iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member, pic posting question

Started by WVDieselcrawler, April 11, 2015, 07:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVDieselcrawler

Hello all...

I just joined, looking to learn more about timbering and milling. My wife, kids, and I moved to our 117 acre farm about 2 years ago, and I want to responsibly harvest some of the timber. Some will be sold to a mill, some I'll saw on my friend's Peterson ASM swingblade mill. I take pictures often of a lot of the things I do and share them openly on two other forums I frequent. I download to a.  p h o t o b u c k e t account and simply incude the 'show image' type link in the text of my post which shows the pic and all can see.

So my question is this: am I correct in understanding that I cannot post pictures that way? If so that is going to greatly dampen my enthusiasim for sharing my photos, as its a whole extra set of steps I will have to make time for. What is the reasoning behind the 'no outside links/photos' restriction?

I ask this with all due respect, and intend to offend no one, just want to better understand the thought process of thoes who have designed and set up this fine site. I look forward to learning and sharing my experances. And understand and follow the rules while doing so.
Greg
Stihl saws & weedeaters
John Deere 3005 tractor 4x4 with loader
3 Ford trucks with 7.3 Powerstroke
Redheaded wife and 6 kids, at home on top of our 117 acres of prime WV hillside. 4 horses, some cats dogs and rabbits.

Jeff

I suggest you go down to the help section and read the rules on posting photos. Our rules have been in place for 15 years and it works well for us.  From the forum rules page:

SHARING PHOTOS
Photos used on the Forestry Forum must be uploaded to the Forestry Forum servers. Linking to photos or photo galleries outside of The Forestry Forum servers is prohibited and they will be removed. This policy can be considered written in stone. The reason for our strict policy on photo's is to protect Forestry Forum posted content for perpetuity.

With that, you can be assured when you go back and look at posts from a dozen years ago, the photos posted will still be there unlike almost any other forum on the internet.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

Welcome to the forestry forum. If you go to the main page at the bottom there is a help section that has all the info you need to create a gallery and post photos. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

The extra steps is not all that much. Just make a gallery,I like to seperate my pictures and name my albums. Yoy won't find too many dreaded red "X"s on this forum. Meaning the link to the picture is gone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WVDieselcrawler

In time, Im sure I will take the steps needed to post a picture when I have something significant to add to the thread. Its just less likely to happen as often as it does on the other sites I am a member of... a tractor related site, and a Ford diesel site.

Just wondering the reasoning behind this long-standing restriction. Not complaining, just trying to understand the philosophy behind the rule.
Greg
Stihl saws & weedeaters
Redheaded wife and 6 kids, at home on top of our 117 acres of prime WV hillside. 4 horses, some cats dogs and rabbits.

Jeff

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WVDieselcrawler on April 11, 2015, 09:39:48 PM
Just wondering the reasoning behind this long-standing restriction. Not complaining, just trying to understand the philosophy behind the rule.

The reasoning is actually quite simple. If you link to photos at other sites, there's nothing the Forum can do when the photos are deleted from those sites or those sites are shut down or otherwise compromised. On the other hand, if you upload a copy of the photo to the Forestry Forum gallery the Forum will ensure that it is available as long as the Forum exists (Long may it log on....)

I'm sure we'd all like to see your photos and learn more about you and what you do.

I hope you'll come to understand the situation here and participate in all the Forum has to offer.

Herb

WVDieselcrawler

You'll never miss what you never had...*grin* no loss to get over.

I'm not discouraged by this rule and will happily comply.

Can I upload my photos from my p h o t o b u c k e t account to my gallery on this site, or do the files have to originate on a PC? By doing that, a copy of the photo in file form will be copied to my gallery, not the link... will that work and comply with the rules? I take pictures and download them to PB regularly and then delete them from my smartphone, as its storage space is very limited, hence the PB account.

I guess its not that big of a deal, I am more likely to enjoy and learn from the threads and pictures posted by other members than the reverse... my little saws, little trees, and little tractor skidding them out arnt likely to impress meny anyway.

I look forward to absorbing the information avalible here, and will hope to be a valued and respecteful member.

Thanks for the replies.
Greg
Stihl saws & weedeaters

Ianab

I think you will have to do a 2 step process.

Find the pictures on PBucket and save them to a temporary folder on your PC.
Then upload that copy to your FF gallery.  You can then delete the temporary local copy.

As long as the photos are yours, or you have permission to use them, you aren't breaking any rules.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

I removed the upload from URL functionality years ago because people could not grasp the concept of copyrighted photos. It made it to easy to suck a photo they found on the web into their gallery. After being contacted and "vigorously encouraged" a couple times in the early years about removing photos posted here that belong to someone else, I took that easy way to steal someone's photo away.

thecfarm

There are many that would like to see your "little" operation.  :) 
I have been to other sites,probably to the sites that you mentioned and I was a member too and have gone to a post about a nice tractor or whatever and they mentioned something that they built or use it for and they posted a picture and than there is no picture!!!  :o  Now that does alot of good. 
This is also a "safe forum" Some pictures on photo bucket are not "safe" for a 12 year old to view. Another reason for The Rule.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WVDieselcrawler

I agree that it is anoying and frustrating to look at a thread that could have been exactly what you needed to answer your question only to find the picture missing.

My issue is not having a PC to use readily available and using my smartphone as my internet surfing device. So picture that I may likely share are going to have been downloaded to PB unless they are 'that day' type of recent. Which, if I am posting to get advice or direction from the members here, is likely to still be on my phone, and I can download to my FF forum gallery before I delete them.

Posting of my old pictures will be where the extra steps come into play, and I will figure that process out.
Greg
Stihl saws & weedeaters

scsmith42

WVD welcome to the Forestry Forum.  Jeff's rules have been in place for many years and they work well. 

As you become more involved with the forum, I think that you will find that it is the single best source of all around forestry, logging and milling related information on the net.  Plus the members are quick to offer sage advice (when requested) about just about anything (and they usually know what they are talking about).

Sit back, read the archives, and enjoy.

On a side note, tell us about your diesel crawler!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

pabst79

All I know is that from the time I take a photo with my samsung galaxy, It takes about 30-40 seconds to put it in a post, once you learn the steps, its rather easy, I promise  ;D.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Thank You Sponsors!