iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insurance

Started by Arthur, August 29, 2004, 03:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

What are the regulations for Insurance for Mill use for the private and contract millers America.

Here in Australia each state has different regulations and discription of mills.

in Queensland and West Australia you need an operators licence.

in Queensland you also need to register the mill.  The loophole is with portable mills where the cutting unit moves over the log, they are not classed as sawmills and dont need to be registered.

etc, etc.  wont go into all states as it gets messy.

Paul_H

I haven't had much success finding an insurer for my mill yet.I tried tacking it on the household insurance,but it was a no go.

I imagine insurance must be extremely high in Australia,what with everybody driving on the wrong side of the road ::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

OneWithWood

Not to mention upside down :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Paul_H:

Why wouldn't 1,000,000 general liability cover ya?  That's all anyone has here with portable mills.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Paul_H

I dunno ???

The lady at the insurance office couldn't find anything on portable mills but said we couldn't tack it on household.I would want the mill itself to be covered by fire,theft etc.

The first time I ran the MD this year,as the saw came back toward me dragging the board,I noticed to my horror that the gas tank was on fire(just filled the tank) I quickly went to my truck for the fire extinguisher but it was in the backseat and my winter jacket was in the front,so I smothered the fire with the jacket.
The mill returning to me on fire reminded me of the time I threw a stick out by the pond for my dog Sadie.She was in the long grass looking for it and then came back to me in a panic...covered in a carpet of Yellow Jackets.

It takes a few seconds for my brain to process......."hey,waitaminute,I don't think the mill should be on fire"

It really got me thinking about insurance for a few days....
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Arthur

We can get basic fire and theft coverage here as long as the mill is chained or locked up in a secure area.  Exclusions are if left in the bush setup ready to work.

We help the insurance premium by having a register of owners that can be looked up when buying a second hand mill to make sure the person you are buying from is the owner (insurance companies like that).

What we can not get is operator insurance even for those who have done an Australian acredit course and hold the ticket for operations.

Seems to me that you have even greater problems in America.  

??? any insurance from Europe???

SwampDonkey

Your insurance agent isn't very knowledgeable in my opinion.

Here is a thread from woodweb

Here is what you need.

Click Here

Very surprised your agents didn't know this. I know it is offered in Atlantic Forestry Magazine and your mill manufacturers should be quite familiar with this.

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well, no need of starting a new thread on this. Insurance has been a common topic, so here goes my blurp.

I told the local insurance broker that it was time to find a new underwriter for my Liability Insurance. I told them, under no certain terms, that I wasn't gonna give no 'surance company $4000 for liability insurance. They tried to convince me that because I write reports, such as timber cruises and management plans, I'de have to have that 'spensive Professinal Liability. I said I know quite a few fellows doing the same as I am, that only need general liability. They almost had me convinced there was no other way. I said you better find an underwriter to do the same for me. I think these brokers run such a racket, that they want to find the highest priced insurance so their commission increases. What was $4000 a year, just dropped to $1000 a year with a little effort on the brokers side and a little bull headedness on my part. ;D

Roxie

Doesn't that feel good!   8)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!