iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Access road gates

Started by Ken, June 09, 2015, 07:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I need to put have some gates manufactured for some properties that I look after.  In the past I've had them built out of tubing, piping as well as posts with chains or cables strung between them.  I would like to hear suggestions as to what has worked well for others. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

celliott

I've seen a few home built gates that had grease zerk fittings, a nice feature. Also some type of feature to cover the lock.
I think cementing the posts in well is a good idea, but it all depends on where the gate is I guess. If it's  gate beyond a main road that is also gated, do you need the whole nine yards, or will a cable\chain work?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Texas Ranger

If you use cable slide a 4 inch pvc pipe over the cable as a visual to knot heads that will ride into it and sue when they get hurt trying to trespass
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Holmes

I bought a couple from TS .I did not think I could build a metal gate for less than $150
Think like a farmer.

thenorthman

the DNR gates out here are pretty slick, mostly made of 4-5" tube, sometimes with a counter weight on one end, usually with a box contraption on the lock end with various lockable levers so that each one can have a separate lock, if any one lock is removed the gate is open, locks are hid up inside a box so they are kinda hard to get too...

The gate at my folk's place... that is hardly ever used, is simply a pair of posts, one taller then the other, with 2 D rings welded to it, the lower D ring having the gate itself attached and the upper D ring having a cable that runs out to the far side of the gate to keep it level, the "hinge" is just some old heavy U bolts welded to the frame of the gate, I think that another hinge on the bottom of the gate is used too... its been a few years since I've really looked at it.  The gate is made out of 1.5" angle iron like 3/16-1/4" wall the posts are scrap rail road rails just set really really deep... I hear old gas pipe is cheap and plentiful in other area's
well that didn't work

Ron Scott

The use of a single strand cable or chain has been banned for closing roads on National Forest system lands for some time due to the liability issues as mentioned above by Texas Ranger. We have had some significant lawsuits in the past due to personal injuries when a trespassing ORV, snowmobile, or motorcycle rider has been seriously injured or decapitated by colliding with a cable road closure in the past.

The State of Michigan also discourages their use and is in the process of initiating a law to ban their use for road closures on State lands and private lands as well.

The metal slate type farm gates available from Tractor Supply etc. are now often used or where more undestructible gates are needed in high trespass areas, they are build from 4 inch well casing pipe with the posts cement filled as also previously mentioned. The locks are also set up inside the pipe for armor against bolt cutters and bullets.
~Ron

Wudman

I have used various types of gates in the past.  With the cost of steel these days, some would be rather expensive.  For the most part, a lock is for an honest man.  It will let folks know that you don't want them in there, and most will respect it.  I have had a couple of problem tracts, and nothing I did kept people out.  I had one tract that I gated with 4" boiler pipe set 5 feet in the ground in concrete.  It had six such post and a 16 foot gate out of the same material.  When I installed it......I thought to myself.....let me see you get through that.  I went back there a couple of months later and the whole thing was laying in the edge of the woods.  I have no idea what they pulled it up with. 

The majority of our gates are 12 inch boiler pipe posts with a single 2" pipe crossbar that slides through the post.  The lock is protected inside the upright so that bolt cutters can't get to it, but a 3/8 shackle hardened Master lock can't be cut with a set of standard bolt cutters anyway.  It can present a challenge when somebody crazy glues your lock. 

Now a days, I carry a 4 inch cordless angle grinder with me.  It will get you in anywhere.  A thief could do the same.  With that in mind, I have gone to hanging mostly 6 bar agricultural gates.  They are relatively cheap and keep out the folks that would stay out anyway.  Video surveillance is pretty cheap for the problem areas.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

tantoy

Building out of square or rectangle is much easier than round. Here are a few pictures of gate i have built.

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

GRANITEstateMP

Nice looking gate Tantoy!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ford_man

Put up a sign with big lettering reading; ENTERING THIS PROPERTY WITHOUT PROPER PROTECTIVE CLOTHING CAN CAUSE SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEMS OR EVEN DEATH.  then when the police come to see what you are hiding there you tell them if they go in there with no clothes on they can get baddly sunburned, cause skin cancer and die. :rifle: :rifle: :rifle:

beenthere

They prolly won't go in with no clothes on.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ken

I picked up some material last Friday and my welder was working on the gates today.  Going to use 6" tubing for posts set in the ground below frost level and about 5' above ground level.  The posts will be put in buckets filled with concrete.  The frame of the gate will be 2" x 2" tubing fastened to and hinging off the posts.  The gates will open in the middle and be 24' in total length.   Will post some pics when they get installed.  Thanks for your input

Larry

Ever hear of Dogpatch USA?  At one time it was an amusement park featuring Lil Abner and a bunch of other characters.  It was a going concern but fell on tough times and closed.

While closed an ATV rider hit a throat high cable strung between two trees to keep people out.  He won  the ensuing lawsuit with a judgment of $650,000.  In lieu of cash he was awarded Dogpatch USA.

Lawsuit settlement puts Dogpatch USA in new hands

I want to build a gate across our drive.  A big fancy iron gate.  Been gathering junk for the last 5 years in preparation.  Every time I see a gate while out driving I take pictures.  One time I was accosted by the property owner who wanted to know who gave me permission to take pictures of his gate.  After a lot of flattery we parted on peaceful terms. :embarassed:
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Onthesauk

At least 10 years ago I read an article in a NW logging magazine about logging road gates.  Interviews with DNR, logging companies and a lot of the folks who "use" those roads.  At that time it was virtually impossible to keep a gate secure.  Design was pretty much just for the casual folks from wandering through.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ken

Got 3 gates installed this week.  Should work pretty well.   Just have to weld some caps on the pipes to keep water out. I will also get some sort of a locking mechanism fabricated but will just use a chain and padlock for now.   I should have gotten these in earlier as some local yahoos were tearing around in their mud jeeps on a new road I have been working on.  One guy called me early last Sunday morning wanting to use my bulldozer that was on site to pull out his truck.   >:(

Jamie_C

At least you should be able to track him down and give him the bill for damages to the road. It's the only way some of them seem to learn.

submarinesailor

I would paint them a bright color to help control your liability.  If someone runs into them in the dark, no telling what the #$%^& courts will do.  Mine were painted a dark green and I found chrome on one the week end after we put them up. :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) :D :D

lopet

Looks built solid.     X2 on the high visible paint or some reflectors.

Happy B day    Ken  btw 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

John Mc

Quote from: Ken on June 28, 2015, 06:58:44 AM
... some local yahoos were tearing around in their mud jeeps on a new road I have been working on.  One guy called me early last Sunday morning wanting to use my bulldozer that was on site to pull out his truck.

It would be a shame if your bulldozer accidentally totaled the truck that got stuck tearing up your new road...
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ken

I do intend on putting some reflective tape on the gates to help with their visibility.   I should have mentioned that the guy on the jeep got stuck on a part of the road that I did not have finished yet so I was not too mad but he did get the message that I did not appreciate his trespassing. 

Ed_K

Ken, hope you had a good day  8) .
Ed K

barbender

Nice gates, guys. X2 on the cable closure method, that is just a bad idea.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!