iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hope June is a better month......

Started by CTL logger, May 24, 2013, 05:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTL logger

I had my weekly breakdown, almost made it without one. The machines take turns guess I should be thankful they do. This time is front idler on processor it froze solid, machine has 4500 hrs a new one is about 3 grand. I talked with a Komatsu rep to see if they could help me out with the price one said no so I called higher up the food chain and he said he'd see what he could do. Worst part is only one they have is in Tennessee at the factory, so it won't be here til Tues. Apparently they run in oil but no manual tells you this my parts guy did the one rep said they are unserviceable, I said the plug crimes out I could have checked oil on regular basis had I known. I filled it with blue creeper last night they said when it cools down and I soak it maybe it will turn and I can fill bit with oil and run it til new one arrives. I'm sure the way things have been going it won't budge. I wasn't looking for a free idler just a little help on the cost if the machine had a pile of hours I would understand but it doesn't.

snowstorm

if its built like what deere used in the dozers it has a pin and bronze bushings. the seals were flat face steel seals all filled with gear oil and not much of it. if it hasnt worn through the bushing into the idler you may be able to save some of it.

Autocar

Three grand for a idler pulley there nuts anymore on these parts. I would rebuilt it to CTL logger specks !
Bill

CTL logger

Got it to move blue creeper must've worked dealer said to fill it with oil and run it said it can't get any worse. I think if I got the seals and bushings took it to a machine shop had them weld the surface and machine it back to original specs.

240b

put a zerk fitting on it. And the other one too.  Sealed for life is a joke.

snowstorm

Quote from: 240b on May 24, 2013, 12:45:09 PM
put a zerk fitting on it. And the other one too.  Sealed for life is a joke.
doesn't work. i tried that on a dozer years ago just to get by till the new one came in. you would have to grease it every hr. the old 420 jd's had button head grease fittings on the idler and the rolls they needed a lot of grease often

CTL logger

The grease would be too thick to do a lot of good. Should have new one on Tuesday, one week left in the month see what breaks next week. The whole month I've had a breakdown a week that's cost two days everytime. It started with the ring gear on the disc saw it somehow broke all 14 plug welds that hold it in place. Then the top knife needed rebuilt. The forwarder must've been jealous so it quit starting had to jump it 3 days in a row, dealer sent new batteries down, the alternator was charging so I put the new batteries in ran a day and a half and died on the way to the landing. Spent a day trying to get to the alternator to find it had blown the 100 amp fuse  put it in and all was good now the idle. Here's hoping next month is better.

barbender

CTL equipment is great, when all is going well. When it's not going well it seems way too complicated  :(
Too many irons in the fire

240b

they make track roller grease for this application. almost like thick oil. nasty stuff.

Thank You Sponsors!