iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic Cyld Question

Started by homesteader1972, February 29, 2016, 01:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteader1972

Hello All,
My hyd cyld that works my backstops started leaking the other day. Its the older tie rod type. The WM parts manual says its a 2X6. WM does not sell the seal kit for the tie rod cyd anymore and offers a replacement cyd. So, the hyd shop wants $125 to repack the old one, WM wants 120 for a new one. My questions are where might I get a rebuild kit for the one I have. Secondly, I see that Surplus Center has some 2x6 for less than $60, how would I know if it would be a direct replacement? Any help and insight is appreciated.
Thanks much!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

york

I would get new from WM,but that is just me...
Albert

Kbeitz

Most of the time that the seals start leaking is because the bushing type bearing that suports the rod is worn.
So new seals wont last long unless you change both.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sandsawmill14

put us up a pic of the cylinder :)  does the end screw on or is it held together with 4 bolts ???  we tear them down and replace seals with o-rings they last alot longer than the packings' do :) i have done this on the prince,cross and parker brands that i can remember. it takes about 30 minutes and cost less than 5 bucks. it works just as well as on air cylinders as on hydraulic ;)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

homesteader1972

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on February 29, 2016, 06:37:32 PM
put us up a pic of the cylinder :)  does the end screw on or is it held together with 4 bolts ???  we tear them down and replace seals with o-rings they last alot longer than the packings' do :) i have done this on the prince,cross and parker brands that i can remember. it takes about 30 minutes and cost less than 5 bucks. it works just as well as on air cylinders as on hydraulic ;)

Maybe a link to one just like it would be easier than a pic. It looks identical to this.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Cylinders/Double-Acting-Hydraulic-Cylinders/2X6X1-125-DA-HYD-CYL-W200060-S-9-8534-6.axd

At that price, I am thinking of buying a new one, unless rebuilding this one is real easy. What do you think?

Thanks much
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

redprospector

It's not the end of the world to repack a cylinder, but if you decide to buy a new one from Surplus Center copy the description from the website, and take it to your mill. If all the measurements match the cylinder on your mill, it should be a direct replacement.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

you can rebuild that one in 30 min or less(at least i can) and it will cost next to nothing for the o-rings so you really dont have anything to lose by trying it  :) but i did buy 2 of those cyl (i think that exact one) from surplus center for spares for the s&w mill (it has 4 that size) just in case i bend the shaft or strip the threads out of the end. have done both but at seperate times. 30"+ oak logs can be hard on equipment ;D i was well pleased with the surplus center parts i have bought :) i try to keep a spare cylinder of everything on the mill the only ones i dont have are for the log loader on the timberking :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

homesteader1972

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 01, 2016, 01:24:22 PM
you can rebuild that one in 30 min or less(at least i can) and it will cost next to nothing for the o-rings so you really dont have anything to lose by trying it  :) but i did buy 2 of those cyl (i think that exact one) from surplus center for spares for the s&w mill (it has 4 that size) just in case i bend the shaft or strip the threads out of the end. have done both but at seperate times. 30"+ oak logs can be hard on equipment ;D i was well pleased with the surplus center parts i have bought :) i try to keep a spare cylinder of everything on the mill the only ones i dont have are for the log loader on the timberking :-\

Thanks for the info, I think it would be easy enough to rebuild it, but went ahead and ordered a new just to insure I can get it up and running ASAP. I figure I will rebuild the old one, for practice, and to have a spare. Then I will be more confident next time one leaks and will be able to repair it in short order.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

homesteader1972

Quote from: redprospector on March 01, 2016, 12:01:14 PM
It's not the end of the world to repack a cylinder, but if you decide to buy a new one from Surplus Center copy the description from the website, and take it to your mill. If all the measurements match the cylinder on your mill, it should be a direct replacement.

Thanks for the council. I did just what you said and it all measured up perfectly. As soon as it arrives all I will need to do is screw on the sequence valves and install it.

Thanks much!
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

Thank You Sponsors!