iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pulling some firewood!

Started by jaybe_2, June 25, 2011, 09:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybe_2

Hi My name is Jason and Im pretty new here. I dont do wood for a living i just burn 12 to 15 cord a year to heat my house and garage. I decided it was time to make my firewood cutting a little easier, and this is what I came up with. It started life as a vermeer trencher. I turned the trencher part into a winch. The winch is very powerfull and has 4 speeds so it can also be very fast. When I cut these trees they fell in a giant thorn bush, that is why I pulled them branches and all.

Maine76251

thats a neat little machine you got there!

Maine372

neat! looks like it might be a little light on the front just because the fairlead is so far behind the back axle but it obviously gets the job done.

tonto

nice set up there. I love it when we get older, we always find a way to make it easier. Why don't we do this when we are young? Maybe older and wiser. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

Magicman

Wow, that looks like a wonderful idea.  It should also be a good road/trail maintenance machine.    smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Welcome to he Forum, I can see you will fit in here nicely, posting pics already, love that machine.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

chucker

nice looking outfit! wondering what it tips the scale at for transport? length and width??
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

cutterboy

The machine is really nice but so is the fire wood its skidding. I love that size tree for fire wood, however, I might be tempted to take a log out of the biggest one.

Nice operation, thanks for the pictures.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ron Scott

~Ron

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

clww

First, welcome to the Forum! :)
Second, THAT is an awesome idea you have turned into reality there! Great job! 8) 8) 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jaybe_2

Quote from: chucker on June 26, 2011, 11:01:12 AM
nice looking outfit! wondering what it tips the scale at for transport? length and width??
I tips the scale a little over 7000lbs and is just a crum over 6' wide. I will have to get back to you on the length.

chucker

weight ratio is good for pulling a full cord of logs at 7 grand! 4 wheel drive and compact as heck!! you could haul it with a 1/2 ton truck an car trailer!!!  you the man!!!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

acco1840

Nice little LIMB skidder mate!! Well done on a great build.

jaybe_2

Thanks for all the kind words. I called today for a price on a set of double dimond ice chains but they said they will have to be made and would call me back with a price. I think a ring chain would be a rough ride on a tire this small!

Maine372

i bet the price will floor ya.  :o

i think a set of old truck chains cut down will do the trick.

jaybe_2

One of my customers just replaced the chains on his 748 john deere skidder and he said I could have his old ones. They are a double diamonds about half worn. Im thinking that it would be way to much work to cut them down though.

Coon

It's not that much work if you have a grinder with a cutoff wheel and a welder.   ;)  You would probably only need tirechains off of two wheels to have enough for the four chains on your machine. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

Nice rig. Do you really need the chains? I run my tractor with no chains. I'm just cutting firewood. Would come in handy when there is snow on the ground,but I get by. Now if I could get a pair for just about nothing I would put them on,without having to work on them for 2 weeks to make them fit.Kinda late now too,but I like to lay down some logs,skids, bed pieces,to skid-pile my logs onto. Keeps them out of the dirt,or keep my chain out of the dirt by keeping the logs up in the air.The first twitch is hard to keep the skids in place,but once you get a bunch of weight on the skids they stay in place.The skids are place the opposite ways the logs are.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WildDog

Nice piece of equipment and welcome Jaybe-2.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

jaybe_2

Quote from: thecfarm on June 29, 2011, 06:40:26 AM
Nice rig. Do you really need the chains?
I like cutting my firewood in the winter. No bug no leaves no mud, but we do have snow and ice so chains are a must have.

Bert

I agree thats a pretty neat machine and probably just the ticket for personal firewood. I dont know how much chains would help though in the middle of winter in the woods. Looks like it lacks ground clearance to me. About three spins of the tire with chains on might high center the machine.
Saw you tomorrow!

Thank You Sponsors!