iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shutdown Looming?

Started by Gary_C, June 19, 2011, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red oaks lumber

when a gov. shutdown costs millions per day why do they do it?  the bright side you didn't have to work on your birthday :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

chucker

its called " LEVERAGE" so each party hollars at their reps. to vent there feelings or views of the way it should be or should not be done to get what all parties use to their benefit!!!!  in other words to associate it with could be compromise??
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Gary_C

Perhaps some good news for loggers. I just heard on the late news that a district court judge has granted a temporary injunction baring the DNR from shutting down MN logging operations. There will be a hearing on a permanent injunction on July 11.

As far as the rest of the shutdown, it's become an ugly finger pointing show. Apparently Gov Dayton at the last minute dumped his demand for a tax on the rich but still refused to agree on a budget. I guess now he is just claiming to be protecting the vulnerable people that are dependent on state government. And apparently to back that claim up, the news told about a 39 year old unmarried mother of eight kids that is going to lose her $3600 a month payment from the state during this shutdown.  ::)

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bobus2003

Quote from: Gary_C on July 02, 2011, 12:17:14 AM
Perhaps some good news for loggers. I just heard on the late news that a district court judge has granted a temporary injunction baring the DNR from shutting down MN logging operations. There will be a hearing on a permanent injunction on July 11.

As far as the rest of the shutdown, it's become an ugly finger pointing show. Apparently Gov Dayton at the last minute dumped his demand for a tax on the rich but still refused to agree on a budget. I guess now he is just claiming to be protecting the vulnerable people that are dependent on state government. And apparently to back that claim up, the news told about a 39 year old unmarried mother of eight kids that is going to lose her $3600 a month payment from the state during this shutdown.  ::)

Never heard of Birth Control?

SwampDonkey

Your state has lots of money if the welfare cheques are anything like that. They wouldn't get half that here with all the kids she's got.

I think your governor is a corn ball for even mentioning it. Sounds like he needs to be ousted from his seat more than anything.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gunman63

Our state has been giving money to baby factorys for years, not just this  governor, then we give it to the sperm donators too, since most have a health issue, so they  cant work,ie: bad back, bi polar, depression, list goes on and on, and as long as we keep given, the state budget will never  stop growing, everyone wants to cut  taxes, but no one wants there programs cut, weather its state or federal its all the same.

Gary_C

Here is the best reporting on the request for an injunction. Apparently since the holiday weekend has started, there is no reporting on the judge issuing a temporary restraining order with a hearing for a permanent one on July 11.

Loggers asking judge to allow them to harvest during shutdown

WDH

That is good news.  They need to be stood up to.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ed_K

Vote them all out,BOTH parties.Hope Tues.is better logging.I'm sick of gov reg's and the rain.Longest mud season ever.
Ed K

jim king

I find this whole mess amazing.  It was not that long ago that Minnesota was worrying about what to do with the surplus.
On the side of this article are some house photos and prices.  They are hard to believe.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/statelocal/124920504.html

I also find it impressive that two of the people from Minnesota that were involved in creating the mess now step forward and want to be president.  Wow.

Cedarman

I thought the mess in Mn was caused by the present gov not signing a budget bill.
How is that in any way, shape , or form caused by Bachman or Pawlenty?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jim king

I think the problem was of several adminstations in the making.  $5 billion down would be hard to do in a couple of years.

Gary_C

Well the shutdown continues on day 7 and there is no solution in sight. In fact Gov. Dayton has come back with another tax he wants to add. The legislators have said we are going backwards.

The DNR is in hiding and ignoring the district judges injunction against the ban on logging operations leaving the conservation officers with orders to enforce the ban. To make matters worse, a storm went thru my job on the first day of the shutdown and devastated the area.

I have a lot of wood cut and buried under all the down trees.

Here is the main trail that runs thru the entire sale. It is blocked from one end to the other.

I am sure the job will become a salvage job, but I cannot do anything till the DNR comes back to work and appraises the damage. So in the meantime, I will haul what wood I already have at the landing and then move out. and if I move out, it will be some months before I can come back. So all that wood on the ground will start to rot and the bugs will have more to eat.

A number of people have said Governor Dayton is not alright mentally and I believe they are right. My wife has said that he has a funny look in his eyes. When he was our US Senator, he closed his DC office and went into hiding one day when they raised the terror alert and the press labeled him the worst senator ever. Dayton is making Jesse Ventura look like a good governor.

A sad situation for Minnesota with no end in sight.

SwampDonkey

Sure hope you guys over there can find someone who knows a little about governing then the current bunch. Maybe they're all waiting until Obama bankrupts the country.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

~Ron

red oaks lumber

whats the saying.... can't fix stupid :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

shelbycharger400

QuoteSure hope you guys over there can find someone who knows a little about governing then the current bunch. Maybe they're all waiting until Obama bankrupts the country

it wont be long swampdonkey...      This IS his "change"

submarinesailor

jim king

The land of 10,000 lakes.  No beer and now no fishing.  Sounds like something from a third world country.  This is from the Mpls paper today. ::)

Anglers fishing Minnesota waters without a fishing license are violating the law and face possible citations, state officials said Wednesday.

It doesn't matter that resident and nonresident anglers can't buy licenses because of the state government shutdown.

"It's black and white -- you must have a license to fish," said Tom Landwehr, Department of Natural Resources commissioner.

Some resort owners -- desperate to retain customers -- have been collecting license money from their nonresident guests and giving them receipts to carry in lieu of a fishing license, saying they will buy licenses for them after the shutdown ends.

That's no good, Landwehr said. "You can't have an IOU or say 'I intended to get a license,'" he said. "You must have a fishing license in your possession while you are fishing."

Violators risk a fine and court costs of about $150.

The DNR explained its position Wednesday after seeing the reports of resort owners issuing temporary fishing licenses, and after the Crow Wing County Board passed a resolution Tuesday seeking clarification.

Commissioners in that north- central Minnesota county expressed concern that resorts would suffer financially if customers can't buy fishing licenses. County Board Chairman Paul Thiede wanted the DNR to temporarily allow nonresidents to fish the Brainerd Lakes area without a license, if they agreed to buy one after the shutdown ended.

But Landwehr said not enforcing the law isn't an option.

"The bottom line is state law says you must have a license," he said.

The state's conservation officers still have discretion whether to issue citations or warnings, said Jim Konrad, DNR enforcement chief. But Konrad said Wednesday that the shutdown is no excuse to fish without a license.

"We certainly are writing some citations for fishing without licenses," he said. "And we're telling people they can't fish if they don't have one."

The state's 180 conservation officers have been pressed to do other tasks during the shutdown, and they are spending far less time enforcing game and fish laws. But they still are enforcing those laws, Konrad said.

Landwehr agreed his officers have discretion but said in this case the issue seems clear-cut.

"I expect when an officer finds a flagrant violation that they will issue a citation," he said. "This is a very simple thing: If you fish without a license, you're blatantly violating the law."

Meanwhile, fishing guide Tom Neustrom of Grand Rapids, a retired deputy sheriff, said the inability of anglers to buy licenses is hurting guides, resorts and other businesses. He's been guiding unlicensed clients and will continue to do so.

"We're telling them to come," he said. "This is our livelihood. What are we supposed to do?"

He tells his clients to bring enough cash to pay for a license and plans to explain that to conservation officers. He hasn't encountered any officers yet.

"It's a bad mess," Neustrom said.

Kansas

What's wrong with this picture? If the state doesn't have money to collect and issue fishing licenses how can they have the money to enforce said laws? Wouldn't you continue to collect money for the licenses so sales tax (assuming Minnesota has sales tax) on all the tourism, plus the income from the licenses, before you spent your money on enforcing it?

Coon

There is only one thing that left undone in this whole situation and there is a $1 solution that I am surprised nobody hasn't done already. We get rid of pests using it for doing far less than this Dayton creature has done.   ;) 
The effects of this situation are being felt up here in Canada.  Friends of mine were on vacation in Minnesota just recently and they came back to say that the state seems as if it is one whole ghost town.  They were so mad that they couldn't get their fix of fishing while there.   ::) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Gary_C

Quote from: Kansas on July 14, 2011, 09:34:59 AM
What's wrong with this picture?

There is so much wrong with this whole shutdown picture that I cannot say much more or this topic will have to be sent to the woodshed.

We have familys stopping along the side of the busy interstate highways to let their kids go in the grass, we have countless businesses shutdown like loggers that pay the state some $900,000 per week in stumpage payments and a major beer distributor that is being told to remove his beer from the stores in two days, and two state forests and a state park that were devastated on the eve of the first day of the shutdown with essentially no cleanup allowed. And the DNR foresters that were called back to do limited road clearings were threatened with firing if they did any of their normal work or even went into their office. And so many other stories that I can't even begin to remember them all.

There's no longer any "Minnesota Nice" in this state.

And as someone told me this morning, many people in the state are hoping that soon some mental institution will tell us they have taken Governor Mark Dayton back to the institution where he belongs. The rest of the people don't seem to have figgured things out or still don't care.

And just yesterday in Gov. Dayton's trip around the state, some public offical was imploring the Gov. to save their Jobz Program because the money was providing many jobs and they would not be able to compete with other cities in Iowa for new businesses. If I had been there, I would have asked the guy just where he thought the money should come from to pay for his local job program.  ???

Tomorrow starts the third week of this madness and there is no end in sight.  :( :( :(

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Gary_C

Doug, you beat me to it. I just read this story and now it will end. Here is a quote from our governor if you can understand it.

"I believe this is the best option for Minnesota," a weary-sounding Dayton said after his announcement in a speech at the University of Minnesota. "I know in my soul that I am doing what I believe."

??? ???

Oh well, it's over!       8)

Thank You Sponsors!