iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What blade degree do you use for hickory?

Started by Mark Webb, February 24, 2011, 06:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Webb

I have some 20" to 26" diameter hickory to saw on Saturday, it will have been down 4 to 5 days. I am going to resharpen some of my blades, what degree would you recomend?
The Lord made enough time in each day to do what we need to do "graciously".

Bibbyman

I'd go with less hook angle rather than more and a little more set.  We like our 7° Double Hard blades.  Thicker and wider blades will work better too.   

I'd plan on using plenty of soap in the water mix.  The big fight is to keep the sap buildup off. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

terrifictimbersllc

Agree, keep the blade clean of sap buildup and 9's or 10's will do it if you don't have 7's.   For wider and if it's frozen 9's will be fine if no sap buildup even with the standard lower set (19-21 thousandths).
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

Don't think the logs will be frozen in FL. I cut my hardwood with just strait water as a lube and on hickory I just turn the lube on full force. This is on pignut hickory. I have less trouble with shag bark.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

BBTom

I suppose the 7 degree blades work great on fresh cut logs.  My problem is customers that wait several years to bring me the logs, and cutting hard, dry, ( and normally frozen, as winter is the only time they have to do this) hickory and white oak logs requires a 4 degree blade. 

I am guessing that the length of the teeth on the 7 degree blade give the wood fibers too much leverage.

The amount of reclaim and old logs that I saw may be unusual, so I try to hold my tongue, but the 7's just did not work for me this winter.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

ladylake

i saw mostly white oak and like 4* blades. I buy 10*, use them on easy wood then sharpen to 4* which I use for everything after that. The only downside is they take a bit more power.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Mark Webb

Thanks for the information, will grind the blades in the morning then go to it.
Mark

Mark Webb

Sawed the logs yesterday with a 4 degree rake and found out that water at full force REALLY makes a difference on the quality of the cut.
Thanks again, Mark

Thank You Sponsors!