iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Started by Autocar, July 09, 2011, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

At least thats what my wife says ;D When I parked my equipment trailer every lite worked on it. Last night I hook up to it and three clearance lites and four tail lites didn't work. Brake lites were fine so Ive worked half a day and guess Monday morning I will go buy more of the cheap junky lites and put new ones on. Ground wires are the biggest problem but the clearance lites are just junk as far as I am concerened !
Bill

chucker

a common factor when working with heavy equipment... remember the old saying "you get what you pay for"!!!  buy american made as much as possible........
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

Banjo picker

The biggest problem I have had with the lights ..are the little cheep connecters they put the wires together with...My trailer was made in Fulton Miss...about 40 miles south of me...It was wielded out pretty good...but they still wimped out on the lights...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

treefarmer87

you will always have light and tire problems with a trailer, i had to replace 2 tires on mine and my lights dont work at all :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bobus2003

Take your time with wiring.. Weatherproof all the connections with shrink wrap.. Weld up guards on the backside of the brake/turn lights and center lights (keeps the dirt, rocks, snow and water from pounding them going down the road).. Make sure the Clearance lights (all lights actually) that you hear the Wires "snap" into place. I did this 6 years ago to my GN flatbed and haven't had a light or wiring issue since, But it did cost me a little more in Time and money but well worth it in the long run

Banjo picker

Good idea about the shrink wrap and the guards as well....If I ever get around to it...any body got a pocket full of those...?  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

240b

pack all the connectors in Di-Electric grease

Ford_man

I rebuilt my gooseneck trailer about 12 hears ago with new axels and new wireing when I made a connection I sqeezed the crimp connectors full of silicone and then put the wire in and crimped them. Haven't had a single problem yet. The trailer sets all but about 5-10 days a year out side in the weather. It' Hitch up and go ;D ;D ;D

Magicman

Many lighting problems on trailers are the result of poor or improper grounding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

shelbycharger400

why dose anyone use the crimp together connectors...  :-\
they are an aluminum blade in plastic... and your wire is copper.   IE>>>> instant battery , slowly they  will corrode.
do yourself a favor and solder them.      back when i was workin on cars at the dealer level.in 2002..i bought 2 matco  butane soldering irons.   Still have both today.  One resides in the trunk of my car,  other in my toolbox.   i get flac bout havin it in the car, til someone wines their trailer lights dont work.... and i say $  i can fix that :)

Jasperfield

This further reinforces my belief that anytime you have to use a trailer or a ladder, things will not go well.

mad murdock

Quote from: Magicman on July 09, 2011, 09:13:14 PM
Many lighting problems on trailers are the result of poor or improper grounding.
Amen to that statement Magicman!  A lot of guys will depend on the connecton between the trailer and the tow vehicle (hitch) to provide the ground, but to minimize many headaches, it is always a good rule to actually pass the ground wire from the tow vehicle to the trailer through the electrical plug.  Stilll won't guarantee a problem free time with your trailer, but it does help.  A word about connectors, crimp type connectors are fine, if you don't go cheap.  We use silver coated copper connectors, they cost more, but are the only way to go IMO.  Amphenol makes some of the best. Marker lights are a pain, where I work the biggest problem with them is keeping them on the trailer ;D :o ;D, they tend to get wiped off a lot (literally).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

shelbycharger400

Quotethey tend to get wiped off a lot (literally).

i now that pain... on the big trailer... their is 5 marker lights on the back.. unloadin logs... ever once in a while..one rolls back..and CRUNCH.     

Ron Scott

Broken or non-working trailer lights are always a good excuse for the weighmaster to stop you for further inspection.  :(
~Ron

shelbycharger400

yep at 2-3 bux each...can cost you dearly!

Autocar

Thats the whole problem here in Ohio if you have fifty lights on your truck and trailer everyone better be working when you pull out of your drive way. I try to run with everything on the up and up but the P.U.C.O can fine you or red tag you for nickle and dime stuff. I will have everything working on Tuesday to move the skidder and thats about all a fellow can do.
Bill

Buck

That is what I thought when I originally saw this thread. I dont want anything on mine except what is required by regulation. ;)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Coon

I got stopped by the traffic cop the other day cuz my trailer lights weren't working.  I told him that they were when I left the yard.  He didn't believe me.....so I wiggled the plug and it came back on for a couple of seconds..... long enough that he just told me I had better get them fixed before I use the trailer again.  :D   I told him that little red wire wouldn't get fixed until the mud dried up.   ;)  He asked me where the wire was broke and I told him that it just needed taped up.  He said give me the tape already.   :D   :D  Kinda helps when I've known Dick for many years.   :D 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Banjo picker

I thought you were pushing your luck there for a minute....Most of the time a bunch of yes sir's go pretty good...Tim

Coon

:D   :D  Hes the only one I would EVER try that on.   ;D  If he would have had his partner along I would have never done it either.  I met Dick on the street in front of the post office today and he held up a roll of electrical tape and was laughing at me.  People sure gave both of us some pretty strange looks as if we were both about half nuts.   :D  If it were just me getting the looks I would totally understand but a traffic cop too??? 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

captain_crunch

All my conections are sodered but my biggest problem is Sheep Do not park trailer where they can get under trailer and redesign wireing >:( >:(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!