iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venting a WM bms250

Started by PAmizerman, December 02, 2018, 10:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAmizerman

I am in the process of getting my sharpening equipment set up and was wondering about venting the sharpener.

Can I just run a flex hose out the wall or do I need to incorporate a fan into the exhaust line?

What have others used?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Southside

So I had come up with an idea using a foolish number of PVC elbows, a fan vent, a catch, drain, etc then I came across the video below and decided to copy his set up and give it a try.  I did add on a brush to the band inlet and outlet as well.  Before this at night with a back light you could see oil mist coming from all around the machine with the chimney taped over, now there is nothing.  Simple and works very well.  Also - don't try to use your 120V setter on a GFCI protected outlet - you will pull out your hair trying to figure out why it won't work, but the two are not compatible as the setter has a built  in variable frequency drive.  

Power vent
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

If that Fan/filter combo works, let us know as I quit with that poisonous oil and switched to hydraulic oil. No mist to speak of with it. Just takes forever to start pumping when its cold.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

terrifictimbersllc

Please post the Amazon links to that fan and filter if anyone finds them.  That looks like a good setup. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tawilson

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 03, 2018, 04:37:04 AM
Please post the Amazon links to that fan and filter if anyone finds them.  That looks like a good setup.
The links are on his comments below the video. Got them in my cart already.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

PAmizerman

Thanks Southside. And thanks for the tip on the GFCI. I would have been going crazy here in a couple days cause I have all the power to my shed on a GFCI
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Southside

Quote from: PAmizerman on December 03, 2018, 07:44:39 PMI would have been going crazy here in a couple days cause I have all the power to my shed on a GFCI

Yup - I had the same set up, now I have one non- GFCI outlet that is dedicated to the setter and is on its own breaker.  On a good note if you ever need to know anything about the wiring or other internal operation of this machine I am a simple phone call away....
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

I just ordered the vent stuff too.  Sort of wondering how it will hold up or whether it will be saturated quickly with oil. Will find out.  Any improvement is good. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

highleadtimber16

Percy, how long have you been running hydraulic oil? I considered switching to it after paying for 3 pails of WM oil.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

PAmizerman

I just ordered the fan. I'm not going into a filter though. I'm just gonna vent out the wall and see how it works. I got mineral oil from cuttingedge. And a cbn wheel. 
I'm getting closer to being up and running. Getting excited!!
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

tawilson

I'd put a little pitch in the vent pipe back to the sharpener. Might as well recover as much oil as possible.
You will like it. I just sawed some maple beams with a blade I've run through the sharpener/setter a couple times. I was ready to switch to a factory blade for a smoother cut and didn't need to. It couldn't have been any better.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

YellowHammer

I'm interested also... 
So mineral oil or hydraulic fluid works?  How do they affect wheel life?  I much dislike the WM fluid.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

JamieK

I currently use the WM fluid and would love to switch to something less smelly
Wood-Mizer LT70 full line, BMS250, BMT100, Moffet M5,Nyle L200M, Lucas mill model 7 with slabbing attachment and planer attachment

PAmizerman

Richard told me that he uses mineral oil and many others. I'll give it a try and see how it works. 

I plan to run the vent hose high on the wall and down on an angle back to the sharpener to hopefully recapture any oil that makes it out.
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Percy

Quote from: highleadtimber16 on December 04, 2018, 06:59:10 PM
Percy, how long have you been running hydraulic oil? I considered switching to it after paying for 3 pails of WM oil.

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 04, 2018, 11:03:08 PM
I'm interested also...
So mineral oil or hydraulic fluid works?  How do they affect wheel life?  I much dislike the WM fluid.
I been using hydraulic oil for a long time. The mill shack is clean and has no smell. I haven't noticed any problem with the cbn wheels. The problem with it is if you are in a colder climate, it takes a while to start pumping and if you don't  keep at it all day, the oil will thicken and the process starts again. I've since installed a wood stove in my mill shack so that alleviates the condition. I'm interested in how well this filter works 

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

gmmills

Those of you that are looking for an alternative to the smelly WM oil, convert to mineral oil. The WM oil is nothing more than a industrial base light cutting oil. I have been using mineral oil for over 3 years now. Prior to changing to mineral oil I used the WM oil for many years. Will not even consider going back to the WM oil.  Do not be concerned with overall wheel life using mineral oil. Not a factor when using a quality CBN wheel. There are no strong noxious fumes directly related to the oil. After all, mineral oil basically equates to using a large  amount of baby oil in your grinder lube tray.  

PAmizerman, I also purchase my mineral oil and CBN wheels from Cutting Edge. You will be happy with the performance of both these Kasco branded products.      
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

PA_Walnut

Great thread!! I am wandering through the weeds with my WM sharpener and setter.

That vent/filter thing is a nice idea. Check out his other videos on YouTube...dude is a mad scientist and had more toys than Santa's workshop! Anyone know if he's a member here?

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tawilson

Just a fyi, my clamp came adjusted too tight from the factory. It caused the roll pin on the motor that advances the blade to work its way out after a couple blades. I backed it off to what seemed reasonable and has been fine.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

terrifictimbersllc

I set up the fan/filter setup as mentioned in the above posts.   After using it for a half dozen hours of sharpening I am not sure whether it works or not. 

Two conflicting observations.  

With the filter off, I held a white piece of printer paper over the fan output opening while the sharpener was running for a minute or two.  I could not detect any discoloration of the paper which would indicate that oil is escaping in the fan exhaust.   This seemed to be a very positive test. 

However, in the dark, with the sharpener running and the filter in place,  when I held a flashlight at the right angle on the outside of the filter, I could easily see a cloud of what looked like escaping oil mist leaving the filter. 

So I am not sure that this really works as opposed to looking like it does.  It is hard to understand how effective this fan is at extracting oil mist.   I think it would be better to duct it to the outside or use the sharpener in a breezy open area. 

Southside

My observations were also at night with a back light and I could see a greatly reduced amount of mist with the filter on, still some, but a lot less.  The other day I picked up some of the blue forced air furnace filter media and am going to make a second in line filter and see if that makes a difference.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

I got mine hooked up and vented it outside. I haven't ran any tests yet. I'll have to get some pics
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

PAmizerman

Here's how I set mine up. The fan seems like it should help. I still need to put a brush on the infeed side. I'm going to add some form of scrapers on the outfeed side. 

the hose needs to be taken off to load and unload. 
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Thank You Sponsors!