iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best caulk for Eastern Red Cedar

Started by kelLOGg, August 06, 2012, 06:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I am siding a studio with ERC that has been dried and planed. What is the recommended caulk for sealing the ends to the corner boards? Most info I can get is for WRC. Use the same for ERC?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

And what are you getting for WRC ?

Paint?  Wax?  Poly?

And what type of finish trim is at the corner?

And what type of finsh will be applied to the siding?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

I'd recommend colored silicon, or latex plus silicon, to match the wood after the finish is applied.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

kelLOGg

This is a studio I am helping build for someone else. What I have read about preserving the red color of ERC is that you can slow the effect of UV light which fades it but you can't stop the fading. I don't think it will have any finish for the corner boards or the siding - it will just be allowed it to turn gray.

I've seen tan cedar caulk in the box stores but I am sure it is for WRC not ERC so I didn't pay attention to what its composition is.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

jbeat

Dap Alex plus is acrylic latex plus silicone and comes in cedar tan.
John B

DDobbs

try to find Tremco Vulkem 116. your going to pay a bit more $6-7 a tube but it will last! it is a great caulk. it is a ployurethane class caulk.

you can get it in about any color .  redwood tan works well as a color match of cedar

here is a link to the color chart
http://www.tremcosealants.com/fileshare/pds/Vulkem116_CC.pdf
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Al_Smith

The exterior trim plus the gable eaves on our new home addition is all WRC .Dap premium silicon caulk was used .The trim is all stained hunter green ,not natural finish but it holds the paint/stain very well and seems to be adhering very well .It comes in various colors as most do .

Thank You Sponsors!