iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expanding again

Started by Bibbyman, April 21, 2005, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

When is a LT 300 going to find a home under the new shed?

Larry

You got a right to be proud Bibby...I've seen some roofs where it was impossible to get the tin down without a big jag on each sheet near the end.

Looks nice to me. 8)

Couple of questions...what kind of wood did you use for the trusses?  What were the gussets made out of and what kind of fasteners?  Made some trusses while back and went dumpster diving for OSB and plywood to make the gussets.  Sorta like fishing...first time or two I came home skunked. ::)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ElectricAl

Bib,

You can never have enough shed space.  Nice job ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Larry on September 14, 2005, 07:01:09 PM

Couple of questions...what kind of wood did you use for the trusses?  What were the gussets made out of and what kind of fasteners?  Made some trusses while back and went dumpster diving for OSB and plywood to make the gussets.  Sorta like fishing...first time or two I came home skunked. ::)

The trusses are made out of white oak.  I would have liked to have made them out of sycamore but we had a 20' white oak log that made enough 2x6s for the bottom cords and 16' logs we sawed the 2x6s out for the top rafters and other parts.  The purlins are mostly ash and sycamore.  I would have used sycamore for purlins but only had one 10' log.  The truss are 5/12 pitch with 5' overhang.  We used 1" sycamore for gussets.  Sycamore won't split like other woods.  Mary nailed them with an air nailer using 8d nails.

The truss are 8' apart.  The purlins are full 4" wide by 1-5/8 thick standing on edge and nailed with 60d ring shank hardened nails.

There are two 16' spans on the back side and one on the front side.  We've not decided what we're going to do on the north end.

The posts are 6x6 ERC.

ElectricAl keeps adding on.  His place is starting to look like a compound.  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Part_Timer

doesn't everyone need a compound??

oops!!!! wrong forum ;D ;D ;)
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

ElectricAl

Ya Bib :D,

The log truckers call our place, "The land of many buildings" ;D

Linda and I are almost done with a 36x48 lean-to  to house three trailers, two trucks, small tractor, and a lawn mower.

We used a sawzall and cut the nails holding the gurts and walls. Removed the walls to be recycled as new/old walls. The original size was 16x48. Then we stripped off the old wood roof, reframed the rafters, added perlins, then tinned. Tin cost $1200 on sale before the big storm :o.

Here is a shot of the old/new north wall. Had to do a little patch work on the old wall when we raised the roof line.

So, now we have 3 major buildings, plus 1 big lean-to and 4 small storage units.

But keep this info to yourself, the property tax guy does not know about some ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Bibbyman

Quote from: redpowerd on September 15, 2005, 09:28:14 PM
wheres the goat barn???

Maybe that's where he parks his GTO... :D
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Wish I had a Goat Barn with a black "Goat" in it :-\

But no I got a Goat Barn with a tan goat in it :-[

Linda

We do too have a black goat.....but it says Baa Baa instead of VROOM VROOM! :D ;)
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

chet

Quote from: Linda on September 16, 2005, 10:51:45 PM

We do too have a black goat.....but it says Baa Baa instead of VROOM VROOM! :D ;)

What happened to his ears? ???
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Linda

Chet,

I had a feeling someone would bring that up! :-\  I didn't chop them off...really...and neither did ElectricAl! ;D

She is part LaMancha breed, which have little or no ears.  She does actually have small white ears (the size of cat ears).  The other two goats have an extra inch of length on their ears.

pigman

That black goat was lucky that his head was low when he walked into the WoodMizer blade. :o
Edit: Now that Linda has straightened that out I feel better.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Linda

Pigman,

I suppose you thought we had one of those "Ear-mizer" sawmills? ???

Don't let that get out, teenagers might line up at our door to get custom sawn ears.
smiley_roller

Bibbyman

Well,  Mary and I have taken the time to work some on our sawshed extension.  Today we got a lot of the boxing in done.  We're almost ready to build and install sliding doors.

Even though most of the sides will be door openings, there is still a lot of trimming and boxing to do.

We used some of our "orphan" lumber to box in the gable and sides. 

There will be two 16' doors in back,  two 10' doors on the gable end that will be on 30' of dubble track so we should be able to open up 14" foot anywhere in that 20' opening and two 8' doors on a double track to cover the 16' opening on the front side.

I wanted to make those doors out of lumber also but Mary thought they'd be too heavy so we'll make them out of painted tin.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

Bib,

How is your area for wind storms, didn't see much to hold the roof down?

Bibbyman

Quote from: D._Frederick on October 10, 2005, 01:52:13 PM
Bib,

How is your area for wind storms, didn't see much to hold the roof down?

The 6x6 posts are set 2' into concrete with four 8" spikes driven into the base section of each post about 6" from the bottom end.  The holes were about 2' in dia.  So there is a wash tub size chunk of concrete around each post.

It's framed pretty much like I did the older section and everyone has said it's over engineered.  I don't think I've taken a picture of how the truss are nailed into the top of the posts but they are - with plenty of 30d rat tail nails.

The perlins are nailed on with 60d hardened rat tail nails and then spiked togeather where they overlapped with 30d nails.

I don't know how much wind it would withstand but we had some storms about a month ago where the wind gusts were up to 50mph.  That was before I got the concrete around the posts and some cross bracing in.  Nothing moved under this test.

We got all the rest of the walls framed up today and a lot more of the boxing.  We've got about 150 square feet more of boxing to put on. 

We're about ready to start the sliding doors.  We plan to go get the track, hardware and tin tomorrow.

I found a picture that shows how we nailed the truss to the tops of the posts.  The headers are 2x10 oak inside and out. 
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

We've forged ahead on our shed extension and have more to show for our efforts. 

We worked on building the doors and getting them hung earlier in the week.  I wanted to cover the doors with ERC but Mary wanted painted tin.  You see who's the boss!  ;)

This morning was uncomfortable – cool, drizzle, and a 10-15 breeze.  Being able to black off the wind from the north west made it a lot more comfortable. 

We still have two 16' doors on the back side to build.  Then there is the old part...  It needs two 20' doors and a 12' door.  Always something. ::)
Sawing since '94

iain

Thank You Sponsors!