iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Surgery cancelled-rescheduled- completed July 12

Started by doctorb, June 28, 2011, 09:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

My surgeon had some medical issues come up the morning of my total hip replacement, so the procedure had to be cancelled. I'll let you guys know when the train's back on the track. Thanks for all the concern my FF friends have voiced.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

WDH

We figured that you were already under cold steel and lights.  Any idea when you will be re-scheduled?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doctorb

Depends on his diagnosis and recovery.  Don't know enough yet to even guess.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

beenthere

How dare those surgeons get medical issues and have to cancel. ;)

I'm sure you don't want to have to be waiting around for a reschedule time, but keep us posted.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Are you going fishing instead?  ;D

Reason I asked is because of a neighbor and friend some years ago that had a bum knee and was scheduled for the replacement surgery on the Friday before the fishing opener here in Minnesota. His brother stopped by the hospital on their way up north to go fishing on the morning of the surgery and found him sitting on the bed all dressed and ready to go fishing. It turns out that early that morning when the nurse came in to shave his leg, he asked why she was shaving that leg when it was the other knee that hurt. So they had to cancel the surgery because they did not have the correct replacement knee and he went fishing.   :)

Not that you would do that of course as now days they probably have more inventory of replacement parts.   :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Raider Bill

Cold Steel and Hot Lights!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

jim king

QuoteCold Steel and Hot Lights!

And hammers, chisels, knives, drills etc. , it sounds brutal.  I would not want to watch  :-X

Bandmill Bandit

My Wife had hers done last November and all has gone well in spite of the anticipated complications that were a result of a childhood condition known as legg perthyes (Not sure i spelled it right) physio was the tough part but she is gardening like she was 20 years younger this spring. Her knees took a bit of a beating during the recovery but they are settling back to normal again too. Good luck and prayers are with you. You will work like you were 20 years younger too.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Norm

Well that sucks!

Hope your doc gets better so you can get it out of the way.

badpenny

I could loan you my table saw for the incision, no hurry on returning it, I won't be using it for a while. :D :D :D :D :D  Self surgery may not be the best, however.

Seriously, hope all goes well for you
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Bro. Noble

What a bummer-----I'm sure you had yourselfr all psyched up for it. 

I got to wondering if knowing everything that is in store for you during the procedure makes it easier or harder?

In any case hope all goes well,  we'll be praying for you and your Dr.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Scott

That's a bummer when you're all set for the surgery.
~Ron

doctorb

I have to temper my disappointment of not having my surgery today with concern for my friend and partner.  He needed emergent cardiac catheriterization and stent placement today.  He is doing very well.  He wants to return to his surgical schedule next Tuesday!  We are very lucky that he was not in the middle of my procedure, or anybody elses, when this event occurred.

I have great respect for this man.  He is horrified that my hip wasn't done today.  Sure, this blows up my plans for recuperation, but......so what!  He's fine and will get another chance to put a hip in me when the time comes.   Sounds like I might get a little fishing in!

sandhills

Sorry to hear this, hope everything goes good for your friend, I'm sure this setback didn't help either one of you.  If you gotta find a bright side though, it might be the best fishing you'll have all year  ;).

Norm

Well at least he has a good excuse for taking the day off!

Glad he's OK though, that would be darn scary to happen to a guy.

Bill

Hope your doctor friend is OK and you both make speedy recoveries  ( good health being one of the most - the most ? - valuable things we can own  )

doctorb

He's doing well.  New surgery date - July 12, 2011.  Let's see how he does over then next week or so.....

Sort of puts the cap on any chance I had of attending the Pig Roast.  Sorry about that.

SwampDonkey

Just like a good doctor, diverting attention to his patients and don't dwell on your own health.  :D ;)

I hope your own doctor recovers quickly so you can get on with taking care of yourself. There must be a couple record trout up here swimming and waiting for when your ready to go fishing again.

A bit of sad news, a retired doctor from NB who was 83, went fishing salmon on the Mirimachi River and fell out of his canoe and drown and was lost until Tuesday. He was also a member of the Atlantic Salmon Federation. The rivers are very high and swift from all the rain.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Well,to look at that with rose-colored glasses....

If the good Lord decided to take me quickly at age 83 while I was fishing', it wouldn't be a bad way to go....

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Me personally would rather it be at 93.  ;D

Warbird

Glad your friend is doing well, doc.

Patty

We are all thinking about you today Doc. Best of luck with your surgery!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

doctorb

Surgery went great this morning.  I have already been up and walking!  Thanks for all the good wishes.

