iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circle Mill Powerplant Motor Cradle ???????

Started by UNCLEBUCK, December 05, 2004, 05:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLEBUCK

I have a old 671 detroit with low hours that I am taking out of a truck crane for use on my mill. Is there a simple cradle that I can make for it and will a rockford clutch bolt onto this . If anyone has photos that would be great. If Bro.Noble sees this post I hope he can say it one more time how to make and mount the motor because I think it was he who told me what to do . I am ready to build the cradle now.Thanks  :P
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

D._Frederick

Uncle,

What does your 6-71 have for a power shaft? You should be able to remove the your power shaft from the flywheel. The clutch mounts to the flywheel and the output shaft bolts to the cast iron flywheel cover.

UNCLEBUCK

Hi D. ,  I got everything unbolted and the motor is ready to come out of truck crane . It has a big transmission behind it right now so I better atleast take lift the motor out and set it on the ground . Here is pictures from 2 weeks ago before it got cold out and snowed . The motor picture is taken from directly above and standing behind the motor .The other picture is from way behind looking forward towards the transmission .  I got books and a 5 gallon bucket filled with wrenches and this baby is going on the mill ! I will will know more of what the back end looks like within a week .

This might take a few weeks to get setting on a cradle of some kind but I am comitted to get it .Let me know if I go wrong ok .

WH_Conley

Is there a clutch on it now?
Neighbor of mine runs a circle mill off a truck with a 671, cut frame took front tires off and hooked it up with the truck transmission, I don't know about direction of rotation, never looked at it that close.
Bill

UNCLEBUCK

Hello WH_ , Yes the clutch is in it now but I can tighten the bolts and leave it on and take it out with the motor from what I think your saying. My sawblade is hammered for 450 rpm and I better hook up the fuel line again and start it up and check the rotation and also see if I can get 450 rpm out the back of the tranny . I cant believe this , this is good news . Thanks for saying this. That might mean I dont need a rockford clutch right ?  I can spin the tires when I drive the crane around , the sticker says it weighs 147,000 pounds and made in bay city michigan .I paid 1000 $ for the whole rig so I figured I finally found a good place to park it for 50 years and steal a motor.

WH_Conley

Directional reverser if you need to change rotation.
If this is the drive engine in that old picker 450 no problem,
gear reducer, to slow down, stepper to speed up, or back to basics, the old time way, belts. Two different size pulleys with with multiple belts worked for years. Whatever toe output rpm just do the math on circumferene and you got it. I know where two pulleys are laying right now that are off an old mill, probably exactly what you need. Only problem, shipping probably run more than you can buy them local. There are several mills around here set up close to this way, if you need me to it just takes a matter of minutes to get to any of  them, I can run and look them. Let me know
Bill

rpg52

If you want/need more advice, there is a Detroit Diesel board at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/
There are some old mechanic/engineer guys on that board that would dearly love to put in their $0.02.  I used their advice in planning out my project of using a DD 3-71 for my mill.  I'm using an old differential to reduce the engine rpm's to 550 for my sawblade.  Good luck.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

D._Frederick

Uncle,

If you use the output from the transmission, you should go with a direct drive with a power take-off shaft that has a slip clutch in it. At that low of Rpm (450) it would take some heavy duty belts to stand the torque.  Since you will now have the HP to run your saw, you sure could use more RPM on the saw. It would sure cut faster with 600 + or - 50 rpm. Might think about having it re- hammered.  

What does that 6-71 have for a governor? I think that they had an over speed control on them, but don't know if you could set this for a constant rpm.

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

UNCLEBUCK

Ok Wow thanks for the suggestions , yeah I am hammered for 450 rpm . I will take all this good and juicy knowledge and have at it . If I get boggled I will be in touch but for being so big and heavy duty I sure have alot of room to work in the engine compartment and its turning out to be kind of simple but I almost screwed up from the start by leaving the transmission . I suppose I will have to set something heavy in where the motor was for ballast but I have the outriggers wedged good with white oak wedges and railroad ties. I got the complete detroit manuals for it too . Thanks D.,rpg52,WH,BUZZ ! Always good input !

Thank You Sponsors!