iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Dimensional lumber / Green Lumber building forum?

Started by grweldon, August 28, 2012, 10:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I love to read the info contained in the Timber Framed / Post & Beam construction forum and I'd love to build something of that type of construction, but at the moment, it would be more practical for me to use dimensional lumber from my mill.

Is there a forum that I should read that covers this type of construction here at the Forestry Forum?  If not, might that be something that would be useful or of interest to anybody other than myself?  Just a thought... or maybe I'm missing it in the wealth of information presented here...

I love reading the posts on this forum and I truly appreciate the effort of all those involved in maintaining it, with special preference to those who live in or are from my home state of Michigan!

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

beenthere

gr
You could start a thread in the General forum, and see what interest develops there.
From what I've seen/read over a few years, there isn't a lot of interest in dimension lumber production and its use. But that may just be a result of nobody starting such a thread.
Are you looking for ideas on how to build, or production techniques?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

grweldon

Well, I guess I'm just looking for tips and tricks.  I designed and built my home on my property... I guess you would call it a pole house.

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED. PLEASE UPLOAD PHOTO TO THE FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY

It is very small, 24 x 24 on the first floor, 18 x 24 on the second with a stairwell / utility room that is 8 x 18.  It is still unfinished and I'm in the process of milling and drying lumber for the siding, flooring and wainscotting, but before I install any of that, I need to build and addition... probably 16 or 18 x 20 or 24.  Then I can move all the woodworking equipment and PA equipment that I have stored in the upstairs and downstairs bedrooms so I can finish them!

I just don't see any reason not to build with green lumber from my mill and I've done a bit of research and got a few tips and do's and don'ts, but I'm not quite sure that I have all the information I need to commence building.  Wanted all those with experience to chime in and see if they can provide more good information.  I'll post this reply to the general forum and see what that digs up but I don't read all of the fourm sections and I would imagine there are others who select only certain topics to read.  Thanks for your suggestions...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

Here is a dimensional project that I started in December, 2010, in the General Woodworking board:  LINK

Unfortunately, it still has not been completed.  I have good intentions,  but "life" seems to get in the way.  I do now have a deadline  because it will be completed before the next "Chickin Crispin".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on August 28, 2012, 02:36:32 PM
Here is a dimensional project that I started in December, 2010, in the General Woodworking board:  LINK

Unfortunately, it still has not been completed.  I have good intentions,  but "life" seems to get in the way.  I do now have a deadline  because it will be completed before the next "Chickin Crispin".   ;D

Hey MM, what's that deadline looking like? Chicken crispens are a good thing...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

I sorta loaded my wagon at the Pig Roast, so I have a plan.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Howdy Lynn,

I viewed that thread you posted a long time ago... well, in May when I first joined the forum!  I don't know how you find time to do all you do... Wait..

Yes I do... you don't have to work for other people anymore everyday, giving your time and talent to them for a meager salary...do you?!

Even so, it sure seems like you get a bunch done in the available time that you have.  How many hours of sleep do you normally get?

Glen

Magicman

Since I am officially an ole man, I try for 7 hours. 

grweldon

Hmmm.... I shoot for at least 7 hours every day...  I usually get less...

And I don't know how old is "officially" old, but I still feel young... at least until I get out of bed!

Magicman

I never said or admitted to being old, but I am officially an ole man.

mad murdock

I don't know about any rule for building with green lumber.  I have done a bit of it on our house and barn.  I have used Douglas Fir in both standard stick frame construction, and what I would call modified or hybrid post n beam/stick frame.  I have not had any problems due to shrinkage or any other issues, i.e. no cracking of sheetrock, or doors that have to be shaved after the fact.  I have even done a 3 wall addition to our daylight basement using alaskan style (slabbed 2 sides, S2S?) log construction.  The only issue with the green logs, has been we have had to rechink on the inside walls, we haven't chinked the outside as we wanted to wait for the logs to settle and dry well to do that, don't want to have to rechink the outside right away.  The addition is pretty good, no major drafts, and it looks good.  I will see if I can post some pics of it.  We finished the logs inside and out with a thinned mixture of boiled linseed oil and water soluble paint thinner.  Was easy to apply, and looks good, way cheaper to do than special log finishes.  On the barn I milled WRC BnB (green), put them up, and there has been no splitting issues with those boards either. FWIW.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D