iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vogelzang wood stove

Started by ashes, September 20, 2015, 03:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashes

Hi all, I just purchased my first home and will want to  install a wood stove. The house is roughly 900sqft and a fairly open floor plan. I live in the pacific northwest so we don't get freezing temps, but it can get a little chilly at times. The first stoves I priced were Lopi and Vermont castings, but both were more than a thousand dollars before buying pipe and installation. I was at Tractor supply this morning and noticed a Vogelzang Defender wood stove that was a much better price for a poor forester.

Does anyone have experience with this company? Or is it the usual deal where you get what you pay for...

Thanks in advance

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ashes

The company is out of Holland MI, but I couldn't find on their web page where the stove was manufactured.

Corley5

The Boxwood and their other cast iron models are made in China.  The ones I've seen at TSC are.  I don't know about their other models.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ashes

Ya, I figured that when they weren't advertising Made in the US on their site. That is typically a point of pride where I come from.

Ivan49

I used to live not far from where they are at in Holland Mi and unless they have changed most of what they sell is made in China. Some of the stuff is poorly made

sandsawmill14

my uncle bought 1 of those stoves a few years back and the only problem he had was it was not sealed tight enough to keep smoke from getting in the house when you closed the damper off other than that it was ok. BUT that is a big deal in a house (at leased to me) he sold it after a few years to someone to use in there shop
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

ashes

So, I guess the question is, what stove would you folks recommend for a 900sqft house that is good quality, hopefully made in America, and not more than 1000$.

Oh, and I guess it would need to be CA compliant so I can actually get it.
At this point I will probably go with the Vermont Castings one because it is the right size, and I like older style look. I think the model is the "Aspen"

USSC also did not claim to be made in the US, which I thought was ironic.

petefrom bearswamp

If you really want to cheap out, I have a Vogelzang barrel kit on a 55 gal drum in my 32x64 shop which heats it OK, but doesnt hold a fire overnight.
I have choked it right down with the pipe damper with no smolink issues.
It cost at the time 15 yrs ago about 50 bucks.
I lined the lower portion with fire brick laid in dry.Probably isnt Cal compliant tho.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

John Mc

The Vermont Castings Aspen is a nice little stove. There aren't many this small that will still take a 16" long piece of wood (which is fairly standard for firewood producers around here, and less work if you are cutting your own, as compared to cutting 12" or 14" wood).

Vermont Castings has a good reputation around here (we're probably a little biased here in VT, but they are very well made stoves).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DMcCoy

I have had a few wood stoves over the years and the one I have now is the only one I would buy again if I needed to replace it.  Hearthstone - soap stone with a glass door.  Has secondary air tubes for more complete combustion.  Keeps the house warmer with less wood.  Doesn't get super(red) hot no matter how high I have run it.  Not sure if there are models in your price range but I would really take a look at these.  I cannot say enough good things about it, other than I would buy it again in a heart beat.

John Mc

I have a Hearthstone Phoenix, and love it.  I love the soapstone. As DMcCoy noted, it really helps even out the heat radiation. No super hot spots when on high fire, and keeps radiating heat long after the fire is out.

Unfotunately, I don;t know if they make one small enough for Ashes.  I think the smallest one they make is almost double the BTU output of the VT Castings Aspen
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Quote from: ashes on September 21, 2015, 01:10:29 AM
So, I guess the question is, what stove would you folks recommend for a 900sqft house that is good quality, hopefully made in America, and not more than 1000$.

Oh, and I guess it would need to be CA compliant so I can actually get it.
At this point I will probably go with the Vermont Castings one because it is the right size, and I like older style look. I think the model is the "Aspen"

USSC also did not claim to be made in the US, which I thought was ironic.

ashes
Can you get a list of compliant stoves for CA ?  Or do you know what the specs are that result in being compliant?
Those specs seem most important to your question, and I would assume being certified by EPA or a third-party testing would be necessary (and likely add to the price of whatever is available).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ashes

Been There,
I think the only requirement is that it is EPA compliant. There are stoves that are not or are grandfathered in, but those are not stoves you can buy here or have shipped here. I know that WA has somewhat stricter regulations for wood stoves, but I am not positive what the difference is.

I think that I am just going to pick up a Vermont Castings Aspen stove because I like the look, It's the right size, and it gets good reviews as far as I have read online.

Now to start rounding up the madrone!

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

concretecutter

I have the vogelzang Durango wood stove bought it $400 bucks from Menards special order heats my 1000sq home with ease living in northern WI even last 14 hours on a burn time when filled UL listed very happy with it yes it's made over seas but for the price you can't go wrong only down fall I have with it wish it had a bigger glass front

Thank You Sponsors!