iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

flotation tires vs regular tires for Clark 665

Started by erin, October 23, 2018, 11:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erin

Considering newer tires for my 665 wondering if there are any stability issues with non flotation type tires, any input would be helpful.
Thanks E. :) 

Plankton

What size tires are you referring to as flotation? I have 23.1s on my Clark 664 and wouldn't go any smaller I know a lot of guys have skinnier but I love the stability

celliott

I also have 23.1x26's on my 666, I wouldn't want narrower for sure. You see a lot of 18.4x34's on timber jacks- those machines seem built for them. I've seen some Clark's with the tall tires too but I don't think I'd like it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Fether Hardwoods

With my 666D Grapple and 28L26's I feel very stable wouldn't want anything smaller than 23.1 on that machine. 

Maine logger88

I really like the 23.1 size tire it seems to work pretty well on both my 540 and 240. Although I wouldn't really call a 23.1 a floation the 664 i ran with 18.4x34s did seem to cut in more. I'm assuming yours has the really wide tires like are used in the south?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

erin

So I checked and the ones I have on now are 24.5-32
thanks E.

Fether Hardwoods

I would not want to run anything narrower on a machine that size unless you are operating on very flat and very dry ground.

erin

Thank you for all the help guys, really appreciate your input. :) 

longtime lurker

I run the 18.4 x 34's on a 666. She's stable enough, cuts in a bit more when its wet but gets a better grip when its dry too. I'd probably think about changing it if i ran a grapple but no complaints as a line skidder.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!