4 forwarder had welded plates too.  The blade looked identical to the one on your machine.  There was a C5 forwarder on the job next to us and the only difference I could see between the two machines was mine had a 4 cylinder Deutz and the other one had a 5 cylinder Deutz.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jdatwood

So are they just that, serial numbers? Nothing to do with options or anything extra? That's what it's starting to sound like.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

jdatwood

Quote from: Corley5 on July 28, 2018, 06:48:20 PM
Take good care of those Centrax axles.

For sure, sounds like parts are difficult to find. I generally keep that drivetrain stuff flushed with diesel if needed and make sure they have good oil. The transmission and transfer case in this machine were horrible. Transmission had rust colored oil and needed a flush but mechanicals were good. Transfer case had about 10oz of oil in it... All part of the fun getting old iron restored 😁

redneck

There is a fellow here in New Brunswick that has lots of parts for those tree farmers.  I found his ad on kijiji just search for skidder parts.  He is located in New Bandon on Route 8.  I think he bought out the remaining stock from a forestry outfit in Fredericton.   
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Thank You Sponsors!