iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello, from East Texas!

Started by FascicleFolk, December 30, 2014, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FascicleFolk

Howdy y'all,

I'm new to the board and would like to introduce myself.  I live in the Piney Woods and enjoy the outdoors, though I don't make a living in the field (pun intended) of forestry.  My father has a newly-planted Loblolly pine stand (about 10 of 40 total acres— the rest is hardwood and coastal Bermuda) in Smith County and a few hundred acres of wooded land (no pines) in the Sulphur River bottom.  Some of the river bottom land was recently selectively cut to harvest drought-stressed trees and allow the best specimens to thrive with the decrease in competition.

I'm interested in learning more about forest management techniques, especially thinning and understory control. I'm especially interested in SYP species and the large-scale strategies of sustainable harvesting while restoring historical Longleaf and Shortleaf ecosystems.   

One thing I need to learn is how to post photos on this board.  I'd like to post a pic of a huge ash (5'-6' DBH—biggest I've ever seen) in the Sulphur River bottom, but can't figure out how...even though I've clicked the "Click here to add Photos to post" link, created an album, and uploaded the pic.  Guess I'm just dense :-).

I didn't lurk long before joining, but I can tell I'm going to learn a lot from you guys!  I probably won't post often, but I'll spend quite a bit of time here.  Great site and thanks for letting me join up!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Don't feel bad, most new users have some initial difficulty with the particular methods used to post photos on this Forum.  Just know that there are good reasons for the policies and procedures.

The good news is that it's not nearly as bad as you think and if you've got the photos uploaded to your photo gallery you are almost done.

This post will give you most of the needed details: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,93.0.html

Look forward to seeing more from you and if you still have problem, just give a shout and somebody who knows more that me will come along in a while...

Herb

FascicleFolk

Thanks, PC! 

You know, I love where I live, but I'm still a little envious when I see where you reside.  :( :D

curdog

Welcome folk, it's a good website with some helpful and knowledgeable people around here.  We made a few trips to Texas over the years and always stopped near you in Longview I think to get some at that good beef brisket. I think it was right along I20. I'm glad there's a few hundred miles between me and that place or I would be the size of a house.
Glad to have ya.

beenthere

FF
There is a pic in your gallery, so you can now click on that line "Click here to add Photos to post"

and when in your gallery (not Upload, but My Gallery) then click on your pic, it will enlarge, then just SCROLL down (many fail to do so) and you will see the choices to put them in your post. Click "Preview" to see that it has worked, and correct it if it hasn't. Then click Post.

Let us know if any steps didn't work for you. We'll help 'til it does.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Welcome to the forum FascicleFolk.

Texas Ranger

Yep, welcome, I am down in Livingston, so fire away with questions, If I cannot answer, we got some who can.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Buckshot00

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: FascicleFolk on December 30, 2014, 01:36:14 PM
Thanks, PC! 

You know, I love where I live, but I'm still a little envious when I see where you reside.  :( :D

FFolk,

I went through Texas a few time earlier in my life.  Once I drove from Lafayette LA to El Paso in one driving session...

All I can remember is miles and miles of nuthin but miles and miles...

Once again, glad to have you here.

Herb

timberking

HELLO back at you Folk from ETex

FascicleFolk

Thanks for the warm welcomes!  Let me see if I can post a pic (thanks for the directions to do so). 

I think I did it!  By the way, this is an ash (I think it's a green ash) less than 100' from the Sulphur River.  Have y'all ever seen one this big?  My buddy standing next to it is 5'07", for scale.  This tree somehow escaped previous cuttings in this area.

beenthere

Looking at the multiple stems that make up that ash tree, it may not be too surprising that it was passed up during a previous harvest. Maybe it was left to spew out seeds, besides not likely to be very sound in the middle of the butt log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

The champion green ash in Texas is 71" in diameter.  That is 223" in circumference.  That one would be easy to measure.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Welcome again.  Congrats on the picture posting and thanks for the intro thread.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, FascicleFolk. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
That's bigger than any ash I've seen around here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

FascicleFolk

Quote from: WDH on January 03, 2015, 07:59:36 AM
The champion green ash in Texas is 71" in diameter.  That is 223" in circumference.  That one would be easy to measure.

Thanks for the info!  I'm definitely going to measure it when I get back up that way.

so il logger

Thats a big ash tree. Too bad it wasn't 70 foot to the fork. ;D I have family down your way live near lake o' the pines. Nice area  8)

timberking

Better measure quick, EAB just over the state line in Ark.  Quarantine in place.

fordw60s

EAB is in North East Texas in Harrison, Bowie, Cass, Dallas, Denton, Marion, Morris, Parker, Rusk, Tarrant, Titus and Wise counties as of 2022 by capture in traps . It has also been found in Japer and Newton counties in deep east Texas. 

Manage Forests and Land | Emerald Ash Borer TFS (tamu.edu)

Thank You Sponsors!