iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup

Started by Magicman, February 08, 2012, 06:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A fellow FF member from New York unsolicitedly mailed me a jug of Maple Syrup.  It came yesterday so today it was biscuits and syrup for supper.

I can testify that New York produces the best maple syrup than from any other state or province.   digin_2  It's gotta be true because no one else has ever sent me any.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rockman

I can testify that New York produces the best maple syrup than from any other state or province.  [/quote] 
Being from the Adirondacks, I have to agree with you Lynn. There is Nothing like the Real thing. He must be a good friend, that stuff is liquid gold.

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D Must be true, seems logical to me.

I've had some good stuff from Pat in Michigan. He boiled it down darker, which is more intense flavour. My grandfather did it this way to. :) I'm sure Jeff will give a testimonial on Pat's syrup. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Ill testify that Pat's maple syrup will always be the most precious syrup ever. I miss that guy. :'(
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

MM,

I am not sure about your claim.  I will have to try some myself to find out  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

??? ???    I will not know any different unless I have something to compare it with.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Shotgun

Quote from: Magicman on February 08, 2012, 09:23:42 PM
??? ???    I will not know any different unless I have something to compare it with.   :)
This is MM's second offer to try a sample from another location.  Any takers?   He's running out of bait.   ;D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Norm

Looks great!

My favorite is buttermilk pancakes smothered in warm butter and warm maple syrup.  :)

Magicman

Quote from: rockman on February 08, 2012, 06:46:37 PM
There is Nothing like the Real thing. He must be a good friend, that stuff is liquid gold.  Kevin

We have never met, but yes, I consider Chuck White to be a good friend.   :)

Burlkraft

Pat's syrup was the best. I miss the syrup and I miss Pat too!

We picked up some syrup in The West End of The UP last fall. Jill made pancakes last night so we tried it and this syrup is light colored, thin and tastes like smoke.

Did I mention I miss Pat?
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Chris Burchfield

I like maple syrup on my buttered cakes or waffles.  I prefer blue ribbon cane syrup on my hot, buttered, scratch made, cathead buttermilk biscuits.  I'll eat sorghum syrup when I have nothing else.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

Blackburn Made, cane syrup has always been my mainstay because that is what Daddy used.  I have eaten Maple syrup, but this is the first "homemade" that I have ever had.   :)

Chuck White

Lynn it was as though I was compelled to send you something that was specifically a product of New York.  digin1

Glad your family likes it!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SPIKER

My last batch was 2010 not making any this year either as the temps are kind of poor for a good run.   I do mine over open wood fire and did have a bad batch due to using some popple wood in the fire that left it skunky.   I learned my lesson there I use only Maple, Apple or Oak/Hickory & some elm for boiling it down.   I like the hint of cherry or apple wood in it for smoke but usually only make a part batch with the smoke around the syrup.   then I tighten up for higher volume boils so there are no smoky flavorings.   I hoping I have enough to last me through the rest of the year...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sandhills

The maple sugar process is something I'm completely unfamiliar with, other than what I've read about on the forum.  For those of you that do this to sell your product, a few questions, what size containers are average, and what is the cost?  It looks like it would be very labor intensive and at the same time very rewarding work.  Magicman, it sure is nice having friends in high places eh?  :)

Magicman

Upstate is high....right  ???

SPIKER

some forsale on local CL 7bucks a pint 48/gallon, and spread of prices in between for first run.   I gave a bunch away to friends family neighbors ect for a while was trading for honey and swapping syrup with a different person for different flavors.   processing can make a big difference to taste..

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Bill Gaiche

MM, have you tried it on grits? You never know what its like if you dont. bg

sandhills

Sorry about that, after re-reading my post, that sounded horrible.  Yes MM I meant your friend was to the to the north (higher places), and no I'm absolutely NOT a doper.  Once again sorry for the bad wording.

thecfarm

Maple Syrup made in the North by Yankees will make all grits taste bad to someone from the South.   ;D  Why waste good maple syrup made by a Yankee?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

sandhills, I thought that your wording was perfect and I completely understood it's meaning and I liked it.  I just bumped it "Up" a bit.  "Up" to Upstate to show my gratitude to Chuck White.    smiley_thumbsup

Now to 'xplain about grits and syrup.  Only butter goes on grits or maybe sometimes a couple of fried eggs right in the middle of a pile of grits.  That is it.  Ya don't mix two good things like syrup and grits.

Now syrup, that goes on waffles, pancakes (hotcakes), and in the plate to be sopped up with good buttered biscuits.   Matter of fact, my Dad called molasses and syrup "sops".   musteat_1

thecfarm

WOW!! That's a relief. I was thinking that Yankee made Maple Syrup was being wasted. That will make Coon feel better too.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dodgy Loner

Magicman, I will need to come to your house to test your hypothesis that NY maple syrup is the best, so's I can report back with an unbiased opinion to the rest of the FF. Come to think of it, we will need maple syrups from various Canadian provinces and northerly US states if we are to reach and firm conclusions. Any other forum members from the sugar maple states willing to help out? Tell the Magicwoman that we will need plenty of biscuits ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Raider Bill

It's the best!!!

My gallon runneth dry need more!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

INFO:

It's a process of evaporation.

It takes about 40 gallons of sap to boil down to make 1 gallon of syrup.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!