iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"New" Stihl ??

Started by Magicman, July 17, 2010, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, not really new, but now it runs.  This old well used saw was in bad shape, and it's my favorite go-to saw.  It's light, and I have a 20" bar with 3/8 pitch chain on it.  I know, that saw won't pull that chain, but around the mill, I just need to chop something off and keep moving.

It quit running a couple of months ago when the carb clogged up with fine sawdust powder.  I already knew that the cylinder was badly scored.  CHAINSAWR (on the left) had a used jug & piston, so I ordered it and a carb kit.  I found that the rubber "intake manifold elbow" needed replacing, but I found it at my saw shop.

First, I was too busy and then it got too darn hot to mess with it.  Well, today was the day.  I just took it one step at the time and things fell into place nicely.  I forgot the camera until I had almost gotten it all back together.

Almost back together.

Completely rebuilt and shown with the replaced parts.  Happiness is blue smoke.

Thanks Scott at CHAINSAWR.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Nice when you can work on your old non warranted saws ain't it? ;D

This winter I'm going to rebuild my older brush saw engine. I think all I need is new rings, bearings and seals.   8) It works as is, but need something to pass the time. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Oh that saw will pull 20 inchs of 3/8 .It won't be an oak slayer but it will handle it .

boobap

Dang, I could have used that used jug and slug... ;)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: boobap on July 19, 2010, 12:30:13 AM
Dang, I could have used that used jug and slug... ;)

I'm sure Magic would be happy to seen you the one he took off  :D

Herb

Magicman

Scott has a jug listed for $39.95. 

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 18, 2010, 07:38:36 PM
Oh that saw will pull 20 inchs of 3/8 . 

You are absolutely correct because it does pull it.  I keep the chain sharp and the "R's" up and it's fine around the mill.  Saw strength means different things to different folks, depending on it's use and it's operator.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cut4fun

Al you remember that  ported 028 running at the GTG from Va.  :o   fastest dang 028 I have seen to date.   :)

Found the video   8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiglCQYoCao&feature=related

Magicman

The fastest thing about mine now is how fast it starts.   ;)  It's operator is not fast.   :)

Al_Smith

Quote from: Cut4fun on July 19, 2010, 01:06:16 PM
Al you remember that  ported 028 running at the GTG from Va.  :o   fastest dang 028 I have seen to date.   :)

Yes I do and I was amazed at it myself .

I have an 028 Farm Boss in the shed that belongs to one of the trimmers and as soon as I find the time it's going to get pepped up a tad bit .

The 028's aren't bad saws but everybody has  to remember they are only a tad over 50 cc .It the case of a standard 028 it's under 50 .Basically similar in design as the 038 series only smaller .

JohnG28

Nice job Magicman, good to have your favorite back in action. 
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

NWwoodsman

Hey Magicman, I have one of those same saws with a scored jug. How much did all the parts cost if you don't mind me asking. Saw shop wanted $250 to fix it so I brought a new one but I sure did like that 028.
Jason

Magicman

Quote from: NWwoodsman on July 19, 2010, 08:48:04 PM
How much did all the parts cost if you don't mind me asking. 

I don't mind at all.  That's what we are all here for.   :)

The parts from CHAINSAWR were $86.94 which included shipping.  That was for the cylinder, piston, wrist pin, bearing, and carburetor kit.  The rubber manifold boot was $28.40 at my local dealer, but that was my screwup.  I didn't have my peepers on, and poked a screwdriver through it.

CHAINSAWR has a cylinder listed now for $39.95.  He also has a manifold boot for $8.95  :(  but you shouldn't need that.

I would call Scott and get his advice.

Al_Smith

Since you mentioned that 28 dollar price tag on the boot ,that is exactly what the only dealer I deal with out of three locally had quoted me for an 038 .The parts lady was amazed it cost that much .

Good old Scott,$7.50 a pop so I ordered two on Monday and got them on Friday .Now how cool is that . 8)--And by the way I installed it tonight and once again the Rocky special lives another day . ;D--one of the hottest 038's at least on the east coast .If it dies ,I'll build another one .

GASoline71

I got an 028 Super from my cousin all torn apart and sitting in a 5 gallon bucket.  It has a lightly scored P&C... So it should be an easy cleanup and a new set of rings.  After I get all the big McCulloch and Homelites off my workbench... the little Super is next in line.  :)

Great saws!

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Magicman

I'll leave the 310 sitting in  the truck and grab that 028 anyday.  Don't forget new caged needle bearing for the wrist pin.

Thank You Sponsors!