Norm

That's great news doctorb! :)

Mooseherder

Awesome!  Good to hear you're walking...wow :)

Texas Ranger

This is a goose and gander type thing, DocB, I have read some of  your posts where you basically said to take it easy and follow the Doc's, the other Doc's, orders, so, with all due respect.

Do what they tell ya, and go easy.

Oh, and congrats, I am watching your progress, my left knee is approaching warranty work.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jim king

QuoteI have already been up and walking!

I am sitting down just thinking about it.   :)

submarinesailor

Good for you.  Here's to a speedy recover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

scsmith42

And remember, you don't need to prove the old adage about "doctors making the worst patients..."!

Godspeed for a complete and expeditious recovery.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

I bet that you are a fine patient  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks for the good report doctorb.  I don't even want to think about it 'cause my left hip doesn't hurt as badly as my right.  I just blame it on handling lumber, slabs, logs, chainsaws, chains, tongs, cant hooks, shoveling sawdust, plus taking about a thousand steps every day.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

Glad to hear the waiting is over and you are on the mend. And now the rehab starts.  :)

fishpharmer

Doc glad to hear your up and at it!  I wish you a speedy recovery and hope your fishing soon.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jim king

Doctorb:

I told my wife you were getting some replacement parts and below is her note to you.  Getting closer.

Dr.
Thank you so much for my health, thought of Jim and Pat for 8 month's.  I am using things and trying also my animals.  I hope your at your things as I want of you.  THANK YOU. 
I feel to help you on your help at all I have from your success in your health today.
Pat

beenthere

Jim
Those were some very thoughtful words expressed in that note from your wife. Thanks for sharing her progress.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

Jim-

Please thank your wife for her thoughts.  Please tell  her I am doing extremely well.  I had PT this morning.  Did steps and walked the hospital floor with crutches.  Again, it is a very rewarding situation for me to receive sentiments from your wife.

Gary_C

Sounds like you are ready to go home. How long do they plan to keep you?

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dan_Shade

it sounds like you'll be running marathons in no time!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doctorb

I ran several marathons in my young adulthood.  Maybe that's why I  needed the hip replacements

Dan_Shade

at any rate, glad to see you're up and about  :-)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sandhills

Glad to hear it went ok and hope your recovery does the same!

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

clww

Doc-Glad to hear of your successful surgery! As it sounds that you're doing well, I wish you continued success while you recuperate and progress with the PT.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

First full day at home after surgery.  My wife is a saint.  Don't know what I'd do without her.

Norm

SwampDonkey

Welcome home, and listen to the wife and behave yourself. :D

badpenny

Glad to hear all is well, remember, rehab is a bugger, this time you are the patient, so two important words to remember would be "yes dear". Wishing you a speedy and safe recovery. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Patty

Quote from: doctorb on July 15, 2011, 05:38:25 PM
My wife is a saint.  Don't know what I'd do without her.

Every man should memorize these words and repeat them on a daily basis!  :D

So glad to read you are recovering quite nicely, Doc.  :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Memorize them...after you made me tattoo it on my butt I don't have too.  :D

Warbird

LOL Norm and Patty.  Docb, glad you are recovering well.

Ernie

Great news Docb  Jan is a new woman since her hip replacement in spite of not following the surgeon's advice  as accurately as I wanted her to.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

doctorb

Really wasn't planning to provide constant updates, as I expected things to go smoothly.  Well, everything was fine until Tuesday AM.  I had increasing pain and redness in my left foot and great toe joint.  Couldn't bear weight on the limb. By last night my pain in my left foot was worse than any pain I had experienced in my left hip since the procedure.  I took more pain meds last night than at any time post-op.

There's only one possible diagnosis - acute gout.  By this-afternoon the symptoms have started to subside.  Can't put a shoe on it yet, still can't bear weight.  Saw my doc today and I am the 3rd recent case of this he's seen.  Started on Colchicine.  Well see if that helps.

Why does the post-op period seem to collect cases of gout?  Gout comes from Uric Acid crystal precipitating within your joint, which leads to an incredible acute inflammatory arthritis.  After a big surgery, the patients have some internal blood loss - hematoma formation, which must be resorbed.  Lots of proteins needing to be broken down in the hematomas. The proteins are degraded into uric acids, and, if the concentration is high enough, they can precipitate inside a joint leading to what we call gout.  These things are usually self-limiting.  We'll see.

beenthere

Sorry to hear about the setback. Hope it doesn't last too long and the pain subsides.

I can attest to the terrible, unbearable pain that comes from gout. And colchicine was my "friend".
Before that, was Indomethacin, almost continuously.

But for the last 10 years, the discovery of Allopurinol has kept the gout at bay.
What a pleasant relief now that it is over, compared to the previous 25 years.
south central Wisconsin

Jeff

O had a bout of gout a few years back after a fall from my tree stand. I didn't know what was going on until I googled sudden and severe pain in the big toe.  Hope your's subsides as fast as mine did once I got the meds. If one has never had it, it's pretty painful.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

I've got to echo Jeff's last statement.  I have examined hundreds of patients with acute gout attacks during my career.  You can work in the pits of the Indy race circuit your entire life, but you'll never truly understand what it's about until you drive that car.  I have never before felt that degree of exquisite pain, so, I fully understand what my patients were going through.  Hopefully, this is a one-time event due to the surgery.  

SwampDonkey

My uncle had it quite bad a couple winters ago, could hardly walk. Had it in both feet.  Then with all the hobbling around involved from the pain his knees got bad to. He's had the gout now off and on for 12 years probably. Probably about the worst darn thing to come down with.

Ernie

I get it when I eat too many scallops or cashew nuts etc  I was prescribed various anti inflammatories which were marginally effective.  The best thing is an ancient remedy called Colchecine  used by the Romans a couple of thousand years ago.  I take 2 tabs every 2 hours until the symptoms disappear or I get the runs.  The doc (new one) has warned me that this is not a good thing to do but for the last 27 years it has worked a treat.  PS: I rarely need to take enough to get the runs ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Gary_C

You mean that gout pain is worse than getting up in the night to go to the bathroom and stubbing your toe on the bed post or some other immovable thing that was not supposed to be there?  :)   :D :D :D

Jeff

Quote from: Gary_C on July 20, 2011, 09:11:51 PM
You mean that gout pain is worse than getting up in the night to go to the bathroom and stubbing your toe on the bed post or some other immovable thing that was not supposed to be there?  :)   :D :D :D

You can bet it is.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

If gout pain feels like nails going through the bottom of your feet than I have had an attack before.
It happened while I had to run across an Airport terminal to catch my connection.
I was wearing boat shoes and thought that the shoes were defective.  At the time I had to put the pain aside to try and catch the flight.  When I got to the gate and took my shoes off is when I realized there wasn't anything wrong with them.  That was a couple years ago now.  I don't think it has happened since then.  Musta been something I ate. :D

jim king

doctorb

No Jim,  I am not into pain In a weird way :D. I used the word exquisite because it was so sharp, so intense, and so focused.  Better today.

jim king

Doc , that makes me feel better.  I was thinking you guys had a secret fan club of pain types  :o.

I bet a nice fishing day and a cold beer would help.

doctorb

Things are better.  I can put full weight on my foot.  I still have some residual soreness in the ball of my foot at the base of the great toe when I weight bear.  Feels like walking on a badly bruised injury.  Moving from 2 crutches to 1.  Walked 1/2 mile this am.  Yeah, I am gonna make it. ;D

Gary_C

Good to hear the recovery is progressing. I recently saw that after some surgeries you should train like an athlete. So crank up that treadmill and push it to the max.  :D :D

I kind of did that after my heart surgery and it sure made the physical therapist nervous. They had to tell me a couple of times to slow down. I was in pretty good shape when they let me loose, but it's been all downhill since. Just too much sitting in an air conditioned cab running joysticks.

jim king

Doctorb:

It is quite really quite amazing that a person can be deboned like a quarter of beef and put together again and be walking the same day.

Just the same I am going to walk less and sit more and hope  for the day that they can regrow parts without dissecting me.  I am allergic to pain , even the thought of it.

doctorb

Jim. You're right.  We are still using a 40-50 year old mechanical solution when a biological correction would potentially last longer and avoid surgery.  The problem for me was trading a painful day at age 60 versus the hope that something better might be available when I am 70 or 75.  Never know when your time is up!  So I want to be active and pain free between now andthat medical advance.  Not much of a choice ,really, given the degree of pain and disability I've  been experiencing prior to this surgery.

doctorb

Boring update - I know 

Down to one crutch.  Important because I can now carry things in my left hand.  One misconception patients have is that they think a single crutch or a cane (my next step) should be held in the hand on the same side of their operation or injury.  Not so.  A single crutch or cane should be used in the opposite side than the weakness.  If you want to see how not to use a cane, watch the TV show "House".  His gait is ridiculous because he uses the cane on the wrong side!

Driving now, as the new replacement is on my left side.

No more pain meds.   

Everything seems to be progressing nicely.

SwampDonkey

Nice to see your coming along anyway. Crutch and all.  ;D

Ernie

Have you got your entry in for the next marathon.  Great to hear you're on the mend.

Shotgun

Glad to see you progressing so well, Doc.  You'll be playing tennis in no time.   ;)

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

Don't push it too hard.  You don't want a crutch replacement.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!