iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Monorail - torsion tube issue

Started by prittgers, August 10, 2014, 09:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prittgers

At the Alaska State Fair, 18 year old Levi Espelin, who has been running his dad's LT40 Super hydraulic was trying to out do the local Wood-Mizer guy by cutting thin, smooth boards. 

The WM guy was on an LTY35.  Levi was using an LT28.  Both are the 'monorail' torsion tube mill design. 

I took a photo of Levi's winning board.  it was full length of the cant and only .032 thick. 

Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

Peter Drouin

You can do that easy ,try it so you can see through the wood well all most :D :D Good job
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Delawhere Jack

So how exactly should you sticker a piece that thin?  :D

prittgers

You have to sticker them with strips cut from business cards  :D
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

BBTom

I was going to say that you had to sticker lumber like that VERY CAREFULLY!
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Delawhere Jack

Pretty cool! Sometimes need to trim a cant to get back onto the quarter scale after turning a cant and get a thin piece (but not that thin!). Clients get a kick out of it.   ;D

Dave Shepard

Cool! :)

The thinnest "board", I've ever cut was by accident. I had repositioned a cant and changed my cutting pattern. I took a shim to get back on pattern and took a cut that was about that thin. I think I've mentioned it on the Forum years ago. It was .03X" thick. I don't remember exactly, might have been .030" or .035", somewhere in there.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brucer

I've done it, and I've seen it done on a Norwood (I challenged the owner to try -- he didn't think he could). I'd expect most of the brand name mills to be capable of doing it.

The mill has to aligned perfectly and you need a decent log and a sharp blade -- anything that could make the blade wander even 1/64 of an inch can do you in.

I claim bragging rights on the thinnest piece, though. I have a piece of 0.020" thick birch veneer in the basement that I sawed with a chainsaw mill many years ago ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JustinW_NZ

I like doing a thin bit like that at shows and curl them into a circle, really impresses people.

pity they dry out fast and go brittle  :-\

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

redprospector

I used to make my business cards out of thin pieces, but I never tried to get one that thin.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

backwoods sawyer

I know I expecty my mill to do that any day of the week and it is 14 years old with over 9,000 hrs. If a saw gives a wave it comes off and the first cut with a fresh saw is a clean up cut as thin as I can get. 

Good to see the friendly compeditision, it shows that these mills are precision machines that are enjoyed by the young and old, non spring chickens, young at hart alike ::)

I don't recomend it for veneer unless you are using it as filler, thats where peeled is better then sawn. (grain orentation)
but toss it out in the hot sun and it will curle right up and make some fine art work ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

Well, the 20 thou Birch was an accident. And I cut it of the bottom of the cant ;D.

I had squared up the cant and was going to cut some 2x8" lumber out of it, when I realized I had the cant oriented the wrong way. So I had to reduce the thickness of the cant to 8" before turning it. Turns out I was sawing off .020" over one kerf width.

That was one of the nice things about the Alaskan mill. You used the top face as a guide for the bottom face so the thickness was uniform now matter how much the wood moved.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

bandmiller2

A good mill will do that be it circular or band. It requires everything to be right. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

redbeard

Carbide band saw blades with 3-TPI .045. can  slice thin like that even with knots.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Peter Drouin

My 55 7° WM blades can cut thinner than that  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!