iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American sawmill

Started by mologger93, February 07, 2019, 08:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mologger93

Hello this is my first time posting. I acquired an American sea bee sawmill in pieces. I'm familiar with old mills and am going to restore it. But it is unique compared to others I've seen and would like to know some history.  If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you.

moodnacreek

Less than an hour from the NJ line, this area was once American sawmill machinery territory . A lot of no. 1 both friction and belt feed. Almost bought a no.3 roller bearing one time. An old timer that helped me learn to saw had a no. 1 with a log beam conversion. ran it with a reo gold comet.  I have some nice literature including a catalog that shows everything they sold but a government order could be different. What size is it?

red

They were made in Hacketstown NJ
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

mologger93

The mill that I have is a two head block with roller bearings on the trucks Babbitt bearings on the mandrel. Very heavy built. I don't know what size it is. Thanks for responding. I'm slow to get back still trying to figure out this internet thing.

mologger93

It is a belt feed. It has American sea bee cast into the knees. Would it be a military mill?

moodnacreek

To find any record of a special order would be rare. Sounds like an uncataloged item. American listed about 7 different sizes of sawmills.

mologger93

Thanks for the info. I wish I could confirm it to be military. That would be cool.

Novice46

Hello, if at all possible, please post a picture of the seabee cast into your mill.

I was a U.S. Navy Seabee myself and am interested in buying an American Sawmill no.1 just down the road from me.

luap

This is not directly related to your sea bee mill but in the seventies my brother served in an army reserve unit that operated a portable circle mill set up on a low boy trailer with semi truck and diesel power unit. 

Novice46

Will someone please chime in and tell me an approximate price, for an American sawmill no.1 that is complete but unused for about 5 years. It has a 371 detroit diesel for power. I will have to disassemble it and move it .

luap

You might look at the sawmill xchange and the for sale column of this forum for comparison values but their are many variables. Realistically you are competing with the cost. of manual band saw values. Most people go that route instead of the challenges of setting up a circle mill especially for hobby production. So circle mills don't have the demand that a band mill has. 

Novice46

Thanks for the advice. It is frustrating that I can find info about them, but no one seems to be selling one or has recently bought one for comparison. Lanes are plentiful but not American # 1

moodnacreek

It has been a long time since old American sawmills have been in demand.  With any real old machinery, condition is everything and on a sawmill the mandrel is everything and an expensive specially to rebuild. So if the mill is not under cover, oiled and ready to saw it is worth little by itself. Most novices wanting to saw logs are not interested in setting up a circle sawmill and learning to run it no matter how cheap it is. Too bad for them but this is the way it is. Also at this time scrap is way down.

Novice46

Mologger93, I just realized , I need to apologize for starting to hijack your thread.
I apologize.

Thank You Sponsors!