iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker

Started by Bruno of NH, October 08, 2018, 04:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Why would one put there hand in front of a running blade?????????????
I cut mine 2 min after I got the mill. It only runs when you have the mill cutting wood. Why would one want to walk around while cutting to move something?
I stop the mill to move or cut something in the way.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

I think that Wood-Mizer has been installing a flashing light instead of a beeper on the debarkers!  My friends LT35HD has a flashing light!

On my mill, I cut the red wire and installed a micro toggle switch there, when I have anyone new around the mill I, unknown to the offbearer turn the switch ON!  Once anyone has had a few days working the mill, I turn the switch OFF if they complain!  Very few people know the switch is there!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

In my case my wireless remote needed a new speed pot, so I was running the mill from the console. When sawing with the wireless, there is a big red e stop button that kills everything but the engine. I would normally hit that button anytime I went near the mill. I was sawing 47' logs, so I had little room to work, and I had to trim the butt of the log. The debarker runs whenever the feed lever is in forward, so the blade was not running when this happened. You cannot hear the debarker running, or see the blade spinning easily in bright sunlight. The wire was fixed immediately. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

John S

Yes, the new debarkers use a flasher instead of the beeper.  I only had one client who objected to the beeper.  I guess WM engineers decided that the flashing light was more effective.  
Simple Set with the sliding scale was very effective.  My new WideHead with Accuset2 is getting more impressive each time I use it.  It has taken me a while to adjust to it, but it has proven to be very accurate and a great time saver.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Percy

Quote from: Peter Drouin on October 09, 2018, 06:29:36 AMI stop the mill to move or cut something in the way.
I do too But in this case as with Dave, I used the rehostat to stop the head movement.  
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Skipper11A

Bruno, what's wrong with your Thomas mill?  Doesn't that handle 36" wide trees?  I just called WoodMizer and they told me the LX150 uses 1¼ inch blades which means you'd probably have trouble getting flat cuts in wide slabs.  I wouldn't want to run a slabbing business with 1¼ blades, or tracks that bolt together.

If you need to upgrade, why not the Thomas 4420?  That monster is 44" wide, uses 2" wide blades and is only $11,500 with their No-Flex track.  If I'm reading their website correctly, it has a 44" wide cut!  And they are right next door to you.

terrifictimbersllc

Haven't got bit yet.  My debarker horn stopped working I should probably inquire about the flashing light.  I almost always eye that debarker blade with suspicion when walking around to check the lubemizer flow or for something else.  :-\ :-\ :-\
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

Skipper11a
The Thomas is a great mill
It will handle 36" logs but only cuts around 30"
The lx150 cuts 35.5"
The power up/down on the Thomas has no set works
I would like set works and a debarker.
And power feed and return
I like the noflex track
I don't think Woodmizer would put out a track that would bend
The lt 15 wide has been out a while
The lx150 bunks are set up to load with forks.
Anyone had any issues with the bolt together woodmizer tracks ?
I think my lumber would be more accurate with the Woodmizer. 
I cut 75% of my slabs now with 1"1/4 bands
Ripper 37 in a 7°
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 08, 2018, 08:19:27 PM
I seen all that orange at the sawing project
I can't get it out of my head😁
I feel your pain! You will be on the orange side soon! I can see it in my crystal ball!  thumbs-up
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Skipper11A

Bruno, If the 1¼ bands work in slabbing your wood, then stick with them.  I brought it up because they're not the best for slabbing the extremely hard woods that I have here, many of which are standing dead. 

It sounds like the LX150 is the perfect saw for you, especially with your knee problems. And it would satisfy that Orange bug that bit you last week!

k and g

Can the simple set be applied to an older model mill?  How much does it cost?

YellowHammer

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 08, 2018, 04:53:17 PM
Is it worth the extra money for simple set and the debarker?
Yes on the debarker, and add a few more to get Accuset.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

47sawdust

Quote from: k and g on October 11, 2018, 09:39:16 PM
Can the simple set be applied to an older model mill?  How much does it cost?
My mill is a 1997 LT30.That is as an old a mill the SS can be installed on.I just finished the install on my mill.I had to install a new up/down motor as well.It was a tight fit.The new SS came wired backwards so up/down was reversed,but a call to Indy solved the problem.
My math skills are pretty good but with the SS I can give that part of my brain a little rest and perhaps use it for something else ....memory loss,maybe.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!