iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

are they the same

Started by evergreen, March 04, 2010, 09:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evergreen

After looking at the information and the trees themself are norway maple and box elder the same tree?

woodtroll

no, all thought they have similar characteristics they are different.

beenthere

evergreen,  Welcome to the forum.

Like woodtroll says.
Norway is Acer platenoides
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=acpl

Box elder is Acer negundo
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

evergreen

I was reading information on maple suryp making and it was stated that box elder can be tapped but has much lower sugar count could this be true of the norway maple also?

SwampDonkey

Yes.

Black maple as well, but black maple is almost identical to sugar maple. It is also native, where Norway is introduced. How can you easily tell in the summer whether you have a Norway maple or sugar? Break off a leaf, the Norway will bleed milky sap at the break (vascular bundle).

You can even tap butternut and birch if you wish. Yellow birch would have a hint of mint as would black birch. Thinning yellow birch saplings with a brush saw smells like a mint factory in the summer. ;)

Correction: Yellow birch syrup tastes a lot like molasses.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!