iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic question

Started by Wallys World, March 29, 2009, 10:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallys World

I keep planning the rebuild of my wood splitter that I built 32 years ago. It still uns fine and does what it needs to but I would like more speed out of it. I was thinking about going with a 13 GPM  two stage pump. I started thinking (sometimes that can be dangerous) about how I could use a portable hydraulic power pac to use on other thing. I would someday like to put a loader on my trailer. I thought of making the engine, pump and tank on a portable base and leaving the valve body on the splitter hooking it up with quick disconnects. My question is about the pump, would a two stage work on a loader for example?
Thanks!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

pineywoods

Would a 2 stage pump work on a loader??

I don't see any reason why not, fast action when not lifting a load, slower and powerful under load. I'm about to find out. Just bought a 2 stage pump to put on the hydraulics on my bandmill. 12 gpm with no load, dropping to 3 gpm at 3000 psi. The idea of a portable powerpac makes sense.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chico

Just like Piney said shouldn't be a prob I would get a safety pressure valve that will bypass at X lbs (wherever you want it) to protect yourself and your machine jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

ksu_chainsaw

Shouldn't be a problem, but that powerpack will be rather large with a 13 GPM pump.  The rough idea is to have a reservoir roughly the same size as the rating on the pump- this keeps the oil cooler, and allows for some leakage during the day.  On the splitter I built about 7 years ago, I put a lift cylinder on it, hooked up with quick connects.  The hoses are extra long, so I can run them over to something else, and use the entire splitter as the powerpack.  My little brother used it a lot to jack bins, as the 16 GPM pump worked faster than the 5 GPM powerpack that came with the set.  Make sure that you put a pressure relief valve in the loop, preferrably one where you can adjust the pressure that it releases at to account for different setups.  A valve on the powerpack will also be helpful, as not everything that you want to hook up to- i.e. dump trailer- will have a valve on it.

just my 2 cents

Charles

Wallys World

I thought about the weight of the power pack. I can use my loader to move it when I have to. I did know about the GPM of the pump should equal the volume of reserve oil in the tank. That is why some of these home owner versions sometimes don't have long life in them.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!