iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

+- 55cc saw, what should I buy???

Started by roger 4400, June 14, 2010, 01:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger 4400

Hi everyone. I have 2 Huskies  model 61 that are 15 years old. One of them do not go well even after a carb. rebuilt.( fire seems good, start one day and will not start anymore :-X) I think I,ll use it for pieces for the reliable one.  I would like to buy a new saw, should I go with Husky or Stihl.  I,m looking for the less maintenance possible. I use my saw for felling some maple trees 12 to 24 inches dbh, and now I,m only making +- 30 cords of heating wood ( 10 of your cords so not that much anymore...getting old I guess  :D), and for the lots maintenance. Thanks for your advise. Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

SawTroll

If Stihl still offer the 361 (59cc) in Canada, I would go with that one!

Your best Husky option is the 357xp (56.5cc).

:)
Information collector.

JohnG28

Ill second the Stihl 361...if you can find one new or good condition used get one.  I love mine.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

hawgrider

Thye are both great saws. I love my 361.

Dixton

I run a Stihl 361 with a 20" bar and it is fabulous. Light, punchy and plenty of torque.

I also run a Husqvarna 353 which I run with a 13" bar or an 18" bar.  It is 6 years old and has been dogged, but just keeps going.  In its life it has had 1 spark plug, countless bars and chains and is only on its 2nd drive sprocket.  I have to say that I am v. attached to it and my preferred of all my saws, it is incredible how effortless it is to start, hence I have never had to replace the pull cord.

You might get a good deal on the above models as they are being discontinued.

I would always recommend specifying the heated handles, even if you are not in cold conditions just to help preventing white finger.

John Mc

Quote from: Dixton on June 28, 2010, 05:44:04 PM
I also run a Husqvarna 353 which I run with a 13" bar or an 18" bar.  ...  I have to say that I am v. attached to it and my preferred of all my saws, it is incredible how effortless it is to start...

I've got a Jonsered 2152, the sister saw to the Husky 353. I also like it a lot (but then I'm mostly cutting trees that don't require more than the 16" bar I have on it).

I do wonder if the O.P. might need a bit more power, since he was looking in the 55+ cc range? (353/2152 are 51 cc, if memory serves).

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SawTroll

I run a Stihl 361 with a 20" bar and it is fabulous. Light, punchy and plenty of torque.

I also run a Husqvarna 353 which I run with a 13" bar or an 18" bar.  It is 6 years old and has been dogged, but just keeps going.  In its life it has had 1 spark plug, countless bars and chains and is only on its 2nd drive sprocket.  I have to say that I am v. attached to it and my preferred of all my saws, it is incredible how effortless it is to start, hence I have never had to replace the pull cord.

I would always recommend specifying the heated handles, even if you are not in cold conditions just to help preventing white finger.

My 2003 353G is on the second sprocket rim as well, but it was my prime saw for just over a year, and saw little use after the MS361W was bought. By now the NE346xpg has taken the place as the main saw - but I still like that peppy 361 a lot, and it got even better with the "Andy" muffler on it. I didn't need to remove the carb limiters to keep it in a "normal" max rpm range (can get it down to 13800, but like it better at some more, can't say how much, in case THALL reads on this furum in "disguise").

I don't think that happens often with US saws with similarly modded mufflers.

Anyway, your 361 also surely is an Euro one, made in Germany, and a little better than the US ones you mostly read about on saw forums.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: SawTroll on June 30, 2010, 01:12:20 AM

I also run a Husqvarna 353 which I run with a 13" bar or an 18" bar.  It is 6 years old and has been dogged, but just keeps going.  In its life it has had 1 spark plug, countless bars and chains and is only on its 2nd drive sprocket.  I have to say that I am v. attached to it and my preferred of all my saws, it is incredible how effortless it is to start, hence I have never had to replace the pull cord.

My 2003 353G is on the second sprocket rim as well, but it was my prime saw for just over a year, and saw little use after the MS361W was bought. By now the NE346xpg has taken the place as the main saw - but I still like that peppy 361 a lot, and it got even better with the "Andy" muffler on it. I didn't need to remove the carb limiters to keep it in a "normal" max rpm range (can get it down to 13800, but like it better at some more, can't say how much, in case THALL reads on this forum in "disguise").

I don't think that happens often with US saws with similarly modded mufflers.

Anyway, your 361 also surely is an Euro one, made in Germany, and a little better than the US ones you mostly read about on saw forums.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!