iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Water/Transfer pump advice

Started by Brad_bb, August 02, 2013, 01:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I have a water line that runs to my shop.  I suspect a break in the line underground as it's sucking some stinky stuff into the line.  I am not going to dig this line and repair it because I'll be moving in a few years. 

But I need water at my shop for 2 purposes - to spray down the inside of my spray booth to knock dust down, and to supply my hot pressure washer.  So my thinking is to get a plastic tank that I can put on a wagon, so I can pull it with my utility tractor.  I can fill up at the pump by the house, and drive it over to my shop.  I will need a pump that I can connect a garden hose to. 

What pump should I use?  I can use a gas powered or an electric.  Will the pump have a max pressure with a pressure relief valve?  I was considering a small honda pump that could serve this use, and could be used in a flooding situation to pump water out if needed.  How big of a pump do I need to approximate my typical garden faucet?  The well tank pressure switch is set 40-60 psi. 

If I remember correctly, my hose faucet is about 16 gpm.  Does that sound correct?  The normal house hose is enough to supply my pressure washer.  Actually the demand of a pressure washer isn't too bad because it puts out less water but at high pressure/velocity.

I'm looking online at the Honda WX10.  It says 37gpm, max pressure 51 psi.  It must have a pressure relieve valve, right?  I assume set at 51 psi?

I was looking at the white tanks at northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  Maybe 55 gallon?

Opinions/advice welcome.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

QuoteI suspect a break in the line underground as it's sucking some stinky stuff into the line

Hmmm? Under pressure from the house end, it is sucking stuff into the line?
How can it do that? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

The water blaster or pressure washer shouldn't need pressure, just good water flow. Like you should be able to connect the tank to the waterblaster with a decent size hose, and as long as the tank is higher it will feed it?

So then to run a spray hose just takes pretty much any pump that runs "on demand" from a pressure switch?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wildbill

Quote from: Ianab on August 02, 2013, 05:13:30 AM
The water blaster or pressure washer shouldn't need pressure, just good water flow. Like you should be able to connect the tank to the waterblaster with a decent size hose, and as long as the tank is higher it will feed it?

So then to run a spray hose just takes pretty much any pump that runs "on demand" from a pressure switch?

Ian

we played with this theory at work with pressure washers.  we run 95 psi water pressure at the plant.  the pressure washers hook up to it and away they go.  however the pumps only last a couple years.  we put pressure reducers on some of the units and it didn't effect the performance of the pressure washer ( they seem to be lasting a little longer now too).  we also hooked up the pressure washers to a standing tank.  again the pressure washers performed normal.  after our testing we realized that the mobile auto detail guys do this all the time.  they haul 300 - 500 gallon tanks on trailers with a hose to their pressure washers.  if i remember right you nee to be able to supply a standard 2200 psi pressure washer with about 5 gpm and enough pressure to move the water through the hose is all.
Raider Bill's favorite son

NWP

Just use a portable electric submersible sump pump with a garden hose fitting. Cheap and easy and should supply what you need.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

When we had our green house I filled up a big tank and had a well pump,I guess you would call it a dry one,and I had a pressure relief valve and used that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

I once owned a Hotsy pressure washer that was trailer mounted and was gravity fed from a 100 gallon tank, so you won't need any boost for that and if all your going to need a hose for is dust I'd just hook up either a sump pump or transfer pump in line with a ball valve. Turn the valve, hit the switch and you have water.

Allan

Ed

Sounds like a big hassle to me. I would just fix it correctly and be done with it, I'm sure when you sell the new owners will appreciate it too.

Ed

Brad_bb

No, when it's sold, all buildings will be torn down.  Right on the edge of light industrial and large concrete warehouses.  I'll be moving to a new property where I'll be building.  So a portable unit like this would be useful there initially too.

So the question is, with a garden hose hooked up to the pump, when I have a nozzle on the end that I shut off while the pump is pumping, does the pump have a pressure relief valve so it won't blow the hose?

DaleK

Look for a 1/4 to 1/3 hp submersible utility pump. Won't blow your hose. Plug in as needed
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

sawguy21

The WX10 pump does not have a pressure relief valve, it is designed to pump continuously. Closing a nozzle will stall the engine and possibly blow the pump body o-ring out. It will also empty a 55 gallon drum in less than two minutes. What you are proposing won't meet your needs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ford_man

Just use your pressure washer to wet down your paint area that way all you need is a tank and a hose to the washer. Save your money! splitwood_smiley

Brad_bb

I want both.  One of my other thoughts after I move is to use the tank to do some watering of new plantings with.  So I will need a pump and garden hose for that anyway.

sandhills

If you need both I'd go with DaleK's advice, it will suffice fine.  If you can get by with just the pressure washer go with Ford Man, done both a bunch of times myself, put a 500 or 1000 gallon tank in a wagon for the pressure washer (on the ground) and let gravity do the rest  :).

Corley5

Quote from: sandhills on August 04, 2013, 11:00:47 PM
put a 500 or 1000 gallon tank in a wagon for the pressure washer (on the ground) and let gravity do the rest  :).

Yup, done that  ;D 8) :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

maple flats

I run my pressure washer by siphoning from a tank. That tank can even be on level ground. I just fill the hose and then connect it to the pressure washer. The hose must be full or it won't work.
If you do get a pump, a pump that specs at 51 PSI, will not put out more, no regulator needed, that is it's max capability. A submersible utility pump does well. I have one in a caged tote that runs my drip irrigation at one garden. I just fill the tote from one in my truck bed and then turn the utility pump on, it pumps well, mine is only 1/4hp. Then I have a low pressure shutoff switch I wired in to shut it off when the water is gone.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Vance in AK

I have the Honda WX15 & it's a great pump.  BUT, as Sawguy stated when you shut your spigot off it will stall the pump.  They are meant for continuous use.

Brad_bb

I also contacted Wayne pumps about their 12V transfer pump
http://www.waynepumps.com/solution-center/utility-pumps-transfer/pc1

but they told me that it does not have pressure relief either.  So it would not be a good choice for shutting off a hose nozzle.  You'd think this would be a more common thing?  That they'd have a pump just for this issue?

Dave Shepard

Shallow well pump, pressure switch, and an air charged pressure tank.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!