iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cabin Addition

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Looks like the Cabin Addition will take priority over a vacation trip this next year.  At least the Magicwoman is wearing her Alaska shirt as she points out to me where she wants the new living room on the Cabin.

The yellow tapes are marking off the back porch and mud room.

Those rocks in the foreground are marking off 16', 18', and 20'.  Looks like the new room will be 16'X20'.

I hauled a couple of loads of free SYP logs last week.  This will be my framing lumber.

Cross hauling (parbuckling) a couple of 20' logs.

I have six more free trees to pick up.  That should give me enough lumber to build the addition.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Those are some nice sticks. With all this finger pointing and directing I was wondering if she was offering to tail boards to. :D ;) You folks are upscaling, when some like to retire and downscale.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic that will be a good size addition to your place and those are some nice looking free logs you have there they should do the job nicely Im looking forward to the progress pics Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Stephen1

i'm glad you had some input into this project, you seem good at taking directions...
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I have no choice.  I've seen her shoot, plus she is a good cook.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

I always drool just a little when I see you folks with good framing lumber trees show pictures.

On 2nd thought I always drool just a little regardless. :D

Magicman

:D :D

My wagon is loaded.  I'll saw and sticker first.  Since the trees were lightning and beetle killed, the framing lumber will dry quickly.  I'll then lay the foundation blocks.  That is the back breaking part that I'm not looking forward to. 

I plan to use reclaimed barn lumber for the interior.  The ceiling will be metal shingles that I removed from my Grandparents old home before I removed it.

My goal is to be finished by July 4th.

Warbird

Quote from: Norm on December 23, 2010, 08:06:41 AM
On 2nd thought I always drool just a little regardless. :D

Me, too!  Of course, I'm usually drooling at the mills. 

Nice work, MM.  Guess that cup of coffee is going to have to wait another year eh eh

Magicman

Quote from: Warbird on December 23, 2010, 10:58:21 AM
Guess that cup of coffee is going to have to wait another year eh eh 

:-\  Yup, put it off at least a year.

I should be sawing today but I'm too busy being lazy.   :D

Norm

Quote from: Magicman on December 23, 2010, 02:44:06 PMI should be sawing today but I'm too busy being lazy.   :D

Need any help! :D

SwampDonkey

Well, who wants to work Christmas week into New Years anyway? ;D  :D 8)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Where do you put in the application?
Bill

Magicman

Time for a brief update.  When this project was put into motion less than a month ago, I had no logs for any of the lumber.  I was considering using sycamore and oak for my framing lumber.  Well, things just happen.

All of these logs were free.  I just had to fell, buck and haul them.

The first 20' log gets sawed.  It yielded all of my bands (sills) and most of my long rafters.

Jasperfield

What did you use to skid and load?

cjfrank

Those look like darn good free logs magicman, were does a man get more of them. I like that
cjfrank, 1976 clark 664 skidder
Model 4000 Iron Mule Forwarder
1958 JD 620 Tractor
1990 peterbuilt straight truck with lemco loader, 2009 Woodmizer LT40 w/12' Extension

SwampDonkey

Sure looks like nice lumber coming out of those logs.  :)

Magicman

Quote from: Jasperfield on January 05, 2011, 08:11:50 PM
What did you use to skid and load? 

No skidding.  Just drive up beside them and do this.

Pull up, reset the ramps, and load the next one.

Then, do it again.  First thing you know, you have a load.

If dark catches you, go back tomorrow and get the rest.

SwampDonkey

Sure is nice to be able to pull in a yard or field and do that, no fetching in the woods. You have some nice buddies.  ;D :D Usually what you would expect here is what the wife is doing, pointing and directing where to go in those thick woods and brush for your logs. :D :D :D Ok, so they might be on a landing, but a muddy one. ;D

Magicman

If you look at the logs, you will notice that the pictures are of 3 different loads.   :)  I actually hauled 4 loads.

Don K

Good score Lynn. If those are lightning strike trees that died it looks like the bark is still pretty tight on them. As i drive up and down the roads my eyes are constantly spotting bown top pines and I think " Sure would like to have that tree". I covet a dead pine more than my neighbors wife. :D :D I have my eye on 3 right now, trees that is. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

Nice whack of logs.  That reminds me, I need to pick up a load of free logs today, or the owner is gonna burn them.  :o
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Fish, Do you want a 34" Pecan, or am I going to Hack-N-Squirt it?

Stephen1

It looks nice and warm for getting those logs, opposed to me on Sunday picking logs up , that were buried under the snow, and slip and slide as I try to parbuckle them up the trailer, change gloves that are wet for dry ones, try not to sweat to much under all the heavy clothes, so you don't get cold when you stop working....
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ljmathias

Magic: pecan makes some pretty lumber especially at that size- I cut up a couple last summer that are stickered and drying now and the boards look great.  I'd grab it if it's sound and make some nice quartersawn boards at 4/4 or 5/4...  if the trunk is straight, I'd definitely make something out of it.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

I'm carrying all that my wagon will hold now.  Fish is considering coming over with his swinger and getting it.

I may finish sawing the Cabin Addition lumber tomorrow.  Plus, a couple of saw jobs are starting to push. 

Thank You Sponsors!