iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Most useable Mill length?

Started by OlJarhead, October 24, 2012, 10:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I think that is a good plan.  A 16" pine versus a 26" oak are very different animals.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

I'll go the 20" max on a manual mill, unless it is a very special log or circumstance.  Even then, save it until you have minimum to no time constraints to 'bother' you.  At 20", I sure wouldn't want anything over 10' to handle on the mill.  Well, maybe ERC.   ;D

WDH, I do believe I see some improvements made.   Looks good. 

On the length, I can cut 20'.  But, the only thing I would normally cut that length are framing materials.  Maybe some posts/beams.  Mine will, but handling a log that size of anything worth sawing that length can be a real challenge by hand.  Also, a mention on length as far as the mill deck goes, I would suggest utilizing the length of the rails (moving shorter logs) as much as possible.  I have noticed a bit of wear on the rails over the years. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Bill Gaiche

Okrafarmer

I would do about 17' to give you that extra foot of leeway. Really 6", since you do want to leave a little trim on the logs. Get yourself going with the LT-10, then once you're established, get a used hydraulic mill.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Sixacresand

I got an bed extention with my Lt10.   I try to avoid the long, fat, heavy logs.  But it is good to know I have the capability.  Presently I have 6' lumber stacked, stickered and drying on one end of the mill. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Doesn't sound like there is much cost difference between getting a trailer long enough to do 14' logs (which means 17' trailer) vs. 16' logs (19 foot trailer) so I've suggested to my guy to plan on making a 20' trailer and I'll use the extra space for a longer rail (meaning I could do over 17' logs) for storing stuff etc.

dgdrls

when your done, I hope you load a pic or two.
I'll add this, inquire about a torsion bar axle,
it will save you the height of the springs over the axle,
and they tend to ride smoother.

DGDrls

Too Big To Fail

My mill can cut 20'6" logs, and my first job was 4 days cutting 2x12x........20'6"  :)  Fortunately the guy had a forklift for handling.  To get that length I have to tuck the log into the carriage head.  I find myself wishing I could do 24' but that would be too much trailer I think.

OlJarhead

Have at least two different people coming to look at our ATV trailer (8x12 flatbed) and if I can get it sold off then it will over about 75% of the cost of building my mill trailer :)

With luck I'll turn this conversation into a build thread!

OlJarhead

SOLD!

Now I just have to get started with the trailer build.  I'll get some pictures once it gets started and start a specific thread on it.

Thanks for all the feedback!  I'm going with a 19 foot minimum so I can cut 16' logs so the trailer will be 20' unless something comes up.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Erik

Bill Gaiche

I have a few more photos of my clamps and back stops. I only have 2 each. I use a 2000lb winch to turn my logs and it has turned every one so far just fine. I have a manual boat winch to operate my toe board. Hope this helps and you can look in my gallery for a few more photos. I tried the torsion type springs, china made, and one settled down lower and made the mill set at an angle. Then built the spring over pipe axle and wish this is what I did the first time. You may have better luck than me on the torsion spring. bg

OlJarhead

Great pics!  Thanks!

I'll have to discuss with my trailer guy (I'm not the metal work type but he's willing to have me help him to reduce costs -- his offer -- and yes, great guy!) about how we can set up to do these kinds of mods later.

First I just want the mill on the trailer pretty much as is except maybe a toe board attachment to lift the end of the log.  Then if I start getting business then I can do some other stuff to help make it easier to operate alone (I like the 2000lbs winch idea with the log turner).

Okrafarmer

You can also use a hydraulic jack for a manual toe board lifter. Install it (permanently or semi-permanently) in your frame. Then it's easy enough to make two of them (now or later), so you can lift either end of a log, meaning you don't always have to put the big end one direction.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Solomon

Quote from: nomad on October 24, 2012, 09:03:22 PM
     Don't forget that longer logs usually mean fatter logs.  The LT10 can only take so much diameter.
I dont know we have a lot of pine here in Va and I see a lot of them 80 ft tall  straight up 60 ft before any limbs  and their 12 inches in diameter.   Looks like yellow pine to me but I could be wrong,
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Okrafarmer

Some pines definitely do that. The ones you are looking at probably are some type of yellow pine, though white pines can be slender too. Some trees have a very low aspect ratio, and a very low taper ratio. Others-- hmm. Not so much.

Thank You Sponsors!