iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Barn, White Barn, Brown Barn, Blue?

Started by kwendt, March 25, 2015, 11:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwendt

87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Hilltop366

Nicely done Jeff, they all look nice.

I am a solid color stain fan, it is suppose to breathe and not peal but wear off, which would require less prep work when it comes time to re-coat usually just a good wash with bleach / water mix and rinse. No need to prime.

I really dislike scraping.

thecfarm

I said red once and now I know red is it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, here is my input :Dark brown with dark green metal roof.  ;)

Magicman

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 26, 2015, 11:48:46 AMI am a solid color stain fan,
I too prefer solid base stain.

Our Cabin was stained in 1995 and still shows no sign of weathering.

The freshly stained additions blend in without any color changes.  The only difference is the wood texture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

use a solid color stain for sure :) :)
i like the red with white trim and black standing seam roof .
JIm/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Roxie

Some of the prettiest barns in our area are white with a blue metal roof. 

@Magicman that's so pretty! 
Say when

kwendt

Just found a Cabot dealer not 40 minutes away! I'm kinda worried that the totally weather beaten boards won't take stain. I love the look, but I don't know if the poor thing was ever stained or painted. Totally neglected. When we crib it up to replace the rotted sills, there will be a lot of new wood needed to replace rotted siding especially along the bottom. All new windows and doors, replace the shed and entry. So the mix of old and new... Well, I think I'll need to paint to cover it all up. Right?
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

kwendt

Quote from: Roxie on March 26, 2015, 03:35:10 PM
Some of the prettiest barns in our area are white with a blue metal roof. 

@Magicman that's so pretty!
Ditto! Hum.... The house? Lol

DeerMeadowFarm

If you use paint, use primer! We bought an above ground pool a few years back. My daughter loves to swim! Anyway, we wanted a deck around it instead of just a ladder, so I built one. My wife was campaigning for vinyl railing (the vinyl is final idea). I told her I didn't want to spend the money on vinyl railing for a pool deck that who knows if we'd even keep it after our daughter grew up so I offered a compromise: I'd put vinyl railings on the front deck of the house and we'd re-purpose the cedar ones from that deck to the pool deck. She agreed as long as we could paint the rails and spindles before putting it on the pool deck. I countered with, I do the construction, she does the painting. She agreed and went off to Sherwin Williams. I told her to get a good primer like Kilns or something. She came back with some paint that "had primer built in". Riiiiight.....
Now I know painting a ton of spindles is no fun and takes a bunch of time, but I told her she was taking a big chance. "The guy at the store assured me I didn't need it" is what I heard. Paint has peeled. It actually peeled in year 1. I told her she now has to strip the remaining paint, prime it, and re-paint it. She said "But the guy at the store assured me I didn't need it..." I told her she should go back to the store and ask the guy (who I'm sure probably doesn't work there anymore) if he'll come and repaint everything then.
Lesson learned, prep, prime, and paint! A job worth doing is worth doing right!

4x4American

Oliver green or John Deere green is fine with me.  Looked good to Charlene!
Boy, back in my day..

Corley5

Some of our out buildings are red with aluminum painted steel roofs.  There's a farm in the Gaylord area with it's out buildings painted green with white trim and roofs just like Jeff's picture.  I really like that combination  8) 8)  There's too many red barns out there  :) :)  Barns are green, tractors are red  ;D :D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

4x4American

Tractors are green, barns are red, anything else, stays in the shed!
Boy, back in my day..

Corley5

The green ones stay in the barn looking pretty while the red ones get the job done.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brleclaire

Whether you paint or stain that dry wood will suck it up like a thirsty camel. If you want a good looking job plan on 2 coats.

Brucer

Dry, weathered wood will suck up so much stain that you'll start to panic.

The second coat uses a whole lot less and goes on a whole lot faster.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Also, you have to use a solid base stain.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

An airless sprayer would come in handy,but not on a windy day.Passing cars,your house,will all pick up a little drift from the over spray.Mine works well and makes short work of a big job.
On new house construction we spray all the roof trim (soffit,fascia,rakes)before the windows and finished roofing are installed.We use a Lull,one man driving,one spraying.It takes longer to prep and clean the sprayer then to spray all the trim.At 68 I like to work just not off a ladder.
As others have said that siding will be very thirsty.A solid stain is a good choice,the darker colors will fade with sun exposure,but then they all will.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

kwendt

Thanks everyone. I have a sprayer, actually.  But it's so windy up on the ridge... And stain over paint, got it. Solid color stain,  multiple coats. Match the stain color to my tractor color, got it...  ;)

Another question... My Mainer forestry friends... how much floor space does your portable saw mill take up? I've got center support posts inside the barn (24x30) plus the 12' shed area.

Hilltop366

Most paint gurus will say that any exterior paint or stain should be brushed on, If sprayed or rolled it should be gone over with a brush.

4x4American

I have the answer to your paint choice question,  red white and blue!  Or maybe paint a big ol glory mural on her!
Boy, back in my day..

kwendt

Quote from: 4x4American on March 27, 2015, 05:35:34 PM
I have the answer to your paint choice question,  red white and blue!  Or maybe paint a big ol glory mural on her!

:D :D :D :D  Actually, I was thinking of a mural with an anvil/hammer, an apple tree, an American flag, and a field of oats. It's the Wendt Farm and Forge! Or maybe just paint the REAL Tractor on there too... 1950 Ferguson TO-20! 

Holmes

By the look of that barn  Ox and yoke may be more appropriate than a tractor.  ;D  :)
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!