iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

260 problem

Started by teakwood, July 28, 2016, 08:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

I have a 10 year old 260 who damage the spark plug like every 2 month (once changed the spool) but now it has started to stutter real bad and to trow out a lot of blue white smoke. What could that be? diaphragm, seals in the carb? I have 2 260s and have owned 4 over the last 10 years, so i have some parts around. Any help is appreciated
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

dougand3

Sounds very rich - may be carb needs cleaning and rebuild kit. Or tuned leaner.
Is compression good? Might be ring is getting worn.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

ZeroJunk

Yeah, metering needle may be sticking. You can buy a new carb for that saw on eBay for less than $20 U.S. shipped. Not sure about how that works in Costa Rica, but I wouldn't pay $15 for a kit when there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem.

Weekend_Sawyer

What does the sparkplug look like when you pull it.

White or chocolate or black.

Are you checking the gap in the sparkplug?
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

teakwood

Well. changed the plug (the old one was black and grey just after 6h) put a new carburetor (a used one from a dismantled saw) in, checked clearance of the spool and flywheel and gave it a try. Works fine but after full throttle the saw keeps turning the chain in idle for about 10 sec and then slows down to normal idle. if i turn out the idle screw the engine stalls in minimum. should i nevertheless buy a new carbkit?? they cost 40$ from the stihl dealer  >:( >:(
Tomorrow the saw will get a full day of use so ill see if she holds up.

Is there a way to check compression on the cylinder without a special gauge? the piston looked super neat thru the intake window

teakwood

Definitely wasn't the right repair. The saw still keeps reving in idle and goes up and down. The dealer told me that sounds like a airleak. What do you think? As the saw is 10 years old and has at least 1500+ hours on it he thought that i should change the crankshaft seals and check the piston ring for wear

motohed

It sounds to me like an air leak , Check the pulse line and carb boot for cracks , make sure the boot clamp is on good . You may have to do a preassure test on it and check it for a leak down . If it holds 5 to 7 psi for a couple minutes it should be good .

teakwood

thanks for the info. The pulse line is? Te small rubber hose who goes from the the carb to the cylinder underneath the rubberboot? How do i make a pressure test?
Bought new crankcase seals, gaskets for the halfs  and zyl and try to find a piston ring. Everything was just 30$ for two saws. Because i have another 10year old saw who has the same sintoms

motohed

You can also do it with a vacume pump . you need to block of the carb and intake off with something that will seal them , stihl and husky both make the flanges needed , you will have to block the puls line as well . You can get a fitting , that will go in the spark plug hole with a nipple to attach the hand vacume pump or preassure pump . This should be your first test . I use pressure as I can put soapy water in a spray bottle and check the seals then selves for a leak if you have one . You will need to strip the saw down to be able to see the seals and center gasket , Etc . I also do a check after assembly , just in case something did'nt line up quite right . The pulse hose is the small one , thats from the cylinder to the carb

teakwood

definitely was a compression problem. Changed crankshaft seals, gasket on the halfs and cylinder, pulse hose, piston rings were still pretty tight so i didn't change them, gave the whole saw a good cleanup and she seems to run great. haven't tested in the field yet but pretty confident. all the parts were around 20$

Thanks guys for the help

Now i have a second 260 who has the same age and sintoms 

Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks for the update, glad you are back up and running.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!