iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green Slabs

Started by liveoak70, November 10, 2011, 12:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

liveoak70

Need some input on the value of green rough sawn slabs. I've got a guy that says he will buy large slabs (30"+ width) by the board foot. He will take walnut, cherry and sycamore. What is the going "wholesale" rate for these species?

beenthere

Without some qualification as to quality and appearance of the grain, seems to be pretty wide open what the "rate" would be, especially if there is a wholesale rate. One can get a pretty plain walnut slab, and can also get one that is loaded with figure.
Guess you need to put some prices out there for the "guy" who says he will buy to bite on or turn down. So much will depend on your buyer, hard to tell beyond him.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

liveoak70, as beenthere said, all depends on grade and character of the piece itself, the higher the quality and figure the higher you can ask. I go by current market price, and go higher if it includes a crotch or figure that is seldom seen. and then it comes to thickness,the thicker the better(more bf) for you and less sawing too. after all that said,I have gotten as much as $30BF for the best AAA highly figured crotch slabs in cherry and walnut and as low as $3 for regular plain jane stuff. I live in an area where I can market to high end guys and farmers alike. I also live near Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford,Pa take a look at there web site and see for your self what kind of prices they are asking. the next thing is that you are selling green slabs,you will have to knock off on the price accordingly. hope it helps ya. Tim

Bibbyman

The problem I'd have is coming up with logs big enough to make 30+ wide slabs.   Walnut and cherry don't live to that big very often.   Sycamore can get that big easy enough but around here they would likely have shake in them.

You got logs that big?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

T Welsh

Bibby, Yes not every day, they do not come from logging. they come from the tree service end,they are back yard trees,pasture,fence row and anywhere else they want to grow(urban logs) are what they are. Mostly the logs are of poor quality like (the million dollar walnut logs) but every now and then we catch a good one. Our high dollar logs go right to a specialty hardwood dealer, the lower quality logs I some time keep and saw for myself. I try to get the maximum value out of each load that we bring home,I actually double drip. I get paid to remove and then process into veneer,saw log,firewood or pulp or chips. 

This is just one example of a walnut about 2 months ago. Tim

5quarter

Liveoaks...I don't know if their is a wholesale market. The only place I know to buy unprocessed slabs is a sawmill. I think if I were to sell wholesale, I would price them by the pound. set a minimum, say 1000# and don't let him cherry pick you. Special planks sell separately and not by the bf. food for thought.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!