iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade speed. I need a math whiz

Started by ozarkgem, August 15, 2014, 06:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I have not been happy with the speed my mill cuts. I have had 3 different motors on it. I have a 20 HP 3 phase electric on it now and it doesn't seen to make any difference on the size or species of the log ,I can only go so fast (slow). I got the tach out and measured the blade speed. The wheel on the tach is 6" in cir. So the blade is running about 4800 FPM. I am not sure if this is fast enough. I have adjusted the flatness of the blade and tried every other thing I have read about but nothing changes.  the motor is  1750 RPM. the motor pulley is 4 3/4" and the drive pulley is 8". So if I need to speed it up what size motor pulley do I need? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?  Running 1 1/4 X 7/8 pitch Cooks blades. I can usually saw one good sized Oak and the the blade is dull. I don't have a debarker but if the log is dirty I use the log wizard to make a path for the blade.I have watched a WM saw and I can saw at about half the speed it does.

Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ladylake

4800  fpm should be fine but if any thing I'd slow it down a little..  Are you running out of power or cutting crooked.  A 20hp electric should have plenty of power if it's putting out the full HP.  If using a phase converter I think some only put out 2/3 of the actual hp. Is your wiring heavy enough, too light the motor wont make full power. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ozarkgem

I am running a 20KW generator so power is not a problem. Not cutting crooked just slow. How much should I slow it down?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ladylake

I'd try a 4-1/4 pulley on the motor and see if that helps.  Is there a chance you belt or clutch is slipping, that's a lot of power to put through a single belt.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Ozark, Steve is right about the single belt for that power you should have at least two "B" series belts. Another possibility is your electric clutch is slipping. I have a 15 hp Baldor 1725 three phase on my mill and scads of power to run the mill and hydraulics. Have someone else make a cut with your mill you tach it before and during the cut the truth will surface. A 20 hp three should not slow down. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ozarkgem

Quote from: ladylake on August 15, 2014, 07:19:16 AM
I'd try a 4-1/4 pulley on the motor and see if that helps.  Is there a chance you belt or clutch is slipping, that's a lot of power to put through a single belt.  Steve
it has 2 belts. I don't think the clutch or belt slips as I can hear the motor pull down a little.

ladylake

Opps it looked like 1 belt but looking closer I can see 2.  I'd give the smaller drive pulley a try .   Steve

venice

4800 FPM sounds good to me on a manual mill. Did you try other blades yet? Could make a difference.

If you want to play around with different pulley sizes and see what the resulting speed is, i just send you a link to a calculation form. One thing to consider; if you are changing the pulley size, torque will be also affected to some degree.

Hope it helps. venice

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 15, 2014, 06:23:06 AM
The wheel on the tach is 6" in cir. So the blade is running about 4800 FPM.

Seems the reading would be the actual reading unless the book for the tack says other wise :P 

been a while but it seems like 3,500-4,500 is the ideal blade speed, to fast has as many issues as to slow.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

http://www.cookssaw.com/Articles/bandsawturn.php 

Here is good reading from Cooks and they know sawmills.    Steve

Joe Hillmann

What type of wheels is your blade running on?

ozarkgem

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on August 15, 2014, 10:58:46 AM
18" v groove with a v belt in them

ozarkgem

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on August 15, 2014, 10:50:50 AM
The wheel on the tach is 6" in cir. So the blade is running about 4800 FPM.

Seems the reading would be the actual reading unless the book for the tack says other wise :P 

been a while but it seems like 3,500-4,500 is the ideal blade speed, to fast has as many issues as to slow.
that is the actual RPM but the cir of the wheel is 6" so each rev is 1/2 foot. So half of that would be the actual FPM. (I think)

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 15, 2014, 01:10:51 PM

Then I can't make any suggestions.  I thought maybe it was a homemade mill that uses trailer tires to run the blade on.   There were several issues that I could think of that could happen using trailer tires.  But none of those would be an issue with v-grooves and belts.

Are you sure there is nothing your blade may be hitting/rubbing that may be taking out the set.  Could the blade be running too far back on the wheels causing the set to be taken out or are the teeth riding on the blade guides?

Have you tried more than one brand of blade?  Do they all have the same issue? 

dablack

I have not been happy with the speed my mill cuts. the motor is  1750 RPM. the motor pulley is 4 3/4" and the drive pulley is 8". So if I need to speed it up what size motor pulley do I need?

I don't know what the optimum FPM a blade should be moving but if you want it to move faster, you need a BIGGER motor pulley, not a smaller one.  Going to a bigger motor pulley will move the drive belt faster for the same motor RPM.  You will lose some torque but pick up speed.  Just wanted that to be clear.

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Delawhere Jack

I'd guess you've got some slippage as well. Your band speed is right in the proper range, and the power is adequate. I'm with Bandmiller, see if you can get a reading on the band while it's cutting.

Cutting too fast, and I think too slow also will dull bands prematurely.

ozarkgem

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on August 15, 2014, 01:22:23 PM
Quote from: ozarkgem on August 15, 2014, 01:10:51 PM

Then I can't make any suggestions.  I thought maybe it was a homemade mill that uses trailer tires to run the blade on.   There were several issues that I could think of that could happen using trailer tires.  But none of those would be an issue with v-grooves and belts.

Are you sure there is nothing your blade may be hitting/rubbing that may be taking out the set.  Could the blade be running too far back on the wheels causing the set to be taken out or are the teeth riding on the blade guides?

Have you tried more than one brand of blade?  Do they all have the same issue?
The blade runs where it is supposed to. Not taking out the set. I have just got some Cooks and they do last better. I talked to a Amish and asked him how many blades he used in a day and he sharpens 3 of a morning for the day. I will use 7-8 a day in Oak. To be fair he has a debarker and I don't but I am very careful  about not sawing dirt.

Delawhere Jack

Not counting metal strike bands, I'll go through 4-6 bands sawing oak in 8 hours. No debarker, clean to slightly dirty bark. Really dirty logs, out come the wire brushes. All hands on deck tasked with brushing the mud off.

BCsaw

I have to agree with Austin. If you are correct with the pulley size, you have an under drive situation. A torque increase and a speed decrease from what was input. If your motor is 1750 rpm you would only be seeing 1039 rpm out of a 4.75 to 8 " pulley arrangement. If the 8" was on the motor then you would have a speed increase and torque decrease. Your output rpm would higher than what was input.(an overdrive situation) Near 3000 rpm.

My 2 cents.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

pineywoods

Ozark, it sounds like something is slipping somewhere. I see the tach on the blade showing about 4800 fpm, and that's good, BUT that's with no load. Here's something you can try, cheap and quick. Get yourself a bicycle speedometer ($9.95 at walmart) and install it on the idle bandwheel. Just a small magnet glued to the bandwheel and a pickup coil mounted so the magnet passes close by. Watch the readout while you saw a log, any slippage will show up quickly.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

venice

Quote from: BCsaw on August 15, 2014, 09:49:57 PM
If the 8" was on the motor then you would have a speed increase and torque decrease. Your output rpm would higher than what was input.(an overdrive situation) Near 3000 rpm.

...and would give you the blade speed of an high speed industrial saw - aprox. 13.880 pfm.  :o

Must be like standing next to an helicopter.  :D

Have a good weekend everyone. venice

ozarkgem

Quote from: pineywoods on August 15, 2014, 10:00:32 PM
Ozark, it sounds like something is slipping somewhere. I see the tach on the blade showing about 4800 fpm, and that's good, BUT that's with no load. Here's something you can try, cheap and quick. Get yourself a bicycle speedometer ($9.95 at walmart) and install it on the idle bandwheel. Just a small magnet glued to the bandwheel and a pickup coil mounted so the magnet passes close by. Watch the readout while you saw a log, any slippage will show up quickly.
good idea

scor440

schmism

pure math says blade speed is 4894 sfpm   
8/4.75 = 1.6842 *1750 = 1039rpm *pi*18/12 = 4894sfpm

use a clamp on ammeter to measure current draw in each leg of your 3 phase power to determine if your motor is putting out full power.  You should be able to compare that to nameplate amp listing.  (although freewheel amps,  under load amps and locked rotor amps will all vary)   Im to tired at the moment to look up what nameplate amps are listed at.  (i dont think they are locked rotor amps but they might be)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

WoodenHead

Quote from: schmism on August 17, 2014, 02:42:09 AM
pure math says blade speed is 4894 sfpm   
8/4.75 = 1.6842 *1750 = 1039rpm *pi*18/12 = 4894sfpm

use a clamp on ammeter to measure current draw in each leg of your 3 phase power to determine if your motor is putting out full power.  You should be able to compare that to nameplate amp listing.  (although freewheel amps,  under load amps and locked rotor amps will all vary)   Im to tired at the moment to look up what nameplate amps are listed at.  (i dont think they are locked rotor amps but they might be)

I would rewrite the equation a bit  ;), but I agree with your answer 4894 fpm by calculation.  I thought I had read somewhere that 5200-5500 fpm was ideal, but I couldn't say if that is your problem.  On paper you have plenty of power and torque for the application.  If you want to test your motor output, you should measure each phase current under load and compare to the motor name plate values (FLA - Full Load Amps).  If there are considerable differences between phases that could mean problems.  Locked rotor btw is a different number (usually not shown on the nameplate) that is about 3-6 x FLA.

Thank You Sponsors